COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree. Just saying that people never seem to be that bothered about these things, as what’s going on tomorrow or in the next half an hour seems more important because we’re all so busy and have so many responsibilities.

It’ll only be when it happens to someone we know that it’ll hit home.
Completely agree.

It is unlikely that a high-efficacy vaccine will be available in 2 months, mate. I think you may be thinking of when a few biomed companies, including one China-based biomed company, have said they were looking to start trials.

These are fairly good write-ups about vaccine development efforts and timelines, including possible issues that can arise with them.

Why we shouldn't pin our hopes on a coronavirus vaccine

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-vaccine-china

How Close Are We to a Coronavirus Vaccine?
https://slate.com/technology/2020/02/coronavirus-vaccine-possibility-sars-wuhan-research.html

Not pinning hopes on anything when your time is up It up!

You probably right about vaccine I watched a program that said they had a vaccine that going it be tested and when it usually takes up to 9 to 12 months in the past with the new technology now they got it to trials in 2 weeks.

Oh I agree. Just saying that people never seem to be that bothered about these things, as what’s going on tomorrow or in the next half an hour seems more important because we’re all so busy and have so many responsibilities.

It’ll only be when it happens to someone we know that it’ll hit home.
Most people don’t give a shit about climate change or species extinction which are infinitely bigger threats.

Most people are wired towards assessing the immediate and using heuristics as a method for decision making. Planning for something that they cannot see or has not previously happened is beyond them,

Most people don’t give a shit about climate change or species extinction which are infinitely bigger threats.

Most people are wired towards assessing the immediate and using heuristics as a method for decision making. Planning for something that they cannot see or has not previously happened is beyond them,
Very true. That’s mostly due to our brains still being tuned to relatively short nomadic lives, which placed a premium on short-term risk assessment and mitigation. For the vast majority of our existence as a species we did not have to plan beyond a 20-40 year timeframe (our lifespan) or for most issues we now encounter in “civilised” life, and even then the vast majority of effort was applied to daily planning. This means it is quite literally difficult for us to value long-term planning, much less effectively do it, even with societal planning tools like cultural memory, writing, and forecasting that we have developed.

These types of “natural” viral outbreaks are unfortunately fairly good examples of those still present limitations, even despite our quite amazing advancements in science, engineering, communications, and public management which allow us to combat them.

This sort of thing is absolutely deplorable and serves as just another example of the horrible instances of subtle (or not-so-subtle) discrimination and abuse of innocent people of Asian heritage in the UK and elsewhere based on ignorant (or in some cases outright racist) reactions to the coronavirus outbreak.

This sort of thing is absolutely deplorable and serves as just another example of the horrible instances of subtle (or not-so-subtle) discrimination and abuse of innocent people of Asian heritage in the UK and elsewhere based on ignorant (or in some cases outright racist) reactions to the coronavirus outbreak.

I won’t click on the Guardian - what did he do?

I won’t click on the Guardian - what did he do?
“Dele Alli has apologised for a video posted on his Snapchat account in which the Tottenham and England midfielder appeared to mock an Asian man and joke about the coronavirus outbreak.

Alli, who has been on holiday during his club’s winter break, posted the video of him wearing a face mask in an airport departure lounge on Saturday with the message: “Corona whattt, please listen with volume.” The 23-year-old then zooms the camera towards an unsuspecting man of Asian appearance before panning to a bottle of antiseptic hand wash captioned: “This virus gunna have to be quicker than that to catch me.””

“Dele Alli has apologised for a video posted on his Snapchat account in which the Tottenham and England midfielder appeared to mock an Asian man and joke about the coronavirus outbreak.

Alli, who has been on holiday during his club’s winter break, posted the video of him wearing a face mask in an airport departure lounge on Saturday with the message: “Corona whattt, please listen with volume.” The 23-year-old then zooms the camera towards an unsuspecting man of Asian appearance before panning to a bottle of antiseptic hand wash captioned: “This virus gunna have to be quicker than that to catch me.””

Alli is a fucking obnoxious chav.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.