Another ridiculous ruling I discovered today.

Re your first paragraph - times have changed. As already pointed out on here - Manchester Arena families might disagree with you.
I’d rather a little inconvenience than lose my family.

I doubt anyone on this forum has any issues with the increased security checks so I'm not sure what you're going on about there. I also hardly think someone going back to their seat when the stadium is emptying to retrieve something they've left constitutes a serious security risk because 1) If it was, why would the head steward overrule the steward and allow @paulchapo to go back to his seat?, and 2) Why would any potential terrorist wait until a ground is virtually empty to carry out an attack when they've had all match to do it?

This also brings me onto the Arena attack - although these new security checks when entering the stadium are welcome and a sign that the club is doing something, let's not lose sight of the fact that the Arena bomber didn't even have to gain access to the Arena to do what he did. You can have all the security checks in the world upon entering the stadium but what's stopping someone carrying out an Arena-style attack on Ashton Old Road when everyone's piling out of the ground at the end? And the answer to that is nothing whatsoever.

I came from work for Kompany's testimonial and I had my laptop in my bag, something that I've done before. They told me that tablets weren't allowed in. I told them it wasn't. I spent 15 minutes as someone checked with head office. They eventually let me in but told me that I couldn't get it out. I told them I didn't come to the football to do my emails. They were twats about it for the whole time, pretending like I knew the rules etc.
I had the same issue with my tablet the other week.
Sometimes I have to take a small rucksack to the game if I am on nightshift with various things in it for work and a tablet which I use on the train if not sleeping.
My shift pattern is constant nightshift working every second weekend which means every Saturday or Sunday game with a normal kick off time I travel down and back before starting work.
Watford game get the bag checked and for the first time in over ten years they were going to refuse me entry in due to my tablet.
Explained to them how I have never been refused entry before with my tablet and they said okay but do not use it inside.
Yesterday got my bag checked and my tablet was not mentioned but my carriage key which I need for work was about to be taken off me before I entered the ground.
Again I explained on why it is in my bag and then they let me join the queue to enter the stadium.
After the scanner process the lad asked me if I had a ticket,showed him my season card which was in my hand and proceeded through the turnstile.Again a first for me the ticket question.
At no time was the questioning done in a manner in which I found acceptable.

I had the same issue with my tablet the other week.
Sometimes I have to take a small rucksack to the game if I am on nightshift with various things in it for work and a tablet which I use on the train if not sleeping.
My shift pattern is constant nightshift working every second weekend which means every Saturday or Sunday game with a normal kick off time I travel down and back before starting work.
Watford game get the bag checked and for the first time in over ten years they were going to refuse me entry in due to my tablet.
Explained to them how I have never been refused entry before with my tablet and they said okay but do not use it inside.
Yesterday got my bag checked and my tablet was not mentioned but my carriage key which I need for work was about to be taken off me before I entered the ground.
Again I explained on why it is in my bag and then they let me join the queue to enter the stadium.
After the scanner process the lad asked me if I had a ticket,showed him my season card which was in my hand and proceeded through the turnstile.Again a first for me the ticket question.
At no time was the questioning done in a manner in which I found acceptable.

Yeah, I'd taken my laptop in loads of times before. I think the conditions of entry do mention tablets, but only this season and it's a strange one given the way lots of people work nowadays. I could probably live with the rule, but I was spoken to like I'd been caught baggies of heroin. And even worse the nonsense questions that felt almost too obvious to answer: "what's that?" a laptop "why do you have it?" for work "what's it for?" erm...emails? "why are you bringing it to the football?" because I was at work and now I'm here "do you have anywhere you can store it?" no, otherwise I would have stored it. It went on for ages.

I doubt anyone on this forum has any issues with the increased security checks so I'm not sure what you're going on about there. I also hardly think someone going back to their seat when the stadium is emptying to retrieve something they've left constitutes a serious security risk because 1) If it was, why would the head steward overrule the steward and allow @paulchapo to go back to his seat?, and 2) Why would any potential terrorist wait until a ground is virtually empty to carry out an attack when they've had all match to do it?

This also brings me onto the Arena attack - although these new security checks when entering the stadium are welcome and a sign that the club is doing something, let's not lose sight of the fact that the Arena bomber didn't even have to gain access to the Arena to do what he did. You can have all the security checks in the world upon entering the stadium but what's stopping someone carrying out an Arena-style attack on Ashton Old Road when everyone's piling out of the ground at the end? And the answer to that is nothing whatsoever.

As stated in the post the head steward went back with @paulchapo to his seat. It is a fair point why would a terrorist wait until the ground is empty. That though isn't the point. The issue is that security and safety has to have a guideline. You can not and should not make exceptions because the more exceptions you make the more chance there is of an incident happening. Unfortunately that is the world we live in but I would rather the stewards stand and act by the guidelines they have been given than start making exceptions. Common sense is relevant when it comes to security there should be 1 guideline.

Reactions: CC1
Let me put this to you, the Manchester bomber was going into the arena as people were leaving, if someone had stopped him, maybe just maybe less people would’ve died. I realise it’s frustrating but imagine if someone did that at City! I bet your point but maybe just asking first might have helped, sometimes common sense doesn’t come into it, believe me I know I see it at every game.

Any bomber doesn't have to walk back into a fast emptying stadium to cause carnage. He can detonate it amongst the crowds outside, waiting for the bus or tram or worse on an overcrowded tram leaving the stadium where they will inflict worse carnage in a confined space. Any fan who had left something inside the ground could quickly show their ticket or season card to prove they had been at the game. If they were wearing a large rucksack on their back it might present a different problem. In my case I had just walked past the steward and had one foot outside, it was obvious I wasn't going back inside to cause mischief.

We like to think all these searches and measures keep us safe but they don't. They only work when every single passenger goes through a stringent check as when boarding an aircraft. Intelligence is the only thing stopping suicide bombers. At the stadium those scanners won't detect a vest strapped to the body. If anything suspicious was discovered they would just detonate it immediately as they did at the Paris stadium.

The Manchester bomber wasn't inside the stadium I think, he was waiting on the concourse outside amongst families waiting to pick up their kids. If that facility was denied he would have just waited further back amongst the same crowd of people still.waiting for their kids and detonated it there as soon as he thought the moment was right to kill and maim as many as possible.

I came from work for Kompany's testimonial and I had my laptop in my bag, something that I've done before. They told me that tablets weren't allowed in. I told them it wasn't. I spent 15 minutes as someone checked with head office. They eventually let me in but told me that I couldn't get it out. I told them I didn't come to the football to do my emails. They were twats about it for the whole time, pretending like I knew the rules etc.
Maybe they thought you were going to watch the game on an illegal stream?

Here’s something I have never understood. Why do they have bins full of empty drinks bottles outside the ground? Are you not allowed to take drinks into the ground? If so, how do loads of people around me still have flasks of coffee?!

That's another security issue when we get down to it. Anyone could drop an explosive device into one of those bins, no one notices, no searches, nothing. Indeed one person could walk around the whole stadium dropping timed devices into every bin out there all set to go off within minutes of each other, causing absolute carnage everywhere.

That's another security issue when we get down to it. Anyone could drop an explosive device into one of those bins, no one notices, no searches, nothing. Indeed one person could walk around the whole stadium dropping timed devices into every bin out there all set to go off within minutes of each other, causing absolute carnage everywhere.

It is certainly possible but don't underestimate the level of security that goes on around the stadium on match day.

Fuck me when you stood on the kippax and someone let rip it was like a bomb, a fucking smoke bomb

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.