Drinking whiskey in the afternoon

Avoid scotch....like cleaning fluid....get yourself a good Irish Whiskey

Jameson
Jameson Caskmates
Red Breast
Black Bush
Teelings
Love Scotch, there are crap ones, and the good ones range from expensive to friggen arrogantly overpriced.
I like the smokey, peaty, Islay single malt Lagavulin 16 yr old.

Nah. Dutch Gold. Nectar of the God's, that stuff.
everyone likes whiskey.
one day i was fishing a river here in BC. I was using little frogs for bait, the only thing working but i ran out. a little ways away i noticed a rattlesnake with a frog in its mouth.
i grabbed a stick and easily held it behind its head and grabbed it behind the head and picked it up. it opened its yap and the frog fell out but it couldn't get back around to bite me,
but in the mean time it wrapped itself around my arm. there was no way i could unwrap it and let it go without being bitten, so i reached in my vest pocket and pulled out a flask of whiskey and poured a bunch down it's open mouth. it didn't take long for him to pass out and relax, so i put him down and moved up the river.
I was fishing for about a half hour when i felt a little tug on my pant leg.
I looked down and it was the snake with two more frogs!

Currently have a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 opened, amongst others. Great stuff and totally different to the other Islays. Will be buying again for sure.
Laphroaig quarter cask is also tremendous value at the moment on Amazon if you like peated smokey style. Only £28 down from £40. I bought three. If you want a quality malt blend then try a bottle of Shackletons. Currently £22 from £30 on Amazon. Lovely, easy drinking blend. Also, don't dismiss Glen Marnoc Speyside from Aldi at less than £18 a bottle. It has several awards in blind tasting competitions.
Bunnahabhain is on store shelf here, it'll be next, thanks for that review.
i currently have on the shelf:
GlenLivet 12yr old
Aberlour 12 yr old
Glenfiddich "Solera" 15 yr old
Laphroaig 10 yr old
Finlaggan old reserve, a kind of mystery islay single malt i bought cheap in the states that is surprisingly not terrible.
Crown Royal Canadian Rye Whiskey
Tim Smith's Climax moonshine
two of the Scotches were gifts from the boys, good lads them.

Last edited:
As a general rule (for me at least) you start to really notice a difference at 46% and 15 years, unfortunately you also notice a significant difference in price too at that point.

Cask strength, according to a Scottish friend, is only bottled for tourists and no true Scotch aficionado would touch it......... I'm not really qualified to comment

Beautiful whisky. I’m a bit of an Islay fanatic and Bunnahabhain is right up there with Lagavulin distillers edition as the nicest I’ve ever had. I visited Bunnhabhain distillery and it’s really stunning - quite remote and you can see the shore of Jura across the water.
I've never been there but i own a 1 foot square pce of scotland at Laphroaig. after a bottle i went on their site, joined up some promotion and got it. they will even loan me rubber boots, jacket, and a brolly if i want to visit it if it's raining. they even send an email on my birthday every year, along with, of course, a mile of product offers. still, nice of them.

I would appreciate recommendations as a beginner. Ive had, got Bunnahabhain 12, Bowmore 12, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10. Havent treated myself to Lagavulin 16 yet. £50 a bottle is the ceiling for me at the moment. Might spend more in the future though. Ive a few Speysides but after getting the taste for Islay I'm thinking they are goiung to be my favourites.

So many to try though :-)
i also like islay malts, having said that I'v read in a book about scotches that for the person new to scotch that the best place to start at is the Glenmorangie 12 yr old as that is generally considered the middle ground of the flavor of scotch, then refine your taste from there.
sounds logical i guess but who's to say.

For the very first time in the history of the World Whiskies Awards, the World’s Best Single Malt Award has been given to a whiskey made in Ireland. Released by one of Ireland’s most well-known independent whiskey companies, the Teeling 24-Year-Old Vintage Reserve launched alongside the Teeling 33-Year-Old which is said to be the oldest and rarest Irish whiskey ever released. The 24-Year-Old was distilled in 1991 and matured in bourbon and wine casks with only 5,000 bottles ever released, hand-bottled in gorgeous decanters.

This award is expected to be huge for the Irish whiskey industry which has already been on the rise in recent years. Topping, perhaps, the most renowned whisky category in the world and winning over Scotch, Japanese, and other world whiskies is a truly remarkable feat but not surprising given the quality of the expression. Here's to the rise of Irish whiskey!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/george...lds-best-single-malt-comes-from/#26121b7f148e

I am fortunate to work for one of the Speyside distillers, I am currently spending the week in Singapore supporting the significant demand coming from Asia.. Great job, especially the tasting sessions. Better than the taste test at a previous company who produced beans and ketchup..

This thread reminds me of my only ever contact with whisky. I was lucky enough to win a Cityzens competition and had a night with my lad in the Chairman's Club for the Leicester game, the year before they won the league. Anyway, free-bar and all, I'd decided to be sensible and not drink too much as I had work the next morning.

The food and free beer was great and we were really enjoying ourselves. Everything was going well until just before the game started I went and got two drinks while my lad went to the loo. It was a bit cold so I asked for a couple of whiskies to keep us warm. The bar man asked what type of whisky and I didn't have a clue. So he said you can have a run-of-the-mill stuff or something a bit more interesting. I said we'd have the good one. He brought over a bottle and I have no idea what it was but he explained it was a cracker, 30 year old, single malt, whatever that meant! It was also very expensive so it's a good job I wasn't paying!

Anyway, got two doubles, for me and the lad. He was confused when I gave him his drink as he knew that I didn't drink spirits. Had the same at half time and then more after the game. The guy from City who was looking after us must have thought I'd had enough as he offered to give us a lift home. I told him we were fine and would get another drink before heading off to the tram.

Really regretted it the next morning when I couldn't get out of bed and had the first hangover for about 20 years. Had to ring in sick at work. All I could taste was a 'peaty' flavour and I will never have whisky as long as I live.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.