QF 1st Leg Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous over-reaction of negativity on this thread last night. I looked at a couple of pages and shut down my computer.
I'm not happy clapping, so don't bother. We could have been better, and I agree that Pep's selection was decidedly odd. I would now frankly always choose Sané and Sterling over Mahrez in games of this sort. And can't Danilo play on the left side at full back?
But broadly, we controlled the game. It is as Pep said. You've got to give some credit to that Son lad for simply refusing to allow the ball to die. He's had a fine season for them (I also agree that Kane being out is not necessarily an advantage for us, incidentally). Other than their actual goal, Eddie was very comfortable with everything he had to deal with. Also credit to Spurs for closing down the lines through the middle of the pitch and not letting us play our attacking game. It's never just “We played shit”. The other team doesn't allow you to play. They looked totally up for it, as you would expect. Second game in their new stadium, first European night.
There's all to play for. The Etihad must be rocking in a week's time, please (sorry, I can't be there. I have work on Wednesdays so I cannot, for the minute, ever fly over for midweek matches. Retirement only three months away, though, so…). Predicted score — 3-1.

Still annoyed by last night..there was very little cohesion and link up between midfield and the attack. D Silva Gundo Mahrez Fernandinho offered very little going forward. Silva in particular has gone off the boil. Fernandinho has been iffy since end of the year, silly pens conceded at Newcastle & Schalke plus needless elbow to Kane's head last night could have been sent off.
Get some pace back in the side and get Sane and KDB starting at Palace, need to start creating again.

Ridiculous over-reaction of negativity on this thread last night. I looked at a couple of pages and shut down my computer.
I'm not happy clapping, so don't bother. We could have been better, and I agree that Pep's selection was decidedly odd. I would now frankly always choose Sané and Sterling over Mahrez in games of this sort. And can't Danilo play on the left side at full back?
But broadly, we controlled the game. It is as Pep said. You've got to give some credit to that Son lad for simply refusing to allow the ball to die. He's had a fine season for them (I also agree that Kane being out is not necessarily an advantage for us, incidentally). Other than their actual goal, Eddie was very comfortable with everything he had to deal with. Also credit to Spurs for closing down the lines through the middle of the pitch and not letting us play our attacking game. It's never just “We played shit”. The other team doesn't allow you to play. They looked totally up for it, as you would expect. Second game in their new stadium, first European night.
There's all to play for. The Etihad must be rocking in a week's time, please (sorry, I can't be there. I have work on Wednesdays so I cannot, for the minute, ever fly over for midweek matches. Retirement only three months away, though, so…). Predicted score — 3-1.
Got back to the hotel last night and opened up the thread.
Got to page five and gave up completely.
Jeez there is a second leg guys!

Not much difference between 1-0 and 0-0.

Spurs would still have to come to us to score, they aren't keeping a clean sheet.
Not sure I agree with. Your argument breaks down if spurs get a goal (no matter how much against the play it is) in the second leg. There is a big difference between needing one goal to needing three. I still think we will win either way.

Got back to the hotel last night and opened up the thread.
Got to page five and gave up completely.
Jeez there is a second leg guys!
I know, but why have we made it so difficult for ourselves?. There was absolutely no need for that crap team selection last night, afterall this is the trophy that Pep and our owners crave isn't it?.

I’m not sure Tottenham would’ve taken a 1-0 and Kane out for the rest of the season if you’d have offerd them. Thought we controlled the game in large parts, Delph loses concentration for a second gets his body position all wrong aswell and it’s in. Aguero needs to learn that in this competition you have to be ultra clinical. Shite soft penalties won’t work. I think we will bounce back at weekend and Tottenham will shit themselves in the return leg.
I was thinking about I would feel in spurs shoes this morning and I am not sure I would be too happy with last night. Mixed feelings at best.

Only three could even be arsed going over to clap the away support last night.

even the gloating rag/dipper infestation on media sites, and the gold-fish attention-span of SOME of our support, was not so depressing as that appalling treatment of the fans. It must not happen again. Pep should have dragged them back, made them acknowledge those who were there, it should be done after every game without exception. A fuckin' disgrace City, never mind result...

Personally I would like to have seen Laporte at left back and Stones at centre half, with De Bruyne playing, and subs on sooner. That said, they are all top players and so it shouldnt matter really. I think given how tactical this two legged euro business is, we are not going through now. Im not bothered myself, controversial or small time I know but I dont give a monkeys for the Champs League. More anything I want us to beat those vile dippers to the league and if a fresh few players help that then all the better

I know, but why have we made it so difficult for ourselves?. There was absolutely no need for that crap team selection last night, afterall this is the trophy that Pep and our owners crave isn't it?.
I don’t get paid the big bucks Pep gets paid. There was ten of us in the pub when the team got announced and we all looked at one another thinking, that’s a strange one. But the ten of us together neither have his knowledge or experience of what we are trying to achieve.
It doesn’t mean people aren’t allowed opinions but the vitriol from most of the posters last night was to their shame alone. Far too many you rarely see, apart from in the match thread, having a go at City and Pep. Not a problem with that, not a problem with criticism, have a problem with people being over the top dickheads having thrown their toys out of the pram.

Noticed one or two of the malingering wankers from the match thread on the board today making other ott contributions. Odd that they aren’t usually on when we win well.

Exactly, this result is not that bad a result. A two legged semi final against Juventus or a final against Barca (I think I have my draw possibilities right there) is a much tougher proposition than this second leg.

It’s not a great result either. Not scoring makes it much harder. I can see Spurs parking the big bus hoping we get more desperate and then nick one on the break.

I just think with Spurs being in the form they were, we have missed a golden opportunity to have this game all but won. Maybe Anfield last year played on Peps mind.

We now have to go absolutely flat out in the next 4 games. 3 of which are against top 6 sides. It won’t be easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.