Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Spurs will be our biggest rivals next season. They have made a couple of great signings. We have a stronger squad of course and can cope with any injuries a little better. But with a fit KDB, Mendy, Rodri and the boy from Juventus ( if we do get him) all teams in the league should be afraid.

If they keep hold of everyone and sign Lo Celso & Ndombele then I think they'll be up with Liverpool, but I think we'll be 7-10 points ahead of both by the end of it all.

They might start becoming a big obstacle in the cups though.

If they keep hold of everyone and sign Lo Celso & Ndombele then I think they'll be up with Liverpool, but I think we'll be 7-10 points ahead of both by the end of it all.

They might start becoming a big obstacle in the cups though.

I can't believe that Spurs can bring in all these midfielders and keep Christian Eriksen.

With Ndombele already signed, Lo Celso close and reports from Spain today of both Ceballos and Olmo being agreed (though I doubt that they both are), Eriksen has to be on his way.

I can't believe that Spurs can bring in all these midfielders and keep Christian Eriksen.

With Ndombele already signed, Lo Celso close and reports from Spain today of both Ceballos and Olmo being agreed (though I doubt that they both are), Eriksen has to be on his way.

I guess you just have to hope Pogba forces his way out of United. Real won't buy both him and Eriksen.

I only think you'll get 1 of Ceballos or Lo Celso, they're quite similar. To be honest though your midfield really needed fixing- Spurs fans are attached to them for various reasons but Wanyama, Winks, Dier and Sissokho wouldn't be playing at either Liverpool or City and that's the level you're trying to reach.

I'm not entirely sure who is supposed to be the sitting midfielder though.

I guess you just have to hope Pogba forces his way out of United. Real won't buy both him and Eriksen.

I only think you'll get 1 of Ceballos or Lo Celso, they're quite similar. To be honest though your midfield really needed fixing- Spurs fans are attached to them for various reasons but Wanyama, Winks, Dier and Sissokho wouldn't be playing at either Liverpool or City and that's the level you're trying to reach.

I think you underestimate WInks and Sissokho (sic).

Wanyama was superb in his first season but nothing like the same player since blighted by injury over the past couple of years. Dier is a handy player to have around, just for his versatility. But agreed that neither of them are getting near the City midfield especially. Sissoko was gash for two and a half years until halfway through last season when, all of a sudden, he underwent the most extraordinary metamorphosis I’ve ever seen in a player. Almost overnight, he went from wholly ineffectual liability with zero confidence to a storming box to box midfielder who could pass, tackle and break the line in equal measure - coupled with supreme work rate. He’s never going to be the most subtle, clinical or technical of players so he’d never make it into Pep’s midfield. But given that Liverpool’s regular options included Henderson and Milner, he could easily challenge for a place there. As to Winks, he’s a super little player - the kind who is unappreciated by most but loved by managers and those who really know the game. If injury free, I’d rather have him than Delph, for instance.

I don’t believe that Ceballos and Lo Celso are that similar. I would agree that it seems a bit strange to be after both Lo Celso and Olmo, though.

As to an out and out sitting midfielder, I think Poch largely intends to play without one. Will more likely line up with a double pivot.

Wanyama was superb in his first season but nothing like the same player since blighted by injury over the past couple of years. Dier is a handy player to have around, just for his versatility. But agreed that neither of them are getting near the City midfield especially. Sissoko was gash for two and a half years until halfway through last season when, all of a sudden, he underwent the most extraordinary metamorphosis I’ve ever seen in a player. Almost overnight, he went from wholly ineffectual liability with zero confidence to a storming box to box midfielder who could pass, tackle and break the line in equal measure - coupled with supreme work rate. He’s never going to be the most subtle, clinical or technical of players so he’d never make it into Pep’s midfield. But given that Liverpool’s regular options included Henderson and Milner, he could easily challenge for a place there. As to Winks, he’s a super little player - the kind who is unappreciated by most but loved by managers and those who really know the game. If injury free, I’d rather have him than Delph, for instance.

I don’t believe that Ceballos and Lo Celso are that similar. I would agree that it seems a bit strange to be after both Lo Celso and Olmo, though.

As to an out and out sitting midfielder, I think Poch largely intends to play without one. Will more likely line up with a double pivot.
Good thing Delph can't get a sniff in midfield for us then eh?

@salfordbluetrue

I've brought this over from the Ndombele thread in the transfer section because, now that he's a confirmed Spurs signing, I guess that you guys don't really want that thread bumped. I don't want this to sound (too much!) like a 'nya, nya...told you so' kind of post. It's more meant just to give you a more informed idea of how players see Poch. Firstly, a quick recap of what you said:

What tosh, you actually believe that Poch is a good selling point 16 trophies failed

Stop living in fantasy land Poch is not a good selling point he has achieved nothing but empty praise from the media

Still think your fantasizing that Poch is a big draw, he has taken Tottenham to a new level alright they have never been so dull or dirty

And this is what Ndombele had to say in an interview with L'Equipe that was published today:

Ndombele on picking Tottenham: "I think it's a great choice. What guided me was the Premier League, the Top 4 in England, a very good coach who'll help me reach another level. I'm at a crossroads. You weigh up the pros and cons and you choose."

More Ndombele on Tottenham: "It's a carefully thought-out decision. Tottenham have one of the best coaches in the world. The fact that he wants you really makes you want to work with him. It's he who tipped the balance in my decision."

Ndombele on Pochettino persuasion: "It's hard to describe but he knows how to touch, to mark people. He looked me in the eye and said "come with me and I'm sure I'll help you progress". That kind of thing made me want to sign. I saw that he really wanted and liked me."

Poch isn't Pep. He doesn't have Pep's astounding record of winning trophies (but then, he's never had anything like the same level of resources to work with). Poch still has much to prove. Pep hardly has anything left to prove. But that doesn't mean that Poch isn't still a big draw; a great selling point for potential signings.

They can't all play for Pep, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.