Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

He wasn't amazing this tournament but he caused defences way more problems than any of our other attacking players. Seems like, just as with the Euros, the poor contributions of Alli and Kane will be erased from history. Maybe Kane was a little bit deprived of service but the one big chance he did have he fluffed. Sterling was nowhere near our worst performer at this tournament. Part of me wants him to sack it all off and let the actual poor performers get the scrutiny they deserve.

The nation's obsession with Rashford over Sterling needs to stop. Rashford didn't show anything when given an opportunity to suggest he's a better option than Sterling right now. Mourinho clearly isn't convinced either.

Taking Sterling off was a weird decision to me as Lingard just doesn't have the stamina to last extra time. That much was obvious in the Colombia game.

Hope our own fans can get behind him this season. He's a 23 year old kid who we see jeered and bullied by other fans week in week out for literally no reason and it's been going on for years. Its pretty shocking when you think about it. It's unbelievable when our own fans question his mental toughness when you think about the shit he gets non stop. He's one of the mentally toughest players we have and made a massive contribution last season.
That is all true. And there are few alternatives. But the Sterling I saw for England was not the Sterling who scored 18 times and had 11 assists in 33 league games. Yes Rashford and Lingard were no better, but you have to accept that Sterling was not at his best....probably because of the hostility that he faces.

It was very noticeable that half way through the competition the media seemed to start a Sterling offensive talking him up instead of down. perhaps the England staff had a word, or perhaps they realised the nation would not accept such criticism

That is all true. And there are few alternatives. But the Sterling I saw for England was not the Sterling who scored 18 times and had 11 assists in 33 league games. Yes Rashford and Lingard were no better, but you have to accept that Sterling was not at his best....probably because of the hostility that he faces

I agree he wasn't able to replicate his form for us, although it's hard to tell how much of that is to do with the limitations of the rest of the team. That said, my main issue is that regardless of whether or not England gets the best out of him, he is unfairly singled out for criticism while other players seemingly get a free pass. On the up side, I think some sections of the press has realised the bullying has gone too far now and there's been a fair few articles speaking out in his defence these past few days. I get the feeling it's too little too late to change the minds of some fans though.

That is all true. And there are few alternatives. But the Sterling I saw for England was not the Sterling who scored 18 times and had 11 assists in 33 league games. Yes Rashford and Lingard were no better, but you have to accept that Sterling was not at his best....probably because of the hostility that he faces.

It was very noticeable that half way through the competition the media seemed to start a Sterling offensive talking him up instead of down. perhaps the England staff had a word, or perhaps they realised the nation would not accept such criticism
It’s because even United and Liverpool fans were directing things at people’s negative rubbish like “what are you on about? he played well, just didn’t take his chance”

I think those last few stories before the World Cup started (the breakfast story especially) made even Rags and Scousers think “hang on a minute, this is just bollocks, get off his back”

Anyone still banging the old drum now is just a bitter idiot who should just be ignored

Nothing to do with hostility but more the lack of service he thrives on from Leroy, David and Kev, he's head must drop the minute Henderson gets the ball as he knows he's got to sprint 50 yards and he may as well sit down once Alli gets it as he only looks for Kane.

I agree he wasn't able to replicate his form for us, although it's hard to tell how much of that is to do with the limitations of the rest of the team. That said, my main issue is that regardless of whether or not England gets the best out of him, he is unfairly singled out for criticism while other players seemingly get a free pass. On the up side, I think some sections of the press has realised the bullying has gone too far now and there's been a fair few articles speaking out in his defence these past few days. I get the feeling it's too little too late to change the minds of some fans though.
I think the media expected England to crash out, but when there was a chance to progress they got behind the team.... a bit late.

Guardiola and City have to build him back up again to the levels he was at at the start of last season. He was inconsistent as a forward for City I felt. Sometimes brilliant sometimes very hit and miss, and I think he is a player who can go up another level which will be amazing for us if he does.

I really hope he renews his contract at City and knuckles down and does it. I feel he may take the easy option and leave England but I doubt he'll ever get a better platform than he has now. City though can not afford to nurse him back to form. he has to hit the ground running. it will be a lot easier in a City side that play to his strengths and who have fans who support him and will forgive mistakes.

It’s because even United and Liverpool fans were directing things at people’s negative rubbish like “what are you on about? he played well, just didn’t take his chance”

I think those last few stories before the World Cup started (the breakfast story especially) made even Rags and Scousers think “hang on a minute, this is just bollocks, get off his back”

Anyone still banging the old drum now is just a bitter idiot who should just be ignored
Depends whether they do it fairly or not. He's not the finished article. There are plenty of players, even Kane, who are not what they are made out to be.

mentality is huge in football. You introduce doubt into a players head you instantly undermine them. The media of course will not batter Kane for that double miss. he is the great white hope. if it was Sterling, certain organisations would have gone for him because it suits their agenda.

Where my opinion differs to some on here I think is that I do think this criticism, and the way he was asked to play, affected him game, whereas some City fans thought it was business as usual and he was great. he had his best game last night. A game that was most similar to the game he plays for City. I was surprised he was subbed off.

He didn't get worst player voted on BBC. In fact there are 6 below him. Close the thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.