Southampton (H) Post-Match Thread

At the end of the day we won the three points, so many of the posters need to wind their necks in.
I thought that it was a very good game yesterday. After Southampton got lucky, they put up a virtual brick wall and it was up to us to keep battering away until finally it cracked.
When we scored the equaliser it was a huge relief and the whole ground went mental. I felt then that we would win.
The crowd was the twelfth man, urging the team on to get that winner.
People on here can niggle and snipe about individual performances, but I didn't see anyone trying less than 100% and doing their best.
Ok, there were a handful of mistakes, but hey.
A great battling performance that and it bodes well for our forthcoming games.
Bring it on!

Pep's explained the amount of crosses; it is deliberate. The quality of the balls in would not always be what he was looking for but it's done because Saints were fairly narrow and deep, filling their box with players. That makes it very hard to play through and of course hard for our players to get on the end of crosses but the space is there to cross. However, what Pep is very much looking for is the second ball, where the opponent stops the cross but doesn't clear it properly, particularly where the ball is fizzed in and then bounces about and the defenders lose their orientation. Basically, it's a case of playing the odds i.e. eventually the ball will break kindly for us (e.g. Walker's goal) or the cross actually finds it's mark (Sergio's goal).
I’d rather get in behind and pull the ball back on the deck, like the first goal, we look unplayable when we do that. In fact when we did do that we started making chances. Playing your wingers on the right sides helps ie Raz on the right and Leroy, when fit, or Mahrez on the left. One of the reasons we were so devastating in the 100 points seasons is because of this tactic and the fact that we passed the ball better than we are doing at the moment. I accept Pep’s explanation but I would rather we didn’t play percentages, it’s all a bit Liverpool style for me.

I’d rather get in behind and pull the ball back on the deck, like the first goal, we look unplayable when we do that. In fact when we did do that we started making chances. Playing your wingers on the right sides helps ie Raz on the right and Leroy, when fit, or Mahrez on the left. One of the reasons we were so devastating in the 100 points seasons is because of this tactic and the fact that we passed the ball better than we are doing at the moment. I accept Pep’s explanation but I would rather we didn’t play percentages, it’s all a bit Liverpool style for me.
Ok, Raz can float between, but Mahrez on the left???

Pep's explained the amount of crosses; it is deliberate. The quality of the balls in would not always be what he was looking for but it's done because Saints were fairly narrow and deep, filling their box with players. That makes it very hard to play through and of course hard for our players to get on the end of crosses but the space is there to cross. However, what Pep is very much looking for is the second ball, where the opponent stops the cross but doesn't clear it properly, particularly where the ball is fizzed in and then bounces about and the defenders lose their orientation. Basically, it's a case of playing the odds i.e. eventually the ball will break kindly for us (e.g. Walker's goal) or the cross actually finds it's mark (Sergio's goal).
Seen a few saying we are attacking differently, but that's because teams are defending differently, when they parked the bus previously we were staying wide and dragging defenders out to create spaces for runners into the box. Saturday was a prime example of defenders not coming out and letting our wide players have it knowing crossing high balls is a problem for us. Other coaches have adapted, we will need to adapt too, Pep will. Did say on the way home on Saturday though to my son I think we are really missing Laportes long swithches from defence into attack that help us turn and stretch teams.

Not sure where to post this...long story short was removed from the ground yesterday for being drunk, what's the chances I'll be banned? Worried sick lol
Deny it and explain that some medication you were on made it look like you were drunk although you weren't

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.