Bury fans club AFC start a new life in NWCL

This is awful news for the people that have lost their jobs, the fans and local businesses who depend on the club.

I do think it's unfair to single out people like the Nevilles (or us for that matter as some people seem to have done) and expect them to sort it out. It's nobody else's to job to come in and clean up this mess if they don't want to. The blame lies with the people that have run these clubs into the ground and the expect someone to come and bail them out. It's a failure of governance and i hope the governing bodies finally take notice.

As for Bury, I just hope the community can pull together and start the long road back. There's an opportunity to rebuild the club from scratch. With their attendances and proximity to the Manchester clubs, there's a ceiling on what Bury can achieve but if the fans are able to rebuild the club and manage their expectations then it could be the start of a great journey and one where they have a club they all feel truly proud of and connected to.

Awful news.

I've not read much on this but I'm guessing the guy who's mainly responsible for this is the owner (Day) who got them promoted but funded their promotion winning team by mortgaging the ground and by lending them millions from another business he owned which the subsequent owner fought to recoup despite buying Bury for £1?

Fylde and Fleetwood are just clubs funded by pissed-off Blackpool fans.

Salford are a vanity project by people who can’t obtain ownership of the Rags.

Not proper clubs, just bollocks.
No. I dont know about Fylde, but Fleetwood have a long history of local support. In about 1965 I attended their FA Cup 1st round tie against Rochdale. O-0 draw at Fleetwood, followed by 5-0 replay defeat. But bags of locals at the first game.

What about billionaire Bury-born John Whittaker. A guy born into a family that built its wealth on the back of the blood, sweat and toil of working class folk from the town and surrounding areas.
The fact he is a tax exile in the Isle of Man tells you all you need to know about his passion for the town of Bury. Yesterday was a very,very sad day for football.

Not allowed to be fair due to having league club. No one would onvest in Bury with any sense.

Starting again is the most sensible option financially, maybe they would get involved if in lower non-league.
You can invest in more than one EFL club, provided your holding is no more than 29.99%.

A good post over on BV (which shows what a farce ffp is)
Imagine buying a small shop on the High St with a vision of challenging the bigger shop a couple of doors down one day. You invest your cash, and overtake him, but eventually the governing body turns around and says "Sorry, you're getting too big. Not only have you invested too much of your own cash, but we're going to fine you and reduce your ability to compete by limiting the number of employees you're allowed for a couple of years".

Would anyone in their right mind, genuinely interested in growing a business and not asset-stripping or making a fast buck themselves, even get past discussing that with a mate down the pub?
The 72 EFL clubs owe £338m between them - how will they ever pay it back? An EFL club can lose £13m over 3 years - how is a business performing that badly ever going to pay that back without promotion or outside investment?

First club I ever visited with my dad way back almost 60 years ago. I think it was Wolves. Gutted for the town, club and of course the supporters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.