QF 1st Leg Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very disappointed with Pep.

I know he was playing for a 0-0 or a draw, and he's got close to what he must have expected with that line up but I don't understand why a coach who has KDB and Sane in his side would play like that against Spurs. They are a decent side but not world beaters.

Pep's built an outstanding side, but why play in a way that is totally alien to us?

Don't get it. Pep did a Mourinho when it mattered. I think all the criticism of not being pragmatic enough in Europe has got to him and he did something alien to him.

I think I will duck out.

Thanks for tolerating me for the last few days but I'm sensing a lot of anger here and I don't want to come across as a WUM.

As I said several times in the other thread I thought we would hold our own last night but lose the tie over two legs. Still seems like the obvious outcome.

Anyway, fingers crossed you beat the Dippers to the Premier League title.

Cheers.

Ridiculous over-reaction of negativity on this thread last night. I looked at a couple of pages and shut down my computer.
I'm not happy clapping, so don't bother. We could have been better, and I agree that Pep's selection was decidedly odd. I would now frankly always choose Sané and Sterling over Mahrez in games of this sort. And can't Danilo play on the left side at full back?
But broadly, we controlled the game. It is as Pep said. You've got to give some credit to that Son lad for simply refusing to allow the ball to die. He's had a fine season for them (I also agree that Kane being out is not necessarily an advantage for us, incidentally). Other than their actual goal, Eddie was very comfortable with everything he had to deal with. Also credit to Spurs for closing down the lines through the middle of the pitch and not letting us play our attacking game. It's never just “We played shit”. The other team doesn't allow you to play. They looked totally up for it, as you would expect. Second game in their new stadium, first European night.
There's all to play for. The Etihad must be rocking in a week's time, please (sorry, I can't be there. I have work on Wednesdays so I cannot, for the minute, ever fly over for midweek matches. Retirement only three months away, though, so…). Predicted score — 3-1.

Fair enough that, im not to arsed about the defeat, drove home not to bothered. End of day we have to score to go through. If that's a good spurs performance I really do fancy our chances at home for both games.

Palace on sunday is a more important game to win, I can see why the decisions where made. One nil defeat to spurs away is not a problem, one nil defeat at palace would be a disaster.

Must say Pep you should be disgusted by the team at the end of the game, only gundogen, Fern, walker came to the fans to clap. We took a day off work, paid £60 and got home at 3am to support the blues. To see the team walk off and pep himself was disrespectful. I have seen teams get beat at the Etihad many times 3 or 4 or 5 nil and still players come over to away fans, in fact I would go as far to say as that effort last night was the worse I have seen by any team.

It’s not a great result either. Not scoring makes it much harder. I can see Spurs parking the big bus hoping we get more desperate and then nick one on the break.

I just think with Spurs being in the form they were, we have missed a golden opportunity to have this game all but won. Maybe Anfield last year played on Peps mind.

We now have to go absolutely flat out in the next 4 games. 3 of which are against top 6 sides. It won’t be easy
If winning the quad was easy, it would have been done before! To win all four (and I don’t care what pep says that is what he is going for) this was the only game we could afford to lose and we have, narrowly. Spurs were fortunate, but the injury to Kane balances out that luck, without the big man in the second leg we should go through and this game will be of no consequence.

I know he was playing for a 0-0 or a draw, and he's got close to what he must have expected with that line up but I don't understand why a coach who has KDB and Sane in his side would play like that against Spurs. They are a decent side but not world beaters.

Pep's built an outstanding side, but why play in a way that is totally alien to us?

Don't get it. Pep did a Mourinho when it mattered. I think all the criticism of not being pragmatic enough in Europe has got to him and he did something alien to him.

As a few have said I think it’s Pep in the CL - he lost the plot in Munich and he hasn’t really recovered it here - out of character team selections, weird tactics, doesn’t change it. To be fair he did have some limited options last night but didn’t make the best of them. I’m no fan of the CL so I’ll settle for a clean sweep of domestic honours!

We had 59% possession and 10 shots on goal. I wouldn't say that's going all Atletico. He wasn't playing for a nil all draw.

He had players either injured or coming back from injury. That was our league cup team out there last night and we still dominated and should have got a draw.

It's a fucking miracle we weren't battered to be honest. Mahrez, David Silva, Walker, Fernandinho, Aguero are all either desperately out form or returning from injury.

David Silva has been very poor now for a few weeks, it's alarming.

Gundogan was our best player last night. Dictated the whole game

I think I will duck out.

Thanks for tolerating me for the last few days but I'm sensing a lot of anger here and I don't want to come across as a WUM.

As I said several times in the other thread I thought we would hold our own last night but lose the tie over two legs. Still seems like the obvious outcome.

Anyway, fingers crossed you beat the Dippers to the Premier League title.

Cheers.
Thanks and well done. Frustration is the over-riding emotion. I don't think I have ever seen Pep get a game so wrong in his time here. He used to play high risk football with an ageing defence, now when he has a fantastic side he puts the shackles on. Looks like previous CL expriences with Bayern and City have taken their toll on him and he bottled it. That was not City, and the performance was entirely predictable.

I know, but why have we made it so difficult for ourselves?. There was absolutely no need for that crap team selection last night, afterall this is the trophy that Pep and our owners crave isn't it?.
Not sure the owner will be too impressed if we go out at quarter final stage again

This could have been a lot worse, thought Spurs were poor last night and had we played a team who created more we could have shipped 3 or 4 last night I think. I thought we started to come back into it a bit after an hour but no major chances and the final ball often missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.