John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit he hasn't showed it that much but his form before his injury against Leicester 17/18 and his first half of the season last year were both phenomenal. He had everything that a world class centre back should have.
I agree he is a good player but his best form appears to come when he is playing alongside the right person. He is not showing the required leadership and organisational skills we badly need at present. He is starting to assume the title of a fair weather performer who is excellent when we are on top but lacks grit when we are under the cosh.

He is not cutting it and given he has not been offered new deal, think he is gone in the summer. Unless his performances drastically improve from now on

Everton got the better deal getting £47m from us, for sure.

Last edited:
He wouldn't get near their starting XI.
Evans is 31, Morgan is 35. Söyüncü is locked in as a permanent fixture, but they are going to need to transition into new centre backs in the near future. Even if he was their 3rd choice, what’s wrong with that? He doesn’t deserve to be anything better than 4th choice for City at the moment. So a fresh start and 3rd choice at Leicester? A team that plays in a style that suits him. Would be good for both of them.

Evans is 31, Morgan is 35. Söyüncü is locked in as a permanent fixture, but they are going to need to transition into new centre backs in the near future. Even if he was their 3rd choice, what’s wrong with that? He doesn’t deserve to be anything better than 4th choice for City at the moment. So a fresh start and 3rd choice at Leicester? A team that plays in a style that suits him. Would be good for both of them.

Evans and Söyüncü will be a fine partnership for a good few years if they stay together, and if Leicester wanted to replace them, they'd buy some randomer, turn them into a 50m player.

He is not cutting it and given he has not been offered new deal, think he is gone in the summer. Unless his performances drastically improve from now on

Everton got the better deal getting £47m from us, for sure.
Doubt he'd be sold, we won't get any good money for him and he's homegrown. We also need to sell and replace Nico first - there's no way we'll go out and buy about 3 CBs, and let's be honest the chances of Garcia actually being utilised are slim to none. Just sell Nico, get a world class partner for Laporte, and call it a day.

Doubt he'd be sold, we won't get any good money for him and he's homegrown. We also need to sell and replace Nico first - there's no way we'll go out and buy about 3 CBs, and let's be honest the chances of Garcia actually being utilised are slim to none. Just sell Nico, get a world class partner for Laporte, and call it a day.
Think he's too good to be our 3rd choice, but beginning to think he won't reach the level I thought he would so won't be Laportes long term partner. I'm starting to think he will go in the summer with Otamendi and we'll bring in one to partner Laporte, maybe with Fernandinho given another year and expect Garcia will step up and after Fernandinho goes Harwood Bellis.

Think he's too good to be our 3rd choice, but beginning to think he won't reach the level I thought he would so won't be Laportes long term partner. I'm starting to think he will go in the summer with Otamendi and we'll bring in one to partner Laporte, maybe with Fernandinho given another year and expect Garcia will step up and after Fernandinho goes Harwood Bellis.
I mean that all would be very nice but I find it a bit unrealistic, especially the stuff about the youth. You're basically saying we should go into the next season with our CBs being Laporte, a new CB, Fernandinho, and Garcia... That's not good enough at all. Our 'third choice' will still get plenty of minutes in all competitions - I don't see the club selling Stones this summer, and I don't see him pushing for a move with the wages he's on. It would look absolutely ridiculous if we shipped out Stones and Nico in one summer. Ideally the hierarchy next season would be: Laporte, New CB, Stones, Fernandinho or Garcia, depending on if Dinho gets a new contact. But even then it looks week cos we'd technically still just have three senior CBs.

Very competent player and seems like a fun personality the lads enjoy having around the dressing room but he doesn't exactly exude the leadership qualities we desperately need at centre back on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.