Pablo Maffeo

It's hard to balance the needs of the player with the needs of the club. Would have been great for him to be part of the squad next season but coming in and playing bits and pieces for us isn't a great step forward for him and his development.

Will be pleased if we have a buyback clause. We really can't lose out then. He does well for Stuttgart, we have a decision to make.

Out of the names mentioned, only Rony has turned into anything and that was after Monaco loaned him for a further 2 years at Lille before he got his chance at Monaco. Oh and that was after Bernardo made way and big money buys didn’t pan out too well(Jovetic included) as Rony was close to being sold last summer.

Sancho needed a host of injuries to finally get time at BVB and their transfer rumors are Gelson Martins from Sporting Club and a couple of others that would cost a fortune in his position. You can’t escape competition.

In regards to Maffeo a few amplify the 2 stand out performances against Madrid and Barca vs the other 30+ games where it’s clear he has so much more to learn on both sides of the ball. Now he’s at Stuttgart where he will be completely out of his comfort zone, tested at a high level and has a possibility of playing in Europa league if Bayern win the German Cup. It’s sink or swim time and if develops into what people already have him down as, we’ll see him in the future. By all accounts this transfer went over smooth and their should be no hard feelings.
Win win for pretty much everybody. I agree.

Did you even read what I have written? Do you really think that promoting Maffeo would have scuttled our chances next season? I'm not asking the club to promote kids that are not physically ready in their development, like Foden and Diaz. This is a choice between Danilo and Maffeo, and I'd choose the latter.
Then thank Christ you’re not the manager. Danilo is off to the World Cup with Brazil and is far superior to Maffeo. Good luck Pablo.

I've already addressed this. Foden, Diaz and Nmecha have not broken into the senior squad. They are not playing regularly. You can make that claim when they begin to start the odd game and get more than a couple of minutes at the end of games that have already been won.

17 yr olds rarely play regularly for top class, record breaking teams.

You're right, not many, if any young lads are going to be at the required standard straight away but that's the level this team is at now, and thats the level you need to be if you want to play for this football club.

We want to be, and remain the very best team around, that doesn't happen by weakening your squad to accommodate players that might one day be good enough. This is why our approach to loaning out players and selling them on with a buyback option is perfect for us, it takes away all the risk involved in playing youngsters with potential that may or may not ever be realised and for a small fee let's somebody else do the risky development phase enabling them to come back as the finished product. It's only because this method is still in its infancy and we're yet to see the full cycle happen that the inpatient amongst us take issue with this kind of deal. Lets remember he will be playing for Stuttgart next season not Bayern Munich and theres a reason for that. Would love to see him do well and come back but if not it only proves the correct decision was made in selling him.
I agree, it is a good and sensible option and can see why we do it. Its just a little bit of Head vs heart.

My heart will miss the bursting pride of and excitement when a lad from the academy struts on to the pitch, knowing he has developed all under our tutelage, no matter his talent. But i suppose this is still happening with the likes of Foden and Diaz, and will just be a little more infrequent, the amount that come through, but suppose this was going to be the case anyway, once our standards rose.

Maffeo’s lack of opportunities at City were partly down to a combination of poor planning and bad luck. Letting our previous four fullbacks agentogether into their 30s meant we had to buy 2 top quality new right backs before the season started. Also, if Dani Alves had come instead of Danilo, Pablo might have seen an opportunity to get more games in time.

I think the move to Germany is the right one for Pablo and our Club. I hope he continu s to progress and we buy him back in a couple of years time.

I guess the only time when a youth player on loan would have a real chance to come back to City and play regularly if after his loan spell other teams fighting to sign him would be from the Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, PSG level of clubs.

Price is a bit low imo no question Chelsea would have got somehow close to 20m for same player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.