Football Tourism - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

Tourist's are not the problem at city matches. It's the so called City supporters/ season ticket holders. Last into their seats at start of match, first out at 85 mins. Piss and moan most of the match with the abuse rather than cheering team on. Over 50k at home matches. "Real supporters" Season ticket holders make up at least 75% of the capacity, they are the reason atmosphere is shit at matches. If the LOCAL supporters did there bit to support team you wouldn't notice Johnny foreigners taking selfies with half and half scarfs. When I'm watching city play I'm watching the team on the pitch not joe blogs in front or beside me...

Tourist's are not the problem at city matches. It's the so called City supporters/ season ticket holders. Last into their seats at start of match, first out at 85 mins. Piss and moan most of the match with the abuse rather than cheering team on. Over 50k at home matches. "Real supporters" Season ticket holders make up at least 75% of the capacity, they are the reason atmosphere is shit at matches. If the LOCAL supporters did there bit to support team you wouldn't notice Johnny foreigners taking selfies with half and half scarfs. When I'm watching city play I'm watching the team on the pitch not joe blogs in front or beside me...

Totally agree with this post. So called loyal City fans next to us in CB level 1 arrives late, bar 10 minutes before half time late back for second half and last week v Wolves was off once they scored , probably missed a third of the game. I don’t blame the tourists either, if 3,000 Wolves fans and 1,500 Dynamo fans can make the racket they did we should expect much more from the other 40,000-50,000 . It is a struggle these days to get any atmosphere, apart from the big matches. I think City fans have ( recently) just got used to always winning and expect to be entertained. Our demographic is just getting older ( like me), a supporter from The Kippax in the 70s but no real younger fans replacing them. I’d support North stand development, try to get a full wall of fans who want to sing and support , even if that doesn’t work you’ve got another 8,000 new fans inside the ground for most matches. Who cares if they are tourists ( at least they’ll have a goody bag with a new shirt or two to support us balancing the books).

Tourism is good for the city of Manchester, you only have to see the cranes on the skyline to see it's booming. And tourists are good for Manchester City.

However, tourists are not good for us long standing paying supporters as our SC prices and match tickets are increasing year on year. Many have already left the scene, many will be priced out, and many who can still afford it will give up going, disillusioned by VAR, the contrived 'match day experience', the allocation of away tickets, the constant changing of our fixtures to appease Sky and BT etc, loads more reasons why supporters have had enough. I'm at a stage where I'm considering not renewing my SC and just picking odd games I fancy attending.

It doesn't matter to the club how loyal we have been in over two decades of being a shambles both on and off the pitch. If Johnny come lately has more cash to flash, you my friends will become less important to the club in the future, particularly if you can't afford to stump up your hard earned cash to attend(each yearly increase) and spend a small fortune in the souvenir store. Half and half scarves and selfie sticks are becoming more common the more successful we become.

We are flavour of every month we are successful and tourists help take up the spare seats, however many tourists only follow us because of success. The atmosphere is rapidly taking a turn for the worst and getting more sanitised to polite applause over going mental like we used to, partly due to all seater stadia and singing sections divided by away supporters . Plus newbies don't have any natural affinity having turned up (largely) since we started delivering the trophies, so many don't get what we're about nevermind knowing our songs.

We have become a sky blue version of those across town unfortunately, and that is something that doesn't sit easy with me.
I don't know how longer I can stomach paying to watch us in future, especially when we're getting shafted by bent refs and VAR at (seemingly) every opportunity.

Tourism is good for the city of Manchester, you only have to see the cranes on the skyline to see it's booming. And tourists are good for Manchester City.

However, tourists are not good for us long standing paying supporters as our SC prices and match tickets are increasing year on year. Many have already left the scene, many will be priced out, and many who can still afford it will give up going, disillusioned by VAR, the contrived 'match day experience', the allocation of away tickets, the constant changing of our fixtures to appease Sky and BT etc, loads more reasons why supporters have had enough. I'm at a stage where I'm considering not renewing my SC and just picking odd games I fancy attending.

It doesn't matter to the club how loyal we have been in over two decades of being a shambles both on and off the pitch. If Johnny come lately has more cash to flash, you my friends will become less important to the club in the future, particularly if you can't afford to stump up your hard earned cash to attend(each yearly increase) and spend a small fortune in the souvenir store. Half and half scarves and selfie sticks are becoming more common the more successful we become.

We are flavour of every month we are successful and tourists help take up the spare seats, however many tourists only follow us because of success. The atmosphere is rapidly taking a turn for the worst and getting more sanitised to polite applause over going mental like we used to, partly due to all seater stadia and singing sections divided by away supporters . Plus newbies don't have any natural affinity having turned up (largely) since we started delivering the trophies, so many don't get what we're about nevermind knowing our songs.

