Southampton (H) Post-Match Thread

I 'followed' the game on the matchday web text thingy. I guess still abit suspicious !. As sometimes 10 minutes goes by without any fresh text on the game, so jump between matchday thread on here as well.

On the City matchday text, for Citys second it just said 'Walker was there for a simple tap in' having just send the highlights I wouldnt have classed that as a simple tap in ...
Due to work, I also had to follow the game on the matchday thread, some of those posters are really unbelievable. One guy was posting from the game moaning about the atmosphere, maybe if he got off his phone he may well have contributed to getting behind the boys

Pep's explained the amount of crosses; it is deliberate. The quality of the balls in would not always be what he was looking for but it's done because Saints were fairly narrow and deep, filling their box with players. That makes it very hard to play through and of course hard for our players to get on the end of crosses but the space is there to cross. However, what Pep is very much looking for is the second ball, where the opponent stops the cross but doesn't clear it properly, particularly where the ball is fizzed in and then bounces about and the defenders lose their orientation. Basically, it's a case of playing the odds i.e. eventually the ball will break kindly for us (e.g. Walker's goal) or the cross actually finds it's mark (Sergio's goal).

Tactics make sense if the crosses are fizzed in but when they are at head height and the centre halves are much taller than our forwards , they are a waste of time !
Play like that at Anfield and we will get nothing from the game and the media will have a field day going on about how world class VD is !
CTID

So many strange crosses today given our average height. Dzeko would've scored 20 goals.
Our crossing yesterday was continually fucking woeful! I’d bet we put in upwards of 50 crosses yesterday and I don’t think any more than half a dozen were good crosses.

Most of them were just chipped or floated, giving Agüero no fucking chance whatsoever to win them.

We were all at it: Sterling Bernardo Angeliño deBruyne... shyite!

Maybe hitting a load of low crosses would be better? I know there’s a lower success rate in terms of getting the ball past the first defender but once it’s in the centre of the box there’s more chance of picking up the ball off a knee/thigh etc. High balls in that reach a defender usually hit the head meaning the ball then goes well clear of the danger zone and mean further need to cross it back in

I think it's fine to ix it up but I'd definitely go hard and low more often. Too many floaty crosses yesterday.

Tactics make sense if the crosses are fizzed in but when they are at head height and the centre halves are much taller than our forwards , they are a waste of time !
Play like that at Anfield and we will get nothing from the game and the media will have a field day going on about how world class VD is !
CTID

Angelino's cross that led to Walker's goal was high but it had pace and too many crosses lacked pace yesterday.

Our crossing yesterday was continually fucking woeful! I’d bet we put in upwards of 50 crosses yesterday and I don’t think any more than half a dozen were good crosses.

Most of them were just chipped or floated, giving Agüero no fucking chance whatsoever to win them.

Agüero and Stones should have both done better with headed chances a mixture of crosses is fine

Reactions: OB1

Yep shocking and not just yesterday but this season in general I’d like to see a stat for % of crosses whether on the deck or in the air that fail to beat the 1st man. We must be at 95%.

So many lovely moves and brilliant balls to release someone out wide end with the ball tamely hit against the nearest defender.

we don't do as much of the intricate stuff in the box anymore, we did more and more as the game went on and lo and behold get 2 goals. Sterling needs to move back out right so he can run in on the end of crosses like he does at his best, if we're going to focus play down the left then he needs to play opposite side to capitalise on it. It's amazing how one sided we get at times.

We miss Leroy badly. This season there is like 50 situations where Silva plays aerial or land through ball to Sterling , then he do nothing or ball goes to goal out. 2 years in a row Sane making a tap in goals or shots from that situations

we don't do as much of the intricate stuff in the box anymore, we did more and more as the game went on and lo and behold get 2 goals. Sterling needs to move back out right so he can run in on the end of crosses like he does at his best, if we're going to focus play down the left then he needs to play opposite side to capitalise on it. It's amazing how one sided we get at times.

it was like trying to play football on the underground at rush hour both our goals came from crosses

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.