Was Alan Ball as bad as people remember?

Rank these in order .... listed mine, included not only trophies but likability, etc

BALL ........... 20
BENSON .......19
MACHIN ........13
FRANK CLARKE ........18
COPPELL ....... 14
HUGHES ...... 12
PEARCE ....... 15
SVEN ..........10
MCNEILL ........... 17
ALLISON ( As Manager ) ...... 16
JUDAS KENDALL ......... 11
PEP ..... 1
MERCER ......2
BOOK ....... 6
KEEGAN ........ 8
MANCINI ....... 3
PELLEGRINI ........ 5
REID ........ 4
ROYLE .......... 9
BOND ...... 7

Quite good,

What did Coppell do in his 2 weeks though? Or is it that he didn't have enough time to get ranked lower -)

Absolutely right re: Sam Ellis. Had the misfortune of watching Bury on the odd occasion when he was manager there and I think "agricultural" is probably a kind way to describe the way he liked his football played. I personally think the sale of Michael Hughes and replacing him with Rick Holden was also an extremely poor decision at that time.
Not selling Colin Hendry would have helped. Presumably the contract City offered to Hughes was a lowball piss take.

Rank these in order .... listed mine, included not only trophies but likability, etc

BALL ........... 21
BENSON .......20
MACHIN ........14
FRANK CLARK ........19
COPPELL ....... 15
HUGHES ...... 13
PEARCE ....... 16
SVEN ..........10
MCNEILL ........... 18
ALLISON ( As Manager ) ...... 17
HORTON 12
PEP ..... 1
MERCER ......2
BOOK ....... 6
KEEGAN ........ 8
MANCINI ....... 3
PELLEGRINI ........ 5
REID ........ 4
ROYLE .......... 9
BOND ...... 7

Reid at 4 - must be some kind of piss take.

BALL ........... 21
BENSON .......20
MACHIN ........14
FRANK CLARK ........19
COPPELL ....... 15
HUGHES ...... 13
PEARCE ....... 16
SVEN ..........10
MCNEILL ........... 18
ALLISON ( As Manager ) ...... 17
HORTON 12
PEP ..... 1
MERCER ......2
BOOK ....... 6
KEEGAN ........ 8
MANCINI ....... 3
PELLEGRINI ........ 5
REID ........ 4
ROYLE .......... 9
BOND ...... 7

1 - Pep
2 - Mercer / Allison
3 - Mancini
4 - Pellegrini
5 - Book
6 - Sven
7 - Judas Kendall
8 - Keegan
9 - Royle
10 - Bond
11 - Hughes
12 - Reid
13 - Horton
14 - McNeill
15 - Allison
16 - Machin
17 - Pearce
18 - Frank Clarke
19 - Benson
20 - Ball
21 - Coppell

In July Francis Lee controversially appointed Alan Ball as City’s manager. Lee commented “Alan Ball says this is the manager’s job he has been waiting for and that he is willing to die for the club. If the players go out with the same determination, we will be on our way” Some of the players weren’t as enamored with Ball as Francis Lee, in his autobiography Richard Edghill recalls; ‘On his first day of training his wife was upstairs at Platt Lane waving his World Cup medal to anyone who cared, Nobody did, much. His wife would often be at the training ground. Ball tried to stamp his authority but having her flashing his medal about like Tessa Sanderson at the Olympic Games did nothing to help the cause.’

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/1995-96/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.