18 years to the day since 9/11

I flew into NYC last night, with the Twin Tower lights lit up. Eerie, but an excellent homage.

Lost a friend, First Officer LeRoy Homer, in the Shanksville crash (Flt 93). Heard the CVR of their attack. Not pretty listening to someone you know die and then listening to the person who murdered him on the aircraft radio.

There is currently a Flt 93 memorial (pictures of each crew member with a biography, flowers, flags, etc.) in Terminal C at Newark, which is where the flight left from.

To this day, there are Stars and Stripes flown (every day) at the gates from which each flight left.

It certainly changed my life!!!

That's really touching mate

My boss was there when it happened. Was only about 500 yards away when the plane hit. Made his way back to the hotel on foot and stayed inside it until they went home.

watched a doco recently that high-lighted the explosive power of molten aluminium when it meets water. Although the planes were shredded there would still be 30+ tons of it and the footage of molten metal streaming from the impact area was pretty conclusive. The sprinkler system provided the second part of the chemical equation, and verifies witness statements that a series of explosions were heard prior to the collapse. The official findings that the steel girders melted due to "office furniture" burning has been challenged from the publication of the report, several similar structures suffered fires but did not collapse. Proving this theory has reached a dead-end, as the relevant authorities will not allow samples of the rubble to be tested. There were a few shots of destroyed aluminium smelters , where molten aluminium had reacted with water and levelled the site . WT 7 though ?

I flew into NYC last night, with the Twin Tower lights lit up. Eerie, but an excellent homage.

Lost a friend, First Officer LeRoy Homer, in the Shanksville crash (Flt 93). Heard the CVR of their attack. Not pretty listening to someone you know die and then listening to the person who murdered him on the aircraft radio.

There is currently a Flt 93 memorial (pictures of each crew member with a biography, flowers, flags, etc.) in Terminal C at Newark, which is where the flight left from.

To this day, there are Stars and Stripes flown (every day) at the gates from which each flight left.

It certainly changed my life!!!

That must have been awful. To do this day I can't read that CVR transcript, I can't watch that movie, I haven't visited Ground Zero. I don't have the courage honestly.

Cheers to you and your brothers and sisters at UA for getting us places safe and sound.

It's outrageous the way it's been allowed to change the course of history, to this extent.

Most likely would have been foiled, but for the appalling levels of security around domestic US flights at that time. 9/11 was so avoidable and therefore, also, the chaos that has followed it.

Not a usually conspiracy theorist, more a cock-up theorist most of the time, but there's nothing wrong with questioning stuff when the stakes are high power and wealth, both of which do funny things to people.

It's outrageous the way it's been allowed to change the course of history, to this extent.

Most likely would have been foiled, but for the appalling levels of security around domestic US flights at that time. 9/11 was so avoidable and therefore, also, the chaos that has followed it.

Not a usually conspiracy theorist, more a cock-up theorist most of the time, but there's nothing wrong with questioning stuff when the stakes are high power and wealth, both of which do funny things to people.
Americans will move heaven and earth to stop war coming to their shores....regardless of what either of us think about that.

Accordingly, when a small group of men brought death to the financial and government centers of America (some might say world) it changed the dynamics of how potentially fragile the entire system might be. That required an unequivocal response...again, regardless of what either of us think about that...from the power brokers who were in charge of husbanding that system.

As to the security of the day, I’d venture it was the same everywhere and your hindsight is 20/20. The primary threat to aviation had been, and was considered at that time, hijacking. We have had policies and procedures for that for decades. This was something different...this was using an aircraft (its fuel, mass and speed) as a weapon (explosive device) of mass destruction. That sea change, using the aircraft as a WMD, coupled with other terrorist threats (esp the sophisticated Philippine bomb threat) completely changed the dynamics. Now, the multi-layered security system in place is designed to stop the secreting of sufficient equipment or materiel to create a WMD out of an aircraft or simply turn it into a 200,000lb+ bomb. A 747-400 @ max takeoff weight is 875,000lbs. That’s a big bang if it goes boom.

I will be completely honest here, I was told by a gardener as I was crossing across the hotel complex I worked at and will admit my first reaction was a shrug and fuck sake some cunts about, but no great thought more tha that.
I grew up during the 70s and 80s and we had our fair share of terrorist attacks plus ETA were on the news every other week another one happening over the pond in america gave me about the same reaction as any other terrorist attack overseas.

Obviously as footage came in of the towers and casulties it became more relevant and saddening.

It deffinately scarred the US, and will remain in the psyche of American generations to come.

Americans will move heaven and earth to stop war coming to their shores....regardless of what either of us think about that.

Accordingly, when a small group of men brought death to the financial and government centers of America (some might say world) it changed the dynamics of how potentially fragile the entire system might be. That required an unequivocal response...again, regardless of what either of us think about that...from the power brokers who were in charge of husbanding that system.

As to the security of the day, I’d venture it was the same everywhere and your hindsight is 20/20. The primary threat to aviation had been, and was considered at that time, hijacking. We have had policies and procedures for that for decades. This was something different...this was using an aircraft (its fuel, mass and speed) as a weapon (explosive device) of mass destruction. That sea change, using the aircraft as a WMD, coupled with other terrorist threats (esp the sophisticated Philippine bomb threat) completely changed the dynamics. Now, the multi-layered security system in place is designed to stop the secreting of sufficient equipment or materiel to create a WMD out of an aircraft or simply turn it into a 200,000lb+ bomb. A 747-400 @ max takeoff weight is 875,000lbs. That’s a big bang if it goes boom.

Depending on what report you believe up to 1.5 million innocent civilians have been killed since. Whatever way you look at it the USA and her allies completely botched the response which has led to further conflict and tension that will never end.

The American government were already desperate at the time to get an excuse to go to war.
An American neo-con think tank group named PNAC (Project for New American century) a few years before 9/11 said it would require "a new pearl harbour" to get America to go war. Several members of this think tank would go on to be part of the bush administration at the time 9/11.
The gits got their excuse to go to war alright

https://web.archive.org/web/20110224030050/http://www.newstatesman.com/200212160005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.