World Cup 2018 | 1st July | R16: Spain vs Russia, KO 15:00 (BST)

Since when have keepers been allowed to charge the penalty taker!
I thought they couldn't leave the line before the ball is kicked.

Warned by the refs before every kick then blatantly ignored.
Not really the same as encroachment which goes on all the time but very rarely affects the outcome.

Only the same as the stupid stuttering run ups that have apparently become legal.

It was more the fact he left 2 holding midfielders on in Koke and Busquets, no need for either of them in all honesty as Russia weren't interested in attacking unless on the break, also baffling was taking Costa off then finally crossing balls into the box.
Yes it was almost as if he wanted to go out.

I wonder if there will now be a big backlash against real madrid in Spain, after what happened in the run up to the WC ? I can't see their media holding back.

They've been legal for donkey's years. Aldridge was doing them 30 years ago.
I think the actual rule is you are not allowed to stop, so you can run then slow, or drag your feet etc.

Keepers weren't allowed to move until recently, but they all did, so they changed it to, you can move, but need to stay on your line until the kick is taken, but most gamble, and have dived out of the way before its kicked, making it easier for the taker in most cases.

I think the actual rule is you are not allowed to stop, so you can run then slow, or drag your feet etc.

Keepers weren't allowed to move until recently, but they all did, so they changed it to, you can move, but need to stay on your line until the kick is taken, but most gamble, and have dived out of the way before its kicked, making it easier for the taker in most cases.
That's my understanding of it as well. You can do a big step in the middle of your run or, as you say, drag your foot. But you cannot actually come to a stop, however briefly.

La Roja were terrible; Tiki-Taka at its worst. No ideas whatsoever going forward (save brief exceptional moments), simply keeping possession, slowly moving the ball back and forth against a resolute defense, simply waiting to lose the ball and then defend a counter.

This sort of football is the antithesis of Pep's system.

1) Possession without scoring intent is worthless;
2) Once the ball turns over, an immediate press should ensue to recapture possession.

Spain failed on both points 1 and 2.

Moreover, Spain v. Russia was one of the worst matches I've had to endure, 90 crap minutes followed by 30 minutes of the same fare in overtime.

Thank God Spain lost in penalties.
=====
England's side of the bracket just keeps getting better and better. There's an even easier path now to the finals for England - hopefully they can capitalize on their luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.