Football Tourism - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

How many people are in the game, as in actually giving their full attention? I used to love the bizz of chanting along, having a laugh, talking crap, saying crap and enjoying those 90mins of pure escapism and emotion. But now... now it is getting watered down. Almost sterile.

Maybe the PL or City could take a leaf from NBA and say something about China? Bye-bye tourism, hello local club for local people. I left the UK in 2014, because I found the mood at work so dim and dull. At football, handing my seasoncard to my Dad was easier because most of the South Stand group that I stood with had relocated or been out-priced from going. The atmosphere at the first two home games this season was poor. Wembley was better. The days away at WHU and Norwich weren't bad, but you can really feel a change over this last 5 years. I think pricing has caused most of the dip.

Also, people have more things to do, and everything is instant. If you'd ask me for one recommendation, it would be to switch Wi-fi off in the stadium... and anyone using their phone oo often should be tutted at by a steward, and the team.

EVERYTHING NOW?

If they pay there money on tickets not taken up, turn up, back the team and enjoy watching city then I don't have a problem.

If they are being prioritized over long term fans (especially for away tickets) not even interseted in the game and more in selfies then I think why bother.

As I said in another thread, there is a seat either sid eme and my dad which have been idle the last two seasons, this year thpugh every game they have been filled with "tourist fans" and why not, no one else was taking them up.

I am more concerned why sites like ticketstub and others still have larhe amoints of match tickets to sell to anyone at stupid prices and why when I cut through city square on sun from the tram there were touts in there selling spares.

If these "tourists" didnt go the seats would be empty

In a lot of cases though those seats aren’t available to most city fans. Lots of seats are kept back for agencies, staff members, companies...... For example row of of about ten tourists I mentioned. The same row only about 3 seasons ago that was full of season ticket holders

In the cases where seats are genuinely empty maybe the club could price tickets better and actually give people a chance to buy them

This "tourist" minds paying premium prices for a home match + airline tickets bought at premium prices because the match time changes for tv + usually overnight accommodation and food. It would be economically more viable to buy a season ticket and attend a few high profile games and leave the seat empty for the others but that's not right either. Not all "tourists" are wealthy, some of us have to budget very carefully just to get to see our favourite club once or twice a season.
I think poster using the "tourist" term to people who dont support City but the ones visiting the but but will then go to a game .I call them welcome visitors

Last edited:
I like to go over and watch the locals staring at the tourists taking selfies with the locals...

Not sure whether it is the tourists or the whole contrived match day atmosphere they try and get you on as soon as you get off the tram but sometimes I feel like i,ve been anesthetized by the time I take my seat.

I'd be hypocritical if I was to say I want rid of it because when I'm abroad, if possible, I go and watch whichever local team happens to be at home that weekend. Having said that there's no reason why the club can't approach it better. They could group these fans together and let the regular match day going fans sit together to create a better atmosphere. It's not that these 'tourist fans' aren't welcome, the problem for me is that they see it as a day out where the result is almost secondary to them getting a good selfie and seeing their favourite player.

This is an issue across most of the top clubs in the league not just at our club. Who'd have thought we'd be having this debate though when Pearce was bringing a teddy to the games.

May help if they 'directed' the tourists to a specific area perhaps NS2.

Could make NS1 a proper family stand by not selling kids tickets elsewhere until its full (the amount of times there's kids in the SS who can't see, I'm never sure if parents are unlucky or idiots.

Anyway, a NS as above would perhaps solve problems for all groups once a few seasoncard holders have been relocated.

Define tourist.

They are interested enough to go to the games.

As I have commented previously, there are probably less casual supporters at league games than ever before, and that goes for the entire Premier League because of the growth in season-ticket holder numbers throughout the Premier League.

When I first got my season ticket, the majority of people paid on the day. Nowadays the vast majority go to all the home league games. Huge change.

Where we do have "tourists" are in the Cup games. Perhaps we notice them now because we're all used to sitting next to the same people game after game. My entire block is season-ticket only. And it was the same in the block I moved from. However, on Cup night I notice a lot of different people.

Perhaps people associate this influx of new faces with the poor atmosphere on Cup nights and hence they blame them but if they didn't show, there'd be empty seats.

There'd be uproar if City did as Man Utd do and force their season-ticket holders to go to the Cup games.

I think it is healthy that when seasoncard holders don't show, that there are lots of casual supporters ready to take their place.

Like I said in one of my previous posts on this thread,several thousand are at league games,I stood outside West Reception around 1pm on Sunday and didn't go into ground till around 1.40pm,I saw loads,and I mean loads,all having photos with the big glass front behind them,Koreans,Chinese,Japanese,guys,guys and girlfriends,99% half and half scarves,kidding yourself if you think it's just cup games I'm afraid,absolutely kidding yourself.

Hard to equate accepting foreign investment on the scale we have and then being picky about foreign 'tourists' attending games. Tourism is already an enormous factor in the UK economy, and that will only grow as more people in Asia and the subcontinent attain the wealth, means, and opportunity to travel. If we remain successful and a draw, then the numbers attracted will probably only increase.

Alright guys, just wanted to add my opinion as a bit of a football tourist.

Me and a mate came to the Etihad for the first time against Dinamo.

I support Guiseley (National League North) and he’s a Wolves fan (boo etc). We have been meaning to come for a while and mainly for a Champions league match due to the fact our own clubs would never get there as well as the fact he would probably find it difficult to support another Premier League club in the league itself.

We chose City for a few reasons. The first being the ease of accessing tickets as well as price. £22.50 for a Champions league game to watch the best team in the world? Yes please. We wanted to experience a Partizan away following too, which it was. I got barged into a few times on the way into the ground too.

We waited for the team to arrive and watched all the razzamatazz surrounding it and I came to the conclusion a lot of it is a spectacle. Then for the match itself. Your team is incredible, I suppose watching non league then watching players like Sterling and Aguero is a massive change, but I never realised until I saw it in person. I would watch a cross go across the goal and think no ones getting that, the defence will just get rid, but Sergio would nip in front and get there first.

All in all it was a great experience. We came, we watched, we supported and got involved as well as spending our money. We bought drinks and spent in the club shop.

Since then I signed up to be a Cityzens member and I’m bringing the Mrs to the Atalanta game. Football is a massive chest pout of loyalty and I will always put the club I support and have supported first, but you’ve gained another fan from over the pennines.

So for any negatives to the football tourism, this has to be a plus?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.