Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread

The Anfield atmosphere is one of the biggest myths in football. Don't get me wrong, those flags and banners on the Kop look decent enough and when things are looking rosy on the pitch they can get it going alright but so can pretty much any other set of fans in the league. I often complain that our fans are too quiet if things aren't going too well for us on the pitch but I honestly think Liverpool fans are worse. As soon as there was a drop off in their intensity yesterday, the crowd suddenly went quiet. I wouldn't mind but it wasn't like they were getting battered - it was 0-0 and we were beginning to suss them out a bit. That's all it needed to silence the fuckers. We pretty much smashed their support out of the park all afternoon. One of my favourite moments was when "Where's your famous atmosphere?" got an airing on about 28 minutes and there was fuck-all response from their lot. Even funnier while we were singing that was looking over at their main stand and seeing one lone fan remonstrating with the Kop to get it going instead of just trying to get it going himself, plus loads of them in that main stand were weirdly making their way out of their seats. This wasn't just one or two fans going for a piss - it was literally a stream of them - and they certainly weren't getting in the queue for a half-time pint because this was before the half-hour mark. Fucking bizarre behaviour.

Like I say, they can certainly be loud at times but I swear that hearing the whole of the Hawthorns sing "The Lord Is My Shepherd" (as West Brom fans were some years back when they were beating us 2-0) makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck far more than anything I've ever witnessed from Liverpool fans.

It is completely a myth, one constantly fed by the way that club is presented on television worldwide. You get the obligatory rendition of YNWA which gives the watching world goosebumps (so I'm told) and then that's it. If things aren't going their way, they're exactly the same as anyone else.
You know, mate, that there's a thread on RAWK called Let's Improve The Atmosphere at Anfield, which is currently at 253 pages. And a quick trawl round many other forums reveals the same kind of threads, and exactly the same kind of complaints as we see on here. No, sorry, but this is a problem of society: it has to do with the general bourgeoisification of footballand professional sports in general, the hygienisation (sorry for these ugly made-up words) of stadiums (which has not only brought negative factors, incidentally) and a visibly aging fanbase, because the whole of the west itself is aging.
I have to say that I think our atmosphere is very poor on European nights, but I can't say much about it, since I can never get over for midweek matches, because of work. Liverpool's does seem to be audibly better on that count, not sure about the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Rags, and whether they generally get more excited about European football than we do.

Hope that missed penalty does not end up costing us the league. They will beat nearly everyone at Anfield and are a real threat make no mistake.
Maybe. But we can beat nearly everyone at our gaff and win a lot of away games as well. The penalty miss was a pain but despite the early dipper assaults we were never really bothered at the back and as the game progressed our control of it increased. The more cautious approach deployed by Pep was welcome and if Kun was 100% fit I think we might of created more going forward. Make no mistake this is a big psychological setback for the dippers especially as it comes after two defeats and a late salvaged point. I am not sure they can break the 90 point barrier which I am very confident we will achieve.

Point is better for us. We have not played a top 6 team at home yet and we play more expansive football at home. Mendy was rusty but finally we saw some good defending this season and we are starting to gel. Just like last season we need to push on now. De Bruyne coming back will be a huge boost for us too. We have shown the type of resilience it takes to go far in the CL by defending properly. That setup will be required away from home in the CL because at home we have enough to beat teams. It will be rare we play so poorly in the attacking third too. Laporte and Stones were class and Walker finally had a good game defensively.

Now we need to kick on. De Bruyne will lift everyone and help the balance of the team. It also allows Bernardo and David Silva to be rotated. Mahrez will take time to gel but he will grow into the side and come January will be the player we all expect. Top of the league and unbeaten so far as well as being in a good position to qualify from our CL group and still in the league cup, exactly what we would have wanted. Considering no De Bruyne and some rusty form from Sane, Mendy (plus injuries), Walker, Jesus and Mahrez you cannot be disappointed with that. If we can keep taking 20points from 8 games we win the league and we have shown we can dig in and rise to the pressure away from home. 1pt more than we got last season at Anfield and two less for them.

Having slept on it, I’m pleased with the point.

Like we all are, I’m gutted about the penalty, but the overall performance was an improvement on what we’ve seen before. I’m confident we’ll beat them at the Etihad. If you take a minimum of 4 points off your competitors, you’re setting yourself up to win the league.

I wasn't as despondent as some about the missed penalty. Normally I'd be pretty gutted in that situation, but I was pleased with a much improved performance compared to so many other recent visits to Anfield. It wasn't a season-defining game of course, but we've laid down a significant marker and given Liverpool a lot to think about. That said, it's looking increasingly likely that this might be a 3 horse race for the title.

Seems like pep won't start Mendy and Sane together, surely Pep can find a system to accommodate both of them.

To be fair pep decided it was important to stop salah and as such putting zinchenko or Laporte would be hanging them out to dry so he put faith in mendy
Who I felt defensively did very well
The irony was Klopp set up with Gomez at full back to stop sane
This affected them more than us
Also when it gets to 60 mins at 0-0 with sane to come on it’s a perfect scenario
Only a Mahrez pen miss prevented execution of the perfect plan

I wasn't as despondent as some about the missed penalty. Normally I'd be pretty gutted in that situation, but I was pleased with a much improved performance compared to so many other recent visits to Anfield. It wasn't a season-defining game of course, but we've laid down a significant marker and given Liverpool a lot to think about. That said, it's looking increasingly likely that this might be a 3 horse race for the title.
Could even be a five horse race. Tottenham and Arsenal are only two points behind and Arsenal seem to be hitting decent form.

Could even be a five horse race. Tottenham and Arsenal are only two points behind and Arsenal seem to be hitting decent form.
I don’t see this
I think arsenal and spurs get up there until they have hard games then they bottle it and drop points.
Chelsea have a Tough run in so really need to get a lead
Dippers will be the main threat as they have played tough games and got through them
United in 6th
We really need to beat spurs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.