We have become a sky blue version of those across town unfortunately, and that is something that doesn't sit easy with me.
I don't know how longer I can stomach paying to watch us in future, especially when we're getting shafted by bent refs and VAR at (seemingly) every opportunity.
Manchester City fans don't give up because we're getting shafted by VAR and referees.

The difference between football clubs is in the character of the supporters. That's probably what marked City out to Sheikh Mansour.

No one's asking you to spend a small fortune in the souvenir store. You make the atmosphere and your mates. Nothing to stop you. It's the same crowd. We just get older. And young ones are added to the ranks. You want to set the standards.

FOOTBALL TOURISM.
Is this like the Roaming Gnome kinda thing?
61003988-crate-of-beers-and-a-football-or-soccer-ball-on-the-golden-sand-of-a-tropical-beach-in-sunshine-conc.jpg

My opinion is the other way around. Over the years match-going football fans have become almost exclusively season-ticket in part because it's the only way to economically follow your club.

Used to be the case that you'd queue on the day and pay cash at the turnstile, but over the years as ticket prices went up and up, more and more fans have season tickets. Most grounds now are 80% season ticket plus away fans. That's a fact.

There are casual supporters going to Champions League games. In the case of City, anecdotally I think at least half the crowd if not more are none-seasoncard holders.

This is because of the glamour, and largely because many City fans have dropped out of the CL scheme as a way of cutting back on costs. City fans also know that many of the CL games are dead-rubbers and the CL games only become interesting in the latter stages.
Is it fair to classify fans who go to CL at home and travel away as casual fans? I'm glad they support the team when it is their only chance to go. Loads of these probably live and die like you do but can't make it work to get to every Prem game. I've only seen City play once in the 30+ years of support. I live in British Columbia and traveled to L.A. just to see them play an exhibition game.
The game where Balotelli did the spin-o-rama on a break away and missed and Mancini went nuts. If i could get to more I would.

As far as City owning clubs in different continents, I fail to see what it brings to Manchester City. Is there anything positive it actually brings to us?

And as far as tourists go, I don’t fucking like it at all. Loads of proper fans sat at home watching from their arm chairs up and down the country because tourists have inflated prices of football tickets.

Even though we aren’t the most expensive by any stretch, even seasoncards at City aren’t that good value for money anymore. Level 1 and 3 East Stand, the old Kippax, priced at over £40 per game with a seasoncard. Then individual match ticket prices are ridiculous.

And all the half’n’half scarf, selfie stick, obsessed with videoing any player including the opposition, in the City ends, with United superstore bags in their back packs or Liverpool screen savers on their phone.

They can all fuck right off, for me.

The other day, Wolves striker Raul had clearly got tickets for some Mexican mates in 104 in the East Stand as he came straight over after everyone else had left the pitch, climbed over the advertising boards and had a chat with them.

Why are City giving free tickets to people like this? Yet then selling tickets to actual City fans for £60?

I can’t be doing with shit like this.
You really think City give complementary tickets to away team players in the City ends?

And you really believe it is the tourists that inflate the price of tickets?

Last edited:
It has been happening for donkeys years .It is the way it is managed that can cause problems .I been to Feynoord, Ajax and Barcalona as a "tourist" .Fans from all over the world when in England go to many different grounds. My problem is when we start catering for the "tourist" ahead of local fans .Ie Fans coming from overseas ect dont mind paying a premium for tickets where as many local fans will not pay £55 plus for a run of mill game visitors on holliday will .Should be lower prices all round the ground.There should be no automatic right for people with excess cash to get tickets home or away at the expense of local fans.I dont agree with the terms tourist seems to put them down a bit i just seem them as welcome visitors .But i wouldn't let them in if they got half and half scarves on
This "tourist" minds paying premium prices for a home match + airline tickets bought at premium prices because the match time changes for tv + usually overnight accommodation and food. It would be economically more viable to buy a season ticket and attend a few high profile games and leave the seat empty for the others but that's not right either. Not all "tourists" are wealthy, some of us have to budget very carefully just to get to see our favourite club once or twice a season.

Football is changing in fact it may very well be dying. Big business big money has killed the local feeling of top football clubs, tribalism is irrelevant it's like going to the cinema for many fans it use to be life or death now it's a shrug of the shoulders to most.
For the very first time in 30 years I didn't buy a season ticket this season because I don't think we are a cohesive group of supporters and I 100% don't believe that our club represents us at the minute, waiting for the bubble to burst and for football to get raw again when it was more enjoyable.
Bang on the button
Football will eat itself..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.