Spurs (A) Post Match Thread

Amazed. Were we watching the same match? Zin was turning in an impeccable performance until that mistake, which was stupid. That said, it's always very dangerous to try what Mahrez tried, unless you get it absolutely right (which he didn't). Mahrez's poor choice was compounded by Zin's unnecessary one (probably). Until then, Zin's running, tackling, retention of the ball had been beyond reproach.
You want to talk about someone who is bringing nothing to the team at present, and hasn't been for weeks? Raheem Sterling. We can stop right there

I too thought Zinchenko looked pretty good defensively but the poster was correct in that he really offers very little when he gets forward.

I'm sure its already been said but I'm just going to throw my opinion in of where it's gone wrong this season.

1. Liverpool are an absolute juggernaut and despite our dominance for the last two seasons stand to piss all over our records if they finish the season unbeaten. It must be physically draining for the players to know that no matter what they do in the league, Liverpool can't be caught and were out of sight months ago. Slate me all you want but this is the reality

2. We have no leaders on the pitch, Kompany's loss has not just hurt our defence

3. We are passing the ball too much (can't believe I'm saying this) but have slipped into the same thing that hurt Arsenal all those years ago after their invincible season, this is causing us to get caught on the break time and time again because we just keep giving the ball away and teams know how to play against us now. This is why we lost Laporte because of someone needlessly giving the ball away after passing it around for half an hour. It is too slow.

4. We don't have any CBs - at all. Otamendi is so bad that I'm not going to consider him as a defender anymore, Stones' positional play is terrible and so I have always considered him a midfielder because of his passing ability anyway and Laporte is still recovering from injury. Garcia should play all of the remaining games.

5. Rodri has not adapted to the pace of the PL yet and has been at fault for a lot of lost possession, we miss Fernandinho here

6. Gundogan is not a DM, stop playing him as one!

7. When the opportunity arises, no one is putting their laces through the ball and are always looking for another pass and another pass. This is clearly coming from Pep, if anything we have been performing worse since Arteta left which is strange isn't it?

8. We had 30 shots in this game, 10 on target and didn't score any of them. Spurs had 3 shots, 2 on target that both went in. I love the guy to bits but why is no one mentioning Ederson's shot-stopping ability?

9. We are struggling against the same teams every time we meet them, why isn't Pep changing the system? until Laporte is fully fit we should be playing 3 at the back with wing backs pushed further up.

10. Why are we missing so many penalties?

I don't even blame Zinchenko for getting sent off or VAR, we weren't going to win anyway.

I know everyone is saying we shouldn't slate them too much because of our recent dominance but look how far we have fallen already and the season isn't over yet. Are you really going to blame that on Laporte, Kompany and Sane? I feel that something has changed behind the scenes and have been saying it all season and my heart tells me that Pep is leaving in the summer whether he wins the CL or not.

The staggering thing for me is how long it took to decide that it was a foul on Sergio, nearly 2 minutes whilst the game continued, this 2 minutes was included in the time added-on. So, for 2 minutes the game was dead, this is nonsense as any goal scored during that time would have been disallowed, image that! Image also a player being seriously injured for nothing.

Then the incident with Lloris and Raheem, post the penalty save, didn't seem to warrant forensic examination yet, in a a lot of neutrals view it was more of a penalty than the first one Why?

It didnt take that long for them to decide,as it was obviously a penalty, it took that long for them to ADMIT it was a pen.During that delay, our players went through that emotion of being denied that pen, that may well have had a psychological effect, and the next few minutes cost us the game......well done var. The worst thing is that people have said to me that var gave you a pen didnt they??? as if we did not deserve it and it was a gift!!!!!!

I'm sure its already been said but I'm just going to throw my opinion in of where it's gone wrong this season.

1. Liverpool are an absolute juggernaut and despite our dominance for the last two seasons stand to piss all over our records if they finish the season unbeaten. It must be physically draining for the players to know that no matter what they do in the league, Liverpool can't be caught and were out of sight months ago. Slate me all you want but this is the reality

2. We have no leaders on the pitch, Kompany's loss has not just hurt our defence

3. We are passing the ball too much (can't believe I'm saying this) but have slipped into the same thing that hurt Arsenal all those years ago after their invincible season, this is causing us to get caught on the break time and time again because we just keep giving the ball away and teams know how to play against us now. This is why we lost Laporte because of someone needlessly giving the ball away after passing it around for half an hour. It is too slow.

4. We don't have any CBs - at all. Otamendi is so bad that I'm not going to consider him as a defender anymore, Stones' positional play is terrible and so I have always considered him a midfielder because of his passing ability anyway and Laporte is still recovering from injury. Garcia should play all of the remaining games.

5. Rodri has not adapted to the pace of the PL yet and has been at fault for a lot of lost possession, we miss Fernandinho here

7. When the opportunity arises, no one is putting their laces through the ball and are always looking for another pass and another pass. This is clearly coming from Pep, if anything we have been performing worse since Arteta left which is strange isn't it?

8. We had 30 shots in this game, 10 on target and didn't score any of them. Spurs had 3 shots, 2 on target that both went in. I love the guy to bits but why is no one mentioning Ederson's shot-stopping ability?

9. We are struggling against the same teams every time we meet them, why isn't Pep changing the system? until Laporte is fully fit we should be playing 3 at the back with wing backs pushed further up.

I don't even blame Zinchenko for getting sent off or VAR, we weren't going to win anyway.

I know everyone is saying we shouldn't slate them too much because of our recent dominance but look how far we have fallen already and the season isn't over yet. Are you really going to blame that on Laporte, Kompany and Sane? I feel that something has changed behind the scenes and have been saying it all season and my heart tells me that Pep is leaving in the summer whether he wins the CL or not.

Lot's of good stuff here. I think I mentioned Ederson having let in some really soft goals in the season, particularly from the sorts of positions we conceded from yesterday, and got slated for it. Generally, our passing is slower, our press is slower, and we don't know our best 11 or formation.

The biggest elephant in the room, IMHO, that nobody is really talking about is CORNERS. We are useless at them, absolutely useless, and it's a bit confusing as we haven't been THIS bad in the last couple of seasons. I understand we're a small team, but so was the Barca team where Pique used to get his head on every corner. Something needs to be done, urgently.

Been thinking the same thing about Ederson and our pressing is pretty poor too this season

Lot's of good stuff here. I think I mentioned Ederson having let in some really soft goals in the season, particularly from the sorts of positions we conceded from yesterday, and got slated for it. Generally, our passing is slower, our press is slower, and we don't know our best 11 or formation.

The best 11 is a strange one as although rotation is important I feel that you should only rotate when a player's performance drops. If Jesus scores a hattrick in one game he should not be dropped for the next game for example, no matter what. If a player knows that their performance won't make any difference it's difficult to keep them motivated and it could be my imagination but rotation seems heavy this year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.