Southampton (H) Post-Match Thread

This is my take on it.

Teams , as they do, have adapted to Pep’s football .We are no longer subjected to the high press and as a result our build up play has had to change too.
I think Pep new this was coming having seen it towards the end of last season and we have changed our play to suit ( Leicester at home). The diagonal ball in behind the full backs as a tactic was previously used sparingly -we could see evidence of this as early as the Community Shield and unfortunately we then lost Sane and Raheem is now our only outlet with real pace.
The other thing that really stands out for me and this one hurts , as others have alluded to we have changed our set up to accommodate David . He is still picking pockets but I’m afraid that is just about it. He makes Sergio look isolated and he is basically relieved of any defensive chores and is playing far too forward for my liking- I’d suspect KDB and Gundogan may somewhat agree . The days of our total midfield dominance seem pretty distant.

Don’t get me wrong, there is not too much wrong but we are struggling to balance this current set up with the players available.
I have little doubt he will persevere and will succeed as that is what great innovators do but at the moment it is a little disjointed and a wee bit frustrating to watch.

Imo a good analysis. Although also in my opinion the frustration is how teams set up, not in our play.
Its Silvas' swansong and slowly he becomes less effective, and believe me it hurts for me to say that.

Baffling to understand this post. Not easy to play against a resolute 11 behind the ball and doubling up on you everytime you get it.
What is baffling to suggest a player who was magnificent last season has dropped off in form? And injuries have not been kind to us who wouldnt feel better going to scouseland with Sane and Laporte and finally how often does Mahrez take the easy way out going across with the ball and not trying to beat his man finally finally would love to see us turn them over on Sunday

Hurts like hell to agree re Merlin

Hurts more than hell. It's hell x100. He's a talisman, he's a wonderful footballer, he's our brother, our son and our friend but there are games when, God forgive me, that his influence becomes less and less effective. Time waits for no man, but Pep must manage El Mago's games, the magicician still has his magic but as Father Time catches up, he needs to rest him at certain times. The legend that lies within will never diminish but the time has come for his heir apparent to be trusted. Stand up Phil Foden, David has laid you a path to follow.

Injuries aside, the biggest loss for me is Kompany, I think his leadership qualities on and off the pitch have hit us hard, we don't really have a leader in the team anymore, city should have tried their best to keep him in at least a coaching role

Haven't been able to watch a rerun of the game so these comments are based on perceptions from the view from 101. I thought Southampton defended well, two lines of 5, at times there 11 were all in their penalty area. You cant fault the teams work rate, it was there for everyone to see. I cant say anyone played particularly badly or particularly well. Obviously Walker will get a lot of plaudits but his cross and goal were not really typical of his all round play. Angelino looked ok but faded a little in the second half. Stones looked like some of his old confidence was coming back. I was a little bit disappointed with our midfield. They never gave up but too slow at times and Kev's radar is not what it can be. Too many crosses but Pep kind of explained what he was looking for (second balls). It didn't work though. We look far more dangerous when we play the ball along the ground. Raz worked so hard. Bernie had a poor game. Kun made his goal look simple. It wasn't. What a legend performing the slowest sub of the day. Loved it. Although he was a long way from 101, Pep looked a little animated during the game :-)
Refereeing was the usual disgrace. Atmosphere was good and noise levels excellent. Next week is very unpredictable as at least Dippers wont defend with eleven men. To win, we need to dominate the ball so we need the best ball retention throughout the team. Eddie, Cancelo, Stones, Fern, Angelino, Gundog, Silva, Kev, Bernie, Raz, Sergio.

Not sure where to post this...long story short was removed from the ground yesterday for being drunk, what's the chances I'll be banned? Worried sick lol

He was as poor as I have ever seen him play.
Simply don't agree with this Bernie knocking and all I can say is that you need to watch the match again. Look at his stats - 89% pass completion, no fouls. The Southampton defensive left side was strong and quick and he battled well in the first half. After the break he switched over to back Jesus and was a key player in terms of energy and possession. He got better as the game wore on and mantained our intensity - he shouldn't have been subbed either - Foden should have replaced Gundogan.

Last edited:
Simply don't agree with this Bernie knocking and all can say is that you need to watch the match again. Look at his stats - 89% pass completion, no fouls. The Southampton defensive left side was strong and quick and he battled well in the first half. After the break he switched over to back Jesus and was a key player in terms of energy and possesson. He got better as the game wore on and mantained our intensity - he shouldn't have been subbed either - Foden should have replaced Gundogan.
Hard work is not enough. i am a huge fan of his. Great player and lovely guy. Probably too much football over the last couple of seasons. He is just lacking end product just now and is slightly off his defensive best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.