Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarsLlama

Was thinking about Kompany earlier and realised we may have a dilemma. With Pellegrini, as soon as Kompany was fit he came into the team- even when it meant disrupting an increasingly solid Otamendi/Mangala partnership. I don't know if Pep will be the same.
We've seen before that Pep doesn't have a lot of time for injury-prone players, and if Otamendi and Stones are playing very well he may prefer to keep that going than break it up with Kompany, when he is likey to get inured again a month later. It's easier for a CB pairing to play well if they play together consistently.

That said, I'd love for Kompany to overcome his fitness issues. If that happens, it's then an issue of who to drop of Otamendi and Stones.

Was thinking about Kompany earlier and realised we may have a dilemma. With Pellegrini, as soon as Kompany was fit he came into the team- even when it meant disrupting an increasingly solid Otamendi/Mangala partnership. I don't know if Pep will be the same.
We've seen before that Pep doesn't have a lot of time for injury-prone players, and if Otamendi and Stones are playing very well he may prefer to keep that going than break it up with Kompany, when he is likey to get inured again a month later. It's easier for a CB pairing to play well if they play together consistently.

That said, I'd love for Kompany to overcome his fitness issues. If that happens, it's then an issue of who to drop of Otamendi and Stones.

I think that has been a major factor in our defence looking disorganised and contributed to players not being able to settle.

I'm confident Guardiola will recognise that and not repeat Pellegrini's mistake.

When he gets fit - I would love to see a 3 of:

Otamendi - Kompany - Stones
me too. Not entirely convinced that the full backs in midfield work. Worked defensively, but when Sagna and Clichhy were in advanced positions they were not that effective. Work in progress. I think it makes sense for Guardiola to stick with a certain style though until the players have it down.

me too. Not entirely convinced that the full backs in midfield work. Worked defensively, but when Sagna and Clichhy were in advanced positions they were not that effective. Work in progress. I think it makes sense for Guardiola to stick with a certain style though until the players have it down.

Imagine how good Fernandinho would be in that full back / holding midfield role though.

I don't think we'll see Kompany as a first choice again.

Stones is going to be the focal point of this defence with someone tough and uncompromsing next to him.

The mascherano to the pique, or the pepe to the ramos. I think kompany is competing with stones now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.