Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a stupid comment. I wonder why he hasn’t?
Probably for the same reason that Lewis Hamilton doesn’t drive the slowest car he can find and why Roger Federer doesn’t use a wooden racket.
Pep has earned his place at the top of the game and it’s insane to suggest he should handicap himself just to prove something.
Yup, you see this nonsense everywhere. Also "My gran could win the title with those players". Er....no she couldn't.

Probably for the same reason that Lewis Hamilton doesn’t drive the slowest car he can find and why Roger Federer doesn’t use a wooden racket.
Pep has earned his place at the top of the game and it’s insane to suggest he should handicap himself just to prove something.
I've actually heard this said that pep hasn't done it at a lower team, it's very dipperish and possibly the most stupid thing doing the rounds, maybe Messi will prove himself at Notts county

It was an interview with L'Equipe. He didn't have to mention Poch at all.

Of course Pep is one of, if not the most, admired and revered managers in the world (though he has never tested himself at a club with limited resources). But there are only 25 senior players in the entire world who can play for him in any given season. Which means that the other gazillion players weigh up their decisions as to where to move next at least partially on how they rate every other manager. And, among the remainder, Poch is unquestionably near the top. Of the current managers at top clubs in top leagues, I can only think of Klopp who is currently more highly rated.

As I said in a previous post, to judge a manager solely on what he has or hasn't won - irregardless of the resources that he has had to work with - is both limiting and wrongheaded.

Ndombele is playing for Spurs because City preferred Rodri. Most fans accept that. Did Pochettino make a difference? Sure. He persuaded him to sign for Spurs rather than United, Liverpool, Juve or West Ham.

In less than two years, it’s six decades since they last won the league; an astonishing period for a self-proclaimed ‘big’ club.

Not something to be mocked, but defitely observed and bored about, given their pontifications.

They'll fuck it up again, though. They always do.

This argument that Spurs not winning things means they are not a valid club is lazy and simply wrong . Because Spurs have not won anything, they cant sign Ndombele? Because they are not winning anything, they can't build a fancy new stadium? Because Spurs are not winning anything they cant get a big sponsorship deal? Because Spurs are not winning anything they can't expect to play in the Champions League? Because Spurs are not winning anything, we cant aim high. Because Spurs are not winning anything we cant be proud of our club. Because Spurs are not winning anything we cant consider ourselves a leading club. Because Spurs are not winning anything, we cant have hope or expectations.

It's bollocks. The sort of argument loved by TalkSport and their disgusting sycophants which they use to drive the vulnerable into debt and desperation.

Spurs are a very good club. We have a luxury new stadium which will be mostly full of fans from all over the World. A strong brand. We have good players. A good manager. And a realistic chance of winning a trophy. So to suggest we are not valid club is... well... a bit silly.

JimB - according to your logic, how does Robbie Keane then have

I take it you genuinely believe every club Robbie Keane joined was his "boyhood dream" then??

Perhaps you could first explain what Robbie Keane has to do with the discussion, then I could perhaps answer your questions!!

Last edited:

Yup, you see this nonsense everywhere. Also "My gran could win the title with those players". Er....no she couldn't.

I've actually heard this said that pep hasn't done it at a lower team, it's very dipperish and possibly the most stupid thing doing the rounds, maybe Messi will prove himself at Notts county

Trust me, fellas, I wasn't having a pop at Pep. I have huge respect for what he has won and how his teams play. Nor was I saying that he should have gone to a lesser team to test himself. I was merely pointing out the plain fact that taking on a club that is outside the elite on very tight budget is not something that he has ever had to contend with. And that renders comparisons with other manager's records unsatisfactory.

Of course Pep is one of, if not the most, admired and revered managers in the world (though he has never tested himself at a club with limited resources). But there are only 25 senior players in the entire world who can play for him in any given season. Which means that the other gazillion players weigh up their decisions as to where to move next at least partially on how they rate every other manager. And, among the remainder, Poch is unquestionably near the top. Of the current managers at top clubs in top leagues, I can only think of Klopp who is currently more highly rated.

As I said in a previous post, to judge a manager solely on what he has or hasn't won - irregardless of the resources that he has had to work with - is both limiting and wrongheaded.

I hate shit comments like this, there's a reason he's not managing Bournemouth for example, it's because he's the best in the world. It's like complaining that Da Vinci didn't paint your bathroom ffs.

Trust me, fellas, I wasn't having a pop at Pep. I have huge respect for what he has won and how his teams play. Nor was I saying that he should have gone to a lesser team to test himself. I was merely pointing out the plain fact that taking on a club that is outside the elite on very tight budget is not something that he has ever had to contend with. And that renders comparisons with other manager's records unsatisfactory.

You said “he’s never tested himself” as though he has deliberately avoided the challenge, which is not quite the same as the above comment. Anyway, it’s a completely unnecessary pop at Pep which makes no sense.
And it’s a bit of a stretch to say he can’t be compared to other managers, unless you believe Pochettino’s idiotic comment about winning being good for nothing except egos or whatever it was he said.

You can fuck off coming on here with that shit.

When he took over at barca, an out and out rookie, that team was on the brink. They'd gone astray from the Cruyff ethos and Pep reinstated it. This amongst some huge characters in the dressing room. He earned the right to carry on at the top level because he proved right off the bat that he could hack it at the top level.

Simple as that.

His year at Barca B not count for anything? Genuine question, I'm not that familiar with the lower tiers in Spanish football or if Barca B enjoy financial advantages over their rivals.

I hate shit comments like this, there's a reason he's not managing Bournemouth for example, it's because he's the best in the world. It's like complaining that Da Vinci didn't paint your bathroom ffs.

You can fuck off coming on here with that shit.

When he took over at barca, an out and out rookie, that team was on the brink. They'd gone astray from the Cruyff ethos and Pep reinstated it. This amongst some huge characters in the dressing room. He earned the right to carry on at the top level because he proved right off the bat that he could hack it at the top level.

Simple as that.

See my clarification above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.