City to expand Etihad to 62,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not been following this thread for a while , so forgive if it has already been mentioned.
Liverpool built the extension to there new stand at the back of their existing stand and then joined the new part to the existing stand -
an increase of 9,000.

Not been following this thread for a while , so forgive if it has already been mentioned.
Liverpool built the extension to there new stand at the back of their existing stand and then joined the new part to the existing stand -
an increase of 9,000.

Yeah, that's exactly what Manchester City just did with their South Stand.

You may have heard of them.

This is all well and good but getting too and from the stadium is a nightmare.

I've seen others talk about the roof cable net but don't really know what that means.
The current roof hangs on a cable that is supported from outside the stadium on the supports, the original cable for the south stand roof is still there, even though the new roof is supported on higher supports that were built specially for the job. If they took the old cable away the rest of the roof (east, west, and north stand) would fall down, so the cable had to stay. Many also say the "old" roof is in a bad way, and will need replacing anyway, which could see some other changes.

Personally I don't see the clamour for a single tier north stand, I don't see it as some great panacea to the atmosphere anyway, I can't see many of the SS3 moving there, nor those that like the 'banter' with the away fans, I certainly won't be moving again. I also don't see them moving the family stand easily either, it caused a big enough fuss when it was decided to create it in the first place, and where would you put it ? Next to the away fans ?

Also I can't see the club being willing to lose up to 10k off the attendances for 2 years to build it either (even if we are always empty), then there's the cost of a complete redesign of the roof structure.

The current roof hangs on a cable that is supported from outside the stadium on the supports, the original cable for the south stand roof is still there, even though the new roof is supported on higher supports that were built specially for the job. If they took the old cable away the rest of the roof (east, west, and north stand) would fall down, so the cable had to stay. Many also say the "old" roof is in a bad way, and will need replacing anyway, which could see some other changes.

Personally I don't see the clamour for a single tier north stand, I don't see it as some great panacea to the atmosphere anyway, I can't see many of the SS3 moving there, nor those that like the 'banter' with the away fans, I certainly won't be moving again. I also don't see them moving the family stand easily either, it caused a big enough fuss when it was decided to create it in the first place, and where would you put it ? Next to the away fans ?

Also I can't see the club being willing to lose up to 10k off the attendances for 2 years to build it either (even if we are always empty), then there's the cost of a complete redesign of the roof structure.
It makes me happy we now earn enough from being set up properly that if we did get a bill for some upgrades we could afford it. Just 12 years ago or so would have seen us fucked having to fork out 20m or whatever it will cost.

Good points Cleavers. I think the Single Tier Stand would be good if doable and affordable but it isn’t a panacea to improving the atmosphere.

Some of the Blues who would populate the new Stand are likely to come from fans priced out of East Stand and Colin Bell Level 2 (North side of halfway line) as those blocks become Premium Seats to offset the loss of Executive Box revenue from a Single tier North Stand. These fans are loyal Blues but they are not known for their vocal support.

I think you might also get some Blues buying tickets for the new Stand who are on the SC waiting list but need 2, 3 or 4 seats together. There are families who can’t get the tickets they want because of the hoarding of Season Cards in the existing Family Stand (with seats often left empty). Maybe the Club could prioritise Tickets in a new single tiered North Stand for fans who are more likely to be vocal but I am not sure where the thousands of singers would come from?

I would like us to have a more atmospheric ground and I sing a lot during the games. I just want to see whatever changes we make to the ground work.

Is it possible to change the seats in the SS to safe standing? If so I imagine it could be done over a summer break which would increase capacity there by around a third. They could then expand the 2nd tier in the NS back leaving the majority of the families in NS tier 1 until the expansion was finished?

Is it possible to change the seats in the SS to safe standing? If so I imagine it could be done over a summer break which would increase capacity there by around a third. They could then expand the 2nd tier in the NS back leaving the majority of the families in NS tier 1 until the expansion was finished?

You would need to redesign the Stand to get more people in through Safe Standing, e.g. due to the spacing between rows etc. Celtic replaced one seat for one rail seat / safe standing spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.