Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

That is all true. And there are few alternatives. But the Sterling I saw for England was not the Sterling who scored 18 times and had 11 assists in 33 league games. Yes Rashford and Lingard were no better, but you have to accept that Sterling was not at his best....probably because of the hostility that he faces.

It was very noticeable that half way through the competition the media seemed to start a Sterling offensive talking him up instead of down. perhaps the England staff had a word, or perhaps they realised the nation would not accept such criticism

But Rashford is the exact same player we see at United. The one who is a squad player, the one who Jose clearly doesn’t trust, the one who can beat a man but has little end product aside from the odd wonder strike.

The campaign against Sterling included praising Rashford, in an attempt to oust Raz from the side, so much that he was made out to be a Messi/Maradona hybrid.

I actually felt sorry for Rashford yesterday because people were expecting far too much from him. Nothing he has produced so far suggests that he’d be in with a chance of the Golden Boot if he’d have started every game like Hoddle claimed. But people lap it up. They see a good 10 minute cameo against Costa Rica and ignore the other 80 minutes of average play.

The penny actually dropped, for some in the pub, after Sterling went off that we are a poorer side without him. The same happened against Colombia as well.

I said at the time that the decision would kill us and we’ll revert to long ball and invite more pressure. A few people agreed but most disagreed and slagged Sterling. Needless to say by the 90th min those people were then slagging Rashford and calling the side shit.

105 league goals in 4 years suggests he’s pretty close to being world class
That's like saying Joe Hart's golden glove awards means he is world class. Kane is similar to Lukaku in that he will score goals against the shit teams and occasionally against the better teams. He won't as things stand be the player to score goals on a regular basis in big European games against the better teams. He isn't that quick, isn't that good in the air for someone so tall and is a greedy sod. All he is interested in is himself - remember him trying to claim a goal because he thought he would be premier top goal scorer? As poor as I think Mandzukic is he would be in my team before Kane.

But Rashford is the exact same player we see at United. The one who is a squad player, the one who Jose clearly doesn’t trust, the one who can beat a man but has little end product aside from the odd wonder strike.

The campaign against Sterling included praising Rashford, in an attempt to oust Raz from the side, so much that he was made out to be a Messi/Maradona hybrid.

I actually felt sorry for Rashford yesterday because people were expecting far too much from him. Nothing he has produced so far suggests that he’d be in with a chance of the Golden Boot if he’d have started every game like Hoddle claimed. But people lap it up. They see a good 10 minute cameo against Costa Rica and ignore the other 80 minutes of average play.

The penny actually dropped, for some in the pub, after Sterling went off that we are a poorer side without him. The same happened against Colombia as well.

I said at the time that the decision would kill us and we’ll revert to long ball and invite more pressure. A few people agreed but most disagreed and slagged Sterling. Needless to say by the 90th min those people were then slagging Rashford and calling the side shit.

What’s worrying was Southgate after watching Rashford in games and training he thought taking Sterling of for Rashford was the right decision! Rashford and sterling on the pitch would of made Moreno of deference and take Lingard or Ali of instead.

Given the Daily Cannon plenty of stick in the past, but this is a great article.

Redknapp and the Daily 'let's target Sterling again' Fail are at it again.

http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/daily-mail-rate-harry-kane-higher-than-raheem-sterling-again/

To be fair to Redknapp, I’d be surprised if those ratings are actually his. The Mail is a cnut’s paper and every story in it is manipulated with its target audience of foaming Brexiteers and reactionary bigots in mind. Their pre World Cup full page spread about “tattooless Harry, a hero the nation can be proud of” (ie white, born here, married to childhood sweetheart, lives in the biggest Tory stronghold in Britain, etc etc), is a pretty good indicator that even if he scored 4 own goals in one game and smoked a spliff at half time, they’d still give him a higher mark than Sterling, who represents everything the paper and its readers hate

36856080_10216911645732882_1999401568000016384_n.jpg

The booing from other fans will be worse next season

I agree with most of that but I still think Sterling is very young and has suffered in this side for all manner of reasons.

I think Rashford has got something although his game has stalled at Utd. Vardy is top quality and I felt sorry for him because I think this is the for him at a big tournament although it does look like he was injured.

I hope Guardiola and City can develop Sterling's game. He needs to work on his finising. He scored 18 goals last season but he could easily have scored 25. if he improves his finishing he will become a world class player who will be almost unplayable. His confidence will improve too. I hope that there wont be a hangover from the World Cup for him because City will be under pressure to produce results immediately and I suspect that Mahrez and Sane are going to start on the wings with Jesus or Aguero up front.

Seen several comments from people on social media saying that "Rashford looked dangerous when he came on". I've asked each to be a bit more specific as how he looked dangerous, what he did that was dangerous and whether they meant dangerous to the opposition or to his own team mates. It's been some hours now and, as of yet, no ones got back to me .... maybe they're still compiling their list!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.