West Ham match postponed - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes that summation was a little odd. City made the wrong call but for the right reasons. I do agree with SB though that most of the comments were fine. I read through most last night. A mixture of jokes, insults and the odd really nice comment. Mostly good fun and people making the best of a disappointing day.
I don't think he was being entirely serious tbh.

lol - over to @Marvin for confirmation of that assessment of his conclusion
yes that summation was a little odd. City made the wrong call but for the right reasons. I do agree with SB though that most of the comments were fine. I read through most last night. A mixture of jokes, insults and the odd really nice comment. Mostly good fun and people making the best of a disappointing day.
I don't think he was being entirely serious tbh.
How did you know, Ric? ;-)

The only way to deem it safe to travel was to listen to the authorities who said it wasn't. The storm, whilst short and not very strong, was extremely widespread causing difficulties all around Manchester and the country. I'm sure the emergency services would have wanted congestion, road fatalities/injuries and stranded members of the public on top of everything else. Yes the game could have gone ahead but would have had to have been behind closed doors.

Comparing it to the Sheff U game is not quite the same. The opposition fans would have been much closer to the ground when the storm was due to hit (later in the day in Sheffield) plus they had some flexibility in delaying KO, not the same with ours, and traveling fans had more time to get back home.

Right decision was made.
The Met Office should place more confidence in their own forecasts and provide football clubs and transport companies with more precise data. Their forecasts were absoitely on the money. I posted them at 10 am, and they forecast the weather would pass at midday and improve thereafter and it was 100% spot on. The yellow and amber warnings persisted thereafter though and were irrelevant but they create a problem for safety officers who have to be mindful of a litigious public. We have become a risk averse society despite better and better information and it is somewhat contradictory. We should be able to make better and better decisions.

Understandable. The Met office data and forecasts were very precise and accurate whilst the warnings were imprecise time-wise. They should look to tighten them for future so that sporting organisations like City can make better informed decisions. The bad weather passed with the storm front over Manchester at midday and that is now a matter of record.
But not relevant

Marvin was right - it was a poor decision made in light of the information the club had, no two ways about it. We've now clogged up our fixture list more for the cup runs, and potentially robbed Laporte of getting game time before RM.

The Met Office should place more confidence in their own forecasts and provide football clubs and transport companies with more precise data. Their forecasts were absoitely on the money. I posted them at 10 am, and they forecast the weather would pass at midday and improve thereafter and it was 100% spot on. The yellow and amber warnings persisted thereafter though and were irrelevant but they create a problem for safety officers who have to be mindful of a litigious public. We have become a risk averse society despite better and better information and it is somewhat contradictory. We should be able to make better and better decisions.
I quite agree and it was clear from the forecast that the worst of the storm was going to be mid morning to early afternoon.

You may see it as risk-averse but I would counter with what is the game without the fans? Do we not get considered in the scheme of things? The transport network was unable to cope and were asking passengers not to travel and roads were flooded or blocked by fallen trees before the game in many local places. If the game had proceeded it would have been in front of 20000 maximum, do the club say "Fuck You" to those that couldn't attend or do they get a refund?

Deaths at football grounds