Can Anyone Explain the last 10 Minutes Tactics?

So you think we were not in danger of a sucker punch?
A pen or deflection etc. Cos i did.

Surely any team protecting a 1-0 lead in a game of that importance is vulnerable to that though? Especially against a team like Burnley who set out in games to to be only a goal behind before launching a bit of an assault for the last ten mins.

I hated watching those last minutes but I think it would have been awful to watch no matter how we set about containing them.

No, I felt comfortable.

A sucker punch could happen whatever why you play, it is football.

I felt once we scored we would not give it up. Especially with Vinny there, I always feel better in games like that when he is playing

Like many I would have preferred to see us get a second which we v nearly did with Jesus.
Unlike others though I would never criticise Pep for making defensive subs with 10 mins left and overall was more than happy about how we managed the game in those last minutes. We managed to keep the ball pretty well, limiting their opportunities.
Bringing Stones and Otamendi on was definitely the correct tactic to counteract the long ball up and at em tactics of non football Burnley.

It's about making sure Burnley are back in their own half and all of our players are where they're supposed to be. If we attack at speed then lose it, they'll have a bunch of big players up top against our midgets in tonnes of space to work with.

It wasn't about not scoring a second, it was about guaranteeing they don't score. If they scored it would've been an almighty task getting a winner, so why bother risking it?

And it worked perfectly, they didn't come close, and we still created chances.
Probably true. But what the fuck was that on the freekick we got for Dave being fouled in the last minute? Gundogan lobbed it into their box. Like WTF?

That blew my mind and gave me chills. Looked like what Palace did after we equalized and just before Aguero's magic.

Burnley's tactics were simple, retreat into their own half and if they won the ball they'd punt it past our midfield to Barnes who had to bring in the rest of their players or win soft free kicks.

Our way of stopping this at 1-0 was to win the ball and slow it down to allow them to go back into their half which meant everytime we lost possession and it came forwards they didn't have any supporting players.

At 1-0 all we needed to do was keep posession and they'd either have to come out and we could pick them off or we could just knock it about and wait for the whistle.

I think the idea was to limit their opportunity for a sucker punch, though.

If we pile forward on the break and run at them 3 on 2 or 4 on 3 or whatever, that means they have more players in our half than us.

If our attack breaks down, it leaves us vulnerable to a long ball sucker punch from Burnley where they’d have a spare man.

It must be something Burnley do a lot of and we clearly prepared for it as I’ve never seen us do that before.

You’d have to say it worked as Burnley had 0 shots on goal and 0 corners, so we pretty much limited them to 0 chances to sucker punch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.