Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the biggest conspiracist, but what you're saying is totally different. Yes Beckham was slaughtered, but his petulance arguably cost his country dear. Sterling is regularly slaughtered for not being better than everyone else. That's a little different. England Monday first half was as impressive as England have been in years. 15 minutes where everyone was flat, you guessed it, Sterling's fault. Not a shit Alli, a wasteful Lingard, static Kane of painfully one footed Young. All Sterling and a mass media clamour for Rashford.

I agree, many fans think they're hard done to, I get it. Liverpool, United may get some negative press, normally when deserved. But just ask any United fan to compare Rashford's media perception to that of Sterling. Show a Liverpool fan that weird tweet from the Mirror about Salah's bravery. Show them that Sunday Suppliment where they call City morally bankrupt and slaughter the signings of Toure and David Silva.

I agree, all clubs get some rough some smooth. We seem to get a lot more rough than smooth.
Just look at England, the media are desperate to get Rashford in the side, he's had a utter shite season and has regressed massively. His own manager doesn't trust him and the more knowledgable fans are beginning to notice he's basically Darren Huckerby.
Yet Sterling whom has convinced some of the biggest doubters, is loved by the best manager in the game, has won us countless points and been integral to the best PL side ever and the medis are desperate to see him dropped.

Now be honest with yourself, if Liverpool or United had a young forward who'd pissed the league as a key player, had a hand in over 40 goals and had won loads of points with his determination. Do you think after 55 minutes of the first game the media would be all over him?

Rooney never scored a World Cup goal did he? He was lauded till then very end.

Spot on. Had to look twice to see if I was still on BlueMoon.

Probably already been posted, but the Liverpool Echo is holding out an Olive branch to Sterling.

Even they think it's gone too far.

But will Liverpool fans? Probably not.

Raheem Sterling, Liverpool and why it's time to move on over his departure
Sterling isn't the most popular former Liverpool star -but perhaps it's time for Reds fans to forget, if they can't forgive

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...s/raheem-sterling-liverpool-its-time-14816826
absolutely they do not, they hate him with a passion and that isnt going to change any day soon, its pathetic how they hammer him on the back pages of the echo.. hypocritical and disgusting they are over him

Probably already been posted, but the Liverpool Echo is holding out an Olive branch to Sterling.

Even they think it's gone too far.

But will Liverpool fans? Probably not.

Raheem Sterling, Liverpool and why it's time to move on over his departure
Sterling isn't the most popular former Liverpool star -but perhaps it's time for Reds fans to forget, if they can't forgive

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...s/raheem-sterling-liverpool-its-time-14816826

A decent article to be fair but I think they have been shamed into it

It’ll go on forever, this. I’m not as arsed as I was the last time was posting as it’s obvious we have a section of fans of a Liverpool ilk, who are offended by everything.
I’ve heard enough from rival supporters to smile when they claim bias for us and against them, as it just confirms we are now treated like their club, the top clubs. I’d rather that than be signing Gerry Creaney and our club is loved by everyone out of sympathy. We are the elite, if not THEE elite. It comes at a cost. A cost worth paying and that is the last I’ll post on this thread. This season has shown how we are favoured, accepted and now taken over all the the other elite clubs. If you listen closely you’ll hear it too.
Enjoy.
I'm reluctant to join the queue of posters jumping down your throat because you dare to disagree but I would like to make one point, if I may....

I think it might have been our second home game of the season when an opposing forward launched himself into the air, caught our goalkeeper in the face and rendered him in urgent need of medical attention.

To be fair to the attacker, I don't believe anybody thought there was any malice in his actions. The ball was in play, he felt he had to go for it and, when he didn't get it, everybody else felt he had to go. That should have been the end of it. Except, as you know, it wasn't.
The two clowns in the Sky TV commentary box set forth a theory that a great injustice had been perpetrated, not on the goalkeeper who needed eight stitches, a stretcher and an oxygen mask but on the forward who had (most probably not maliciously, as I say but) inarguably led with his foot several feet off of the ground without any care or consideration for the well-being of his opponent.

They proceeded to spend the remainder of the game ignoring some scintillating football from our team and, instead, urging the viewer to believe that every City transgression was worthy of review with an eye to issuing a post-dated red card. All interviews after the game concentrated upon the sending-off with a clear inference that a great injustice had cost the visitors dearly.

The printed media, seeing the value of playing up to this narrative, in many cases seized upon it, in others, at the very least, validated it - despite the clear and obvious fact that it was utter, utter bollocks.

So, why am I rehashing this, you might be wondering?

This chain of events was not, even in the wildest of imaginations, a manifestation of some greater, clandestine conspiracy. It stemmed from two individuals in the commentary box - neither of whom have ever liked City, I suspect - putting their tainted view of an action, front and centre and other outlets realising some commercial value in acknowledging it rather than simply dismissing for the petty, deluded bollocks it rather was.

The trouble is, the story doesn't just end there. It continued to have ramifications throughout the season. Time after time, opposition players left nasty, vicious tackles in on City players, throughout the remainder of the season. Largely, they did so with impugnity.

Undoubtedly, many other clubs' fans will point to seriously violent challenges upon their players that went without due punishment. That's part of football.

