Rugby League thread

Manly v Cronulla in the NRL play offs on Sky Sports Action, just about to kick off now

It has been an eight team playoffs in the past and still is in the NRL. Nobody from eighth has won it though.

But finish top, you only have to win two games - your home game (Game 3) and win the GF and you’re Champions. Win from 5th by winning three away games against teams who all finished above you in the league and then the GF against most likely the team who finished 1st and I’d say fair fucks to you.

Leeds have won from 5th twice.
In all seriousness, I think something like this should be adapted for the FL play offs, so finishing 3rd in the championship is actually much better than finishing 6th. Win 1 home game (after a week off) and one game at Wembley (after another week off) and you’re promoted. What’s not to like?

It’s the best and fairest format for a play offs system. It makes the league season mean more as the higher up you finish the more of an advantage you get.

Finish 1st and you get a week off and home advantage; finish 1st 2nd or 3rd and if you lose in Week 1 or Week 2 and you get another chance so that a fluke result doesn’t mean you go straight out; win Game 3 and you get a week off and go straight to the GF.

The lower down you finish, you have to play away from home against teams that finished above you in the league and finish 4th or 5th and every game is an eliminator/sudden death.
Fuckin hell. The RFL have consulted NASA on that. They'll be coming up with a Brexit solution next.

Fuckin hell. The RFL have consulted NASA on that. They'll be coming up with a Brexit solution next.
They’d do a better job!

It’s the same format that was used from 1998-2001, always thought it was the best one.

It has been an eight team playoffs in the past and still is in the NRL. Nobody from eighth has won it though.

But finish top, you only have to win two games - your home game (Game 3) and win the GF and you’re Champions. Win from 5th by winning three away games against teams who all finished above you in the league and then the GF against most likely the team who finished 1st and I’d say fair fucks to you.

Leeds have won from 5th twice.

Leeds and Wigan have both excelled in the play offs when they have players back, fresh, from mid season injuries. IMHO their league position has sometimes masked how strong their teams are.

Another factor in their success over the years has been that they usually play their own style of play regardless of the opposition. Saints often played a more limited game when there has been a few showers in the Grand Final and it has cost them over the years.

Got to congratulate my team Salford on a magnificent season. We've not finished that highfor absolute donkeys years. Let's hope we beat the pie eating twats and get to the Swamp. It'll be full of complete barm pots.

I will be cheering on Salford in the Grand Final if they make it. My Great Grandad played for Salford and I wish them well.

The only downside is that I love to sing Bluemoon in the Bishops on Grand Final day and it might be a tad riskier if Salford make the final.

Swinton will never again play in the Swinton & Pendlebury area. The board made it clear the future lies in Trafford. I live close to where the old Station Rd ground used to be. It was good for a drink on a Sunday back when pubs closed 2 till 7. Many an all dayer started up in the bar beneath the Main Stand. Manchester Swinton Lions, come on fellas it's now time to move forward or end up as an like Broughton Rangers.
Martin Samuel has a piece in the Mail, sorry can't post the link. on the shameful decision to save them by killing them (taking away the name) and on how the name matters. Apparently Maze has resigned, taken aback at fans' desire to keep Swinton as Swinton and not make it part of some branding & marketing exercise.

Under performing and lacklustre by Warrington last night.

Salford making a game of it at Wigan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.