Pablo Maffeo

Maffeo was excellent for Girona up to Xmas.
After that his form dipped so coming back to City to play second fiddle for Walker is no good for Club or player.
IMO Danilo has done OK at right back cover, just as a RB not in other positions.
I presume a buy back clause has been inserted so if he regains the form that he displayed against Messi & Co we could see him back here.

People need to remember where we now sit in European football now, we are one of the top 5 teams in Europe and anyone trying to get into our squad needs to be from the top draw. Why is it when we are looking for players to supplement our squad we are looking at players in the region of £50 million+, because that is what it cost to bring in players of the standard to improve us. You don't have £50 million players sat in the academy waiting to be selected by Pep. Sure if we were a bottom 6 team with limited options then the kids are more likey to get a chance but this not the case. As long as we have two or three players from the academy at any one time pushing for a place in the squad then I am happy. Think back 2 or 3 years and everyone was raving about Barker, Denayer and Kelechi and giving them a place in the squad. Would you have any of them back at the moment based on what they have done since being moved on?
Anyone who thinks that in 5 years time we will have 6 first team starters from our academy needs to give their heads a good hard wobble.

Issue is Walker is world class in his position and Danilo is serviceable and cost £27m. Walker has another 5 years in him at a high level. I wish we had kept him but for his career this is a good move. I like how their sporting director singled out Pep and Txiki and thanked them, that's how you conduct business.

People need to remember where we now sit in European football now, we are one of the top 5 teams in Europe and anyone trying to get into our squad needs to be from the top draw. Why is it when we are looking for players to supplement our squad we are looking at players in the region of £50 million+, because that is what it cost to bring in players of the standard to improve us. You don't have £50 million players sat in the academy waiting to be selected by Pep. Sure if we were a bottom 6 team with limited options then the kids are more likey to get a chance but this not the case. As long as we have two or three players from the academy at any one time pushing for a place in the squad then I am happy. Think back 2 or 3 years and everyone was raving about Barker, Denayer and Kelechi and giving them a place in the squad. Would you have any of them back at the moment based on what they have done since being moved on?
Anyone who thinks that in 5 years time we will have 6 first team starters from our academy needs to give their heads a good hard wobble.

And yet Real Madrid currently have 8 players from their academy in their squad. But the best we can possibly hope for is 2 or 3.

And yet Real Madrid currently have 8 players from their academy in their squad. But the best we can possibly hope for is 2 or 3.
Real Madrid's Champion's League run has masked gaping holes in their squad. Ronaldo will hit 34 next season, Benzema will be 31 and scored 5 league goals in 31 league games this season. Modric is 32 as well. They've had a very poor league run this year with a lot of injuries and 'star' players playing like shit so it's no wonder they've promoted some young players.

I would not swap our current squad for their current squad in a million years.

Real are hoovering talent all across Spain, City have more competition in this respect.

Besides, Spanish teams have B-teams playing in proper leagues, it surely helps to develop youngsters. Serie A are implementing the same system starting from the next season. The gap between youth and senior football is not City's problem, it's a problem of English football and FA in general. Pep have already brought up this issue in his interviews.

Last edited:
Don't mind these deals with buy-backs. £9m for a fullback with 1 year left on his contract is fine; he wouldn't be usurping Walker/Danilo next season anyway. This way we get a reasonable fee & if he progresses to our level we fork out & get him back.

Good luck to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.