Help me get my toddler to sleep

That’s what we’re trying tonight. He’s fucking his bedroom right up. There’s nothing he can get to that will hurt him, but I keep hearing his toys going flying
You just have to be persistent and hold your nerve, because the first time you give in, he's won and he will just keep pressing your buttons.

You just have to be persistent and hold your nerve, because the first time you give in, he's won and he will just keep pressing your buttons.
Yeah, we’ve had barneys over it because one of us gives in just to stop the screaming. It’s torture. I thought I was fairly laid back until I had a child. What really worries me is that people choose to have another baby after they’ve had one! Never again haha.

The perennial parenting issue, we are still dealing with our daughter (who will turn 4 this week) often joining us in our bed between 1&3 am - we have a plan of action but waiting until we return from a long upcoming vacation. Vacations always seem to disrupt their sleeping routine, first week back is always a mixed bag of interrupted sleep

Our son was the classic nightmare scenario in that we barely got a normal night of sleep until he was 10-11 months old, the worst time of my life. But it got better once we found a consistent routine and stuck with it

Patience and a regular routine is the general guidelines for ensuring proper sleep habits for kids - I'm sure you've read about the sleep cycles, no pre-bed screen time, sugary foods/drinks etc. but key is routine, sticking to that routine and while mixing it up never let them get into your bed (Like we have with our daughter). It's the cardinal sin that is hard to undo without serious patience because it takes time to undo it

But consistent routine, even involving them in the planning - good luck, it passes but painful until it does

And if it's any consolation, my impression is that most parents lie about how well their kids sleep - if you went by word of mouth, it'd seem no one has any sleep issues when it is the single biggest complaint pediatricians hear about

Last edited:
Yeah, we’ve had barneys over it because one of us gives in just to stop the screaming. It’s torture. I thought I was fairly laid back until I had a child. What really worries me is that people choose to have another baby after they’ve had one! Never again haha.
Noise cancelling headphones were made for exactly this.

We went through a phase of staying in his room till he fell asleep before sneaking out. Good short term solution but obviously unsustainable in the long run!
Yeah we’ve been doing that for a while now but when he wakes up, whatever time of night, and we’re not there, he screams.

Yeah we’ve been doing that for a while now but when he wakes up, whatever time of night, and we’re not there, he screams.
That may be your problem mate, and the longer you do it for the worse he may get.

You think you've got problems my daughter is 17 years old and still won't sleep, she has CP and its like having a naughty 2 year old but for the last 15years, so count your blessings and love and cherish them they grow up too quickly well some do haha
Kudos to you mate, that’s another level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.