Old Manchester cinemas

The Palace in Middleton. Also, used to be a cinema years ago in Blackley, on junction of Rochdale Road / Victoria Avenue - that was demolished for a KwikSave shop which is now also no longer there

ABC Cinema Higher Blackley. Built in 1932, closed 1973, changed to bingo hall , demolished 1985.

IIRC when I went there Saturday mornings, as an 'ABC minor', it was 6d to get in and 1d for Spanish Gold. That was the sum of my spends.

Anyone remember The Alhambra on Ashton Old Road, close to Fairfield Road ? I played in it when it was disused when I was a kid, ended up being an Indian Restaurant called Al Hambra.
All demolished now for Morrisons.

You don't mean the Regal? Big place which later became the Levenshulme Bowling Alley and more recently a huge tow storey curry place where you can get all your can eat for a tenner. No beer though so you had to dash across the main road several times to get a pint in the Levenshulme between the loads of courses you could have.

We lived opposite the Kingsway so that was out of bounds because it was my dad's haunt and we would go to back street pubs in Fallowfield off Moseley Road and down Burnage Lane to the Vic and the Farmer's in Burnage. The Midway opposite the Levvy Farmers was also a rough house with at least one murder there.

To avoid being accused of not talking about cinemas I did mean that we lived opposite the Kingsway cinema! It burned down about 1960 just as we moved there. Not guilty!
Ah. It might have been the Regal, can't remember now. Regal rhymes with Eagle so you're probably right, I must have been pissed :)

I had an uncle that lived opposite the Kingsway for years, not a pub I particularly liked.

I might know you by sight, the Vic was my first pub and later the Farmers was my local for years.

All the years I went in the Vic I only once saw the landlord, his dragon wife Jean ran it. She once barred my brother for laughing too loud!!

The landlord in the Farmers was an ex cop called Barry Huyton, kept it decent and now owns Huytons coaches.

I've not gone off topic because I remember both those two constantly used to bore you shitless reminiscing about old cinemas.

I got the impression you were a little kid confusing Eagle/Regal. You must have got pissed at an early age.

I was never a fan of the Kingsway, not then not ever, although it was a pre match meeting place before dashing off to Maine Road, sometimes even the Swamp. Did your uncle live on Kingsway or Mauldeth Road side, Or should I say the Kingsway cinema side to keep on topic?;-)

What time frame are you talking about? It has all come back about the absentee landlord of the Vic - people used to say she had done him in. I remember all the old Irish blokes who who sat by a bay window, know at Galway Bay for some reason.

The landlord I remember in the Farmers previously had the Abercrombie in Bootle Street and was known many policemen because of that. Not a cinema not a pub but further down Burnage Lane was St Bernards youth club where we took our first fumbling (literally) steps to get to know girls. I believe the Gallaghers went there in later years. Bonehead lived with his parents on Kingsway about half way between the pub and West Point. On the same side as the cinema;=)

there was one in romiley , on the corner of sandy lane , then it turned in bingo hall ! and the one in woodley ! the building still there , its called the palace , used to be a snooker place !! happy days

I remember the M.I.P (THE MOSTON IPERIAL PALACE) last time I was their it was a indoor market,oh happy days

I got the impression you were a little kid confusing Eagle/Regal. You must have got pissed at an early age.

I was never a fan of the Kingsway, not then not ever, although it was a pre match meeting place before dashing off to Maine Road, sometimes even the Swamp. Did your uncle live on Kingsway or Mauldeth Road side, Or should I say the Kingsway cinema side to keep on topic?;-)

What time frame are you talking about? It has all come back about the absentee landlord of the Vic - people used to say she had done him in. I remember all the old Irish blokes who who sat by a bay window, know at Galway Bay for some reason.

The landlord I remember in the Farmers previously had the Abercrombie in Bootle Street and was known many policemen because of that. Not a cinema not a pub but further down Burnage Lane was St Bernards youth club where we took our first fumbling (literally) steps to get to know girls. I believe the Gallaghers went there in later years. Bonehead lived with his parents on Kingsway about half way between the pub and West Point. On the same side as the cinema;=)
Yep I did start drinking early but not that early, a vimto ice lolly did my head in those days.

My uncle lived on the West Point side of kingsway in sight of the kingsway cinema, if that was where you lived I'll pm you his name.

I moved from Burnage around 1976 but kept going back to the Farmers for a few years after that.

I went to st Bernard's school but only remember a rambling club in the cellar of where the priest lived, I don't know whether that's the same.

The Gallaghers lived on either Western or Eastern circle, my nephew went to school (and the cinema) with Noel. Their mum was still living ther up to a few years ago might still be there.

Gagging for today, starting at 1. Have a great day!

Yep I did start drinking early but not that early, a vimto ice lolly did my head in those days.

My uncle lived on the West Point side of kingsway in sight of the kingsway cinema, if that was where you lived I'll pm you his name.

I moved from Burnage around 1976 but kept going back to the Farmers for a few years after that.

I went to st Bernard's school but only remember a rambling club in the cellar of where the priest lived, I don't know whether that's the same.

The Gallaghers lived on either Western or Eastern circle, my nephew went to school (and the cinema) with Noel. Their mum was still living ther up to a few years ago might still be there.

Gagging for today, starting at 1. Have a great day!

You too, just about to put my best party frock on.

PM your uncles name and house number my mum and dad seem to have lived very close to there for over 40 years.

The mention of the Cintra reminded me that after you paid your money there was a long walk through a corridor containing thousands of budgies. In the lulls in the action you could hear the little blighters chirruping away. We cannot omit the Wycliffe on Princess Rd. when we mention old cinemas. It was the epitome of flea pits, a place where it was best to wear overalls.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.