Rip Bob Willis, another blue gone.

For so long the only English bowler who was genuinely quick and hostile, and someone who seemed to have no qualms about going for the jugular, repeatedly. In an age when you wouldn't half cop it, too, that took some guts (or lunacy).

Just watching some old footage and you appreciate how individual bowlers were back then, long meandering run up, head bobbing up and down, ball hand straight down and behind the body, and chest on delivery. Players now would have such idiosyncracies coached out of them long before they made it anywhere near county cricket. RIP.

The Ashes test at Headingley was a great bowling spell from him. His team mates said he wouldn’t talk to anyone or celebrate wickets, he was like a man possessed.

Terrible news this.

The Ashes test at Headingley was a great bowling spell from him. His team mates said he wouldn’t talk to anyone or celebrate wickets, he was like a man possessed.

Terrible news this.

Remember watching it in stunned disbelief. He was in 'the zone' long before we even knew what that even meant.

Reactions: SVP

Strange that the wicket we all remember, Bright’s middle stump prone, was the only one of the 8 that wasn’t a catch. Seem to recall Willis’ own position being under threat before that spell, so it was a Test that arguably resurrected two great careers.

Rip Bob.
Post test match 81 old Trafford was amazed to see his stride length indented in the grass, I could not even long jump the gap. He really ran in fast

Just a reminder to our older posters, if you are pissing more than usual and when you do piss it trickles out (no motor as my mate with PC says) get to the quacks. It’s a finger up the arse initially, small price to pay as found early it’s one of the easiest cancers to treat.

RIP Bob Willis, those locks flowing as he steamed in to bowl was a sight to remember, he was one of England’s greatest contemporary bowlers.

I am currently in the MRI due to pissing none stop. I am only 40 and have been in 5 days. I thought and hoped it was just an infection but anti biotics are not clearing it up. It's not kidney stones and I am not diabetic. My white blood cell count and renal function count was through the roof, thankfully they have come down now. No idea what it is but it's certainly not nice. Had a load more tests done today. Hopefully get to bottom of it soon.

Sad to hear about Bob. I am too young to remember his exploits on the pitch but have seen the re runs many times over the years. His voice, analysis and commentaries have been an ever present for so many hours over the last 20 years. It's a sad day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.