Do You Vote?

Anyone who doesn't vote might as well march down to Tynecot cemetery or Flanders Fields and dig up our dead war heroes and take a shit on them as far as I'm concerned.
I never understand this ''they died for your freedom so you should use your vote or it's an insult to them''. If they died for our freedom, then that freedom allows us the right to vote or not - especially if many of us feel there is no one of outstanding quality to vote for.
Equally, no one went to the trenches so that MP's could rent out their 2nd home, claim expenses on their shopping, their travel and their trips abroad and every other way of ripping off the tax payer that they can think of (as long as it is ''within the rules'' of course) and feasting at the trough.
I will not vote out of a sense of duty (when I am able to) when the names of the candidates in front of me are not worthy of my vote.

I never understand this ''they died for your freedom so you should use your vote or it's an insult to them''. If they died for our freedom, then that freedom allows us the right to vote or not - especially if many of us feel there is no one of outstanding quality to vote for.
Equally, no one went to the trenches so that MP's could rent out their 2nd home, claim expenses on their shopping, their travel and their trips abroad and every other way of ripping off the tax payer that they can think of (as long as it is ''within the rules'' of course) and feasting at the trough.
I will not vote out of a sense of duty (when I am able to) when the names of the candidates in front of me are not worthy of my vote.

I get what you are saying about the freedom not to vote. I also get what you say about candidates who are less than inspiring. I always like to see people standing who can string a sentence together and have a belief in what they say, this is never a guarantee though, as we all know.

The problem with not voting is who isn’t voting. I always feel that the Tories always turn out. That in areas where there are economic problems people feel disconnected, for good reason and turnout is always lower.

This apathy I feel is playing into the hands of the Tories. It doesn’t help with the bbc et al demonising any left wing alternative. The collapse of labour nationally, has left many here in Scotland with the view that the only chance of a Labour govt is a red Tory one.

The result of this has seen most ex labour voters moving to the snp and turnout is generally high in the GE.
I think voting is vital, primarily because we know our opponents will turn out. Apathy within the Tory vote is not as much of an issue. Their share of the vote holds, regardless how badly they are performing.

The answer is to energise people that things can get better. The SNP, regardless of what you see on the BBC, is better than all of the Labour gives up here. We don’t trust labour anymore up here, they are an inept shambles.

The Tories won 13 seats last time. This was entirely due to the people who normally vote labour switching to the unionist party they see as being best placed to stop Independence. For many up here, having the Queen is more important than having a good education system. Which of course is their right.

Low turnout and not voting that disproportionately affects left wing parties means carry on Mayday. I believe England has been lost by Labour.

Add into that the absolute collapse of Scottish Labour and the future looks Tory forever.

The candidates might not always be to our liking, but, not voting practically ensures Tory rule. That’s a future the vast majority up here find appalling. The demonising of Corbyn and the fact it is working makes for sad viewing.

The recent local elections should have seen a large swing to Labour. It didn’t, turnout was low, people seem not to give a shit and the bandwagon rolls on. It is for that reason many former labour voters have unhitched from that wagon up here.

The support of the welfare cuts by Balls and their standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tories in a shameful project fear in the Indy Ref means they have committed political suicide up here.

I would argue that we should always vote. Our political opponents do. Ousting them requires voting. Or it’s Groundhog Day, without the laughs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.