Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Exactly.

But tbh it wouldn't even matter if Kylie was on at one & some other similar shite on at the other, provided those acts are popular.

But it needn't even be two music events, you could have Kylie at one & Monster Trucks or some shite at the other.

With the advent of Brexit, it would also be good for the low paid workers who set all this shit up, to have more than one venue available to make it easier for events to tour here.
Oi...don’t diss Kylie...

The Arena was the best in Europe when it was built.

Feels like it’s barely been touched in the time since though.

Needs an absolutely huge renovation to bring it to the standards of the worlds best arenas.
The seating has been replaced since the bomb in 2017. Concourses etc remain the same. Cost nearly £80 for 8 drinks and a hot dog!

You'd have thought the MCR arena owners would have backed their words up with some information and images of the arena redevelopment.

This is what we’ve got planned......

Exactly.

But tbh it wouldn't even matter if Kylie was on at one & some other similar shite on at the other, provided those acts are popular.

But it needn't even be two music events, you could have Kylie at one & Monster Trucks or some shite at the other.

With the advent of Brexit, it would also be good for the low paid workers who set all this shit up, to have more than one venue available to make it easier for events to tour here.
As much as it pained me i was at anfield last night to watch Pink (she was amazing, but the stadium is a shit hole). Westlife were also playing the arena on the docks as well and both were a sell out and the city centre was absolutely packed in the afternoon and at night with people who'd been attending both. If the events are right, then both venues could still prosper.

The Arena was the best in Europe when it was built.

Feels like it’s barely been touched in the time since though.

Needs an absolutely huge renovation to bring it to the standards of the worlds best arenas.
The arena compares really badly with the newer types of venue such as those in Leeds or Glasgow. From that perspective alone a new arena would be worthwhile

As much as it pained me i was at anfield last night to watch Pink (she was amazing, but the stadium is a shit hole). Westlife were also playing the arena on the docks as well and both were a sell out and the city centre was absolutely packed in the afternoon and at night with people who'd been attending both. If the events are right, then both venues could still prosper.
Spot-on. It's the event that matters. If there's a great attraction at the new arena visitors will make a day of it and spend money in the nearby city-centre rather than the stiff competition from the outlets in Beswick precinct! The Northern Quarter is rammed when City are at home. The old arena will have to up its game to compete and so will the Printworks. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I don't hear complaints when The Etihad or Old Toilet are hosting concerts all summer and the MEN have events on the same time...

Well to be fair that's a very different type of gig. The stadiums will be for gigs with 3x the capacity the Arena can hold, they aren't direct competitors like this would be.

I don't know why people are surprised/taken aback by 1 business with a monopoly objecting to having a direct competitor being built 3 miles away. It's just going to be part of the process - I'd be more surprised if they took it lying down.

IIRC The Printworks owner also complained, knowing full well that a new development will result in a bunch of chain restaurants/bars popping up around it as well.

Maybe they should establish an FFP but for arenas? That'll really help the big-name established arenas prevent any unfortunately run arena going bust.

Well to be fair that's a very different type of gig. The stadiums will be for gigs with 3x the capacity the Arena can hold, they aren't direct competitors like this would be.

I don't know why people are surprised/taken aback by 1 business with a monopoly objecting to having a direct competitor being built 3 miles away. It's just going to be part of the process - I'd be more surprised if they took it lying down.

IIRC The Printworks owner also complained, knowing full well that a new development will result in a bunch of chain restaurants/bars popping up around it as well.

That’s true sometimes but for example Bruce Springsteen has played the Etihad twice but he will be playing Leeds Arena in a few months with a quarter of our capacity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.