Basel (H) Post Match Thread

People saying result doesn’t matter are wrong. It’s the message it sends out to other teams we will soon be playing. Playing Yaya is just pointless I don’t get it! There seemed a lot of uncertainty by Stones , Danilo, Laporte. Lots of passing to players that had a man directly behind them and then losing the ball.
Didn’t think BT commentary was that bad to be honest.

sorry but i cannot be as carefree as some on here People actually paid to see that crap tonight. its never good to lose .and getting really worried about Stones who seems to have lost confidence Plenty out there just not good enough .Only Sane played with any passion. Apart from the goal Jesus spent most of the time on his arse and needs plenty of games After signing laporte and Stones i still think i prefer Vinny and Otto fack it i fancy a serious drink, to remind me that Jimmy Frizz is not our gaffer and we havent time travelled back to the 80s

Silva, De Bruyne, Ederson, Kompany, Otamendi, Aguero and Walker all got a much needed rest, and we went through to the next round. What's not to like?

One of the things that impressed me most about us lately is our game management. You see it quite often in games that we go ahead early, and we could go for the kill, but we just take our foot of the gas and pass it around a bit. It's absolutely needed given our schedule.

I'm surprised that some thought that this game would be any different. The earlier rounds of the Carabao showed us what
happens with more than a couple of changes. I was just surprised that the 1st half was a tad entertaining.

I have said for weeks mate, play the best team every game and only until a player has played himself out if the side does a replacement come in.

Winning sides don’t get tired.

Bayern took their foot off the pedal once the league was over under Pep and the lack of momentum did play a part in Costing them a CL under Pep because Bayern were easily one if the top 2/3 sides in Europe under Guardiola and should have won it considering their dominance of play and overall quality.
I agree...to a certain extent. We have just come through a very important, and intense, 3 game WINNING stint, players are knackered and playing with knocks that no-one talks about, and the game was won weeks ago. There are a raft of players who need game time if we are going to win things this season AND NEXT, and this was the perfect opportunity to cover ALL the bases.

Monday night will be here soon enough, and fit and healthy, raring to go, is how I prefer my first team players. Win that game and we are a MAXIMUM OF 9 POINTS FROM 8 GAMES FROM BEING CHAMPIONS. That was more important tonight, imho.

You thought they played with no pride tonight?

I thought it was a 2nd/3rd eleven playing in 2nd gear with some first team players not wanting to get injured, others getting some much needed minutes in the legs and others like Foden and Diaz running their arses off and gaining a lot of experience.

This was a tie we needed to win and we did it 2 weeks ago.

Tonight was a training exercise for all intent and purpose.

You might not like it or agree with it but that football at this level but to suggest there was no pride in the shirt is well, pure hyperbole imo.
This. Every word!

Bullshit if you think Pep is happy with that. The players who are struggling to play in the first team made zero case for inclusion in future games. The younger players were hung out to dry by the lack of application from senior players. Sane and Bernardo first half tried. The rest were pathetic. Simple as.

He won't be happy but he won't be overly critical or worried either.

It's called having some balance.

impressed with brahims contribution. hope to see him produce in any minutes given after we wrap up the league. think he's ready to backup raheem next season
Totally agree with you Diaz looks the business. Very comfortable on the ball and going forward.

To the ****s who decided to boo the kids and reserve lads who played tonight, kindly fuck off elsewhere with that attitude. Can’t believe what I was hearing tonight, and to the individual who said he should ask for his money back?? Christ if you want it back after tonight can I have mine back for the large part of the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s please.

He has a point. The drop off in quality when Kev, Dave and Sergio aren’t out there is disproportionately steep. Had it not been for Leroy and Bernardo (1st half only) and a decent cameo from young Diaz, I’d have rated that as the most toothless City performance of the last 5 years. We had over 900 passes and only one shot in the final 55 minutes of the game. Our back up players have got to have more zip than that. Jesus in particular I thought was awful and Stones sloppy beyond belief in the 1st half. Good for Foden to get a run out and Jesus will of course improve dramatically once he gets his fitness back, but all in all that was fucking piss poor stuff.

Corrected , the drop off in quality when Ederson , Walker , Kompany ,Ottamnedi , Mendy , Sterling , DeBruyne , Merlin , Aguero , Fernandinho arent out there is disproportionately steep , just the ten players rested /not available tonight. Agree regarding Foden and Jesus but also Diaz was superb when he came on , not sure about piss poor Exeter but certainly diappointing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.