I doubt though that they could point to Match of the Day pundits urging opposition players to assault theirs - and I doubt too that they could realistically argue, as we City fans can, that, having witnessed the shitstorm arising from such a blatant red card in September, referees were intimidated with regard to sending off any further players for foul play against us. So much so, in fact, with the exception of the final minute of extra time v "plucky Cardiff" (the BBC's description, not mine), after 90 minutes of employing tactics that more resembled British Bulldog than Association Football, I cannot recall any other opposition player being sent off against City for the rest of the season, despite some entirely vicious assaults masquerading as tackles in about ten occasions.

So, yeah, I get it. You work with United fans and they tell you every day that Fernandinho leads a charmed existence and you somewhat believe it - or, if not, you at least, think that the argument somehow negates any claims of bias made by City fans.

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion - and yes, some of the tin foil helmet stuff floating about can be embarrassing.

You're wrong though. City have undoubtedly been the victims of a loosely orchestrated campaign of bias. The tale set out above is just one example. There have been others - some of it quite blatant - from Sky displaying doctored statistics to BT accidentally forgetting to include City in its Champions League promotions to the BBC saluting "Bertie" and so on...

Again, I don't think it's a particularly well thought out campaign. Hating on City is more a flag of convenience for hacks wishing to appeal to both of the big red tribal bases.

It undoubtedly exists though and - in one manifestation of it at least - our players are being put at very real physical risk because of it.

Supporters have every right to call it out when they see it. They don't deserve to be ridiculed or spoken down to for expressing an opinion about it. They might get carried away in their interpretation of its origins but let's not pretend it's a figment of the imagination. It's very real.

I'm reluctant to join the queue of posters jumping down your throat because you dare to disagree but I would like to make one point, if I may....

I think it might have been our second home game of the season when an opposing forward launched himself into the air, caught our goalkeeper in the face and rendered him in urgent need of medical attention.

To be fair to the attacker, I don't believe anybody thought there was any malice in his actions. The ball was in play, he felt he had to go for it and, when he didn't get it, everybody else felt he had to go. That should have been the end of it. Except, as you know, it wasn't.
The two clowns in the Sky TV commentary box set forth a theory that a great injustice had been perpetrated, not on the goalkeeper who needed eight stitches, a stretcher and an oxygen mask but on the forward who had (most probably not maliciously, as I say but) inarguably led with his foot several feet off of the ground without any care or consideration for the well-being of his opponent.

They proceeded to spend the remainder of the game ignoring some scintillating football from our team and, instead, urging the viewer to believe that every City transgression was worthy of review with an eye to issuing a post-dated red card. All interviews after the game concentrated upon the sending-off with a clear inference that a great injustice had cost the visitors dearly.

The printed media, seeing the value of playing up to this narrative, in many cases seized upon it, in others, at the very least, validated it - despite the clear and obvious fact that it was utter, utter bollocks.

This chain of events was not, even in the wildest of imaginations, a manifestation of some greater, clandestine conspiracy. It stemmed from two individuals in the commentary box - neither of whom have ever liked City, I suspect - putting their tainted view of an action, front and centre and other outlets realising some commercial value in acknowledging it rather than simply dismissing for the petty, deluded bollocks it rather was.

The trouble is, the story doesn't just end there. It continued to have ramifications throughout the season. Time after time, opposition players left nasty, vicious tackles in on City players, throughout the remainder of the season. Largely, they did so with impugnity.

Undoubtedly, many other clubs' fans will point to seriously violent challenges upon their players that went without due punishment. That's part of football.

I doubt though that they could point to Match of the Day pundits urging opposition players to assault theirs - and I doubt too that they could realistically argue, as we City fans can, that, having witnessed the shitstorm arising from such a blatant red card in September, referees were intimidated with regard to sending off any further players for foul play against us. So much so, in fact, with the exception of the final minute of extra time v "plucky Cardiff" (the BBC's description, not mine), after 90 minutes of employing tactics that more resembled British Bulldog than Association Football, I cannot recall any other opposition player being sent off against City for the rest of the season, despite some entirely vicious assaults masquerading as tackles in about ten occasions.

So, yeah, I get it. You work with United fans and they tell you every day that Fernandinho leads a charmed existence and you somewhat believe it - or, if not, you at least, think that the argument somehow negates any claims of bias made by City fans.

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion - and yes, some of the tin foil helmet stuff floating about can be embarrassing.

You're wrong though. City have undoubtedly been the victims of a loosely orchestrated campaign of bias. The tale set out above is just one example. There have been others - some of it quite blatant - from Sky displaying doctored statistics to BT accidentally forgetting to include City in its Champions League promotions to the BBC saluting "Bertie" and so on...

Again, I don't think it's a particularly well thought out campaign. Hating on City is more a flag of convenience for hacks wishing to appeal to both of the big red tribal bases.

It undoubtedly exists though and - in one manifestation of it at least - our players are being put at very real physical risk because of it.

Supporters have every right to call it out when they see it. They don't deserve to be ridiculed or spoken down to for expressing an opinion about it. They might get carried away in their interpretation of its origins but let's not pretend it's a figment of the imagination. It's very real.

You've nailed it.

One of the bests posts I've read.

Last edited:

Excellent post, makes the key points, well thought through and written.. great stuff!

Hear, fucking hear.

that post deserves a pint !

That is one hell of a good post, well done.
On the subject of media bias I seem to remember it being metioned on this forum that in a weekend Sky programme Martin Samuel admitted there was a bias within the media against us. If so how come people are still denying it's existance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.