Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread

Anyone seen the famous Anfield atmosphere
Went missing yesterday

The Anfield atmosphere is one of the biggest myths in football. Don't get me wrong, those flags and banners on the Kop look decent enough and when things are looking rosy on the pitch they can get it going alright but so can pretty much any other set of fans in the league. I often complain that our fans are too quiet if things aren't going too well for us on the pitch but I honestly think Liverpool fans are worse. As soon as there was a drop off in their intensity yesterday, the crowd suddenly went quiet. I wouldn't mind but it wasn't like they were getting battered - it was 0-0 and we were beginning to suss them out a bit. That's all it needed to silence the fuckers. We pretty much smashed their support out of the park all afternoon. One of my favourite moments was when "Where's your famous atmosphere?" got an airing on about 28 minutes and there was fuck-all response from their lot. Even funnier while we were singing that was looking over at their main stand and seeing one lone fan remonstrating with the Kop to get it going instead of just trying to get it going himself, plus loads of them in that main stand were weirdly making their way out of their seats. This wasn't just one or two fans going for a piss - it was literally a stream of them - and they certainly weren't getting in the queue for a half-time pint because this was before the half-hour mark. Fucking bizarre behaviour.

Like I say, they can certainly be loud at times but I swear that hearing the whole of the Hawthorns sing "The Lord Is My Shepherd" (as West Brom fans were some years back when they were beating us 2-0) makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck far more than anything I've ever witnessed from Liverpool fans.

I would love to see the defensive solidity we saw yesterday become a recurring plan.

We're never going to be a defensive side, but we weren't yesterday either, we just kept things a bit more simple when playing out - looked to Ederson more- had everyone focus on defending when Liverpool were blitzing us, and then transitioned a bit slower so we didn't get caught out if they won the ball back.

If we're going to win the CL, that performance needs to be the blueprint we start from. Add in KDB, Mahrez getting better, Mendy being match sharp and and we win that 2- or 3-0 and it's a masterclass.

When we have been turned over by Liverpool, it has been 100% due to shite defending, as a team but particularly the back 4. That has been made worse by the creative players wasting the ball, thus piling more pressure on a panicky defence.

The ludicrous solution in Fantasy Football land, has been to replace Fernandinho with another flicky player on the nonsensical assumption that cutting out his 2 mistakes per game would somehow cure the other 20.

The correct way, as Pep has now shown, is to defend properly & make Liverpool work for anything they get.

Our attack was shite yesterday, until late on, exactly as it always is there. The difference is we were chasing a win at the end, not trying to rescue the results of a shit show.

Now we have a solid base to build on, Klopp has a great big fucking problem. As our attack won't stay shit.

Seems like pep won't start Mendy and Sane together, surely Pep can find a system to accommodate both of them.

Having slept on it, I’m pleased with the point.

Like we all are, I’m gutted about the penalty, but the overall performance was an improvement on what we’ve seen before. I’m confident we’ll beat them at the Etihad. If you take a minimum of 4 points off your competitors, you’re setting yourself up to win the league.

Penalties, in order. Get it sorted, Pep!!!

Sergio
KDB
Silva
Bernardo
Jesus

If none of them are playing, I doubt we would ever get close enough to goal to get a penalty!
Sergio has missed a good few spot kicks over the years and KDB is not perfect either. I seem to remember they both missed penalties in the same game a while back. Jesus has missed too. Silva and Bernardo are untested in this department really.
Sadly we have no YaYa or "Why always me" anymore

I hope that what Pep did yesterday will show a few other managers how to give them a hard time. Whereas what they did won't show anyone how to beat us, because we won't play like that against anyone else.

overall i was very pleased with the performance and the result. Would have been pleased with a point before the game.
Shame we missed the pen though, bloody gutted in fact, but that game should give us even more confidence for the rest of the season.

Stones and laporte were superb, almost rock solid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.