Can Anyone Explain the last 10 Minutes Tactics?

It's about making sure Burnley are back in their own half and all of our players are where they're supposed to be. If we attack at speed then lose it, they'll have a bunch of big players up top against our midgets in tonnes of space to work with.

It wasn't about not scoring a second, it was about guaranteeing they don't score. If they scored it would've been an almighty task getting a winner, so why bother risking it?

And it worked perfectly, they didn't come close, and we still created chances.

This.

Credit to Burnley but they were not afraid of pushing players up the field. If we had gone for goal every break they would have just punted long balls as soon as we lost possession and it would have turned into a ding dong match. Too much of that and they would have scored in the end (although that is assuming we didnt get a 2nd). Much better to hold the ball and make sure they get back into shape, take the drama out of it and preserve the legs.

This is worse than the match day thread! Same idiots complaining even after we've won, you couldn't make it up, FFS.

It’s not complaining. It’s a discussion. It was part of the game, so it’s a valid topic to discuss. OK?

As a life long City fan I have never ever seen a City team, or a City Manager, use those kind of tactics before.

If you went Yesterday like I did, you will have witnessed City fans screaming at the players to keep on attacking when we broke away, and the nervous and agitated frustration when the players stopped with the ball, held on to it outside Burnley’s 18 yard box, and began playing the ball about amongst themselves, allowing the Burnley players to get back, and to get into shape. Sometimes we lost the ball doing that, gave possession back to Burnley, and the ball was then humped up field, putting our defenders under pressure. Even Pep was losing his rag with some of the misplaced passes and mistakes when we stopped attacking and started passing the ball around instead. That wouldn’t have been obvious if you were watching the match on TV. If you were at the match you would know exactly what I mean.

Surely any team protecting a 1-0 lead in a game of that importance is vulnerable to that though? Especially against a team like Burnley who set out in games to to be only a goal behind before launching a bit of an assault for the last ten mins.

I hated watching those last minutes but I think it would have been awful to watch no matter how we set about containing them.

How about 'fuck containing them' and pushing on in the manner we had been doing that had done us well for the 2nd half?

It’s not complaining. It’s a discussion. It was part of the game, so it’s a valid topic to discuss. OK?

As a life long City fan I have never ever seen a City team, or a City Manager, use those kind of tactics before.

If you went Yesterday like I did, you will have witnessed City fans screaming at the players to keep on attacking when we broke away, and the nervous and agitated frustration when the players stopped with the ball, held on to it outside Burnley’s 18 yard box, and began playing the ball about amongst themselves, allowing the Burnley players to get back, and to get into shape. Sometimes we lost the ball doing that, gave possession back to Burnley, and the ball was then humped up field, putting our defenders under pressure. Even Pep was losing his rag with some of the misplaced passes and mistakes when we stopped attacking and started passing the ball around instead. That wouldn’t have been obvious if you were watching the match on TV. If you were at the match you would know exactly what I mean.

We controlled the game superbly in the 2nd half...the amount of effort the team have put in over the last few weeks, it looked like fatigue in my opinion as we would normally have gone for the 2nd. And also, by holding onto the ball and letting the Burnley players get back into shape meant all their players were back defending....rather than the game becoming scrappy which would've played into Burnley's favour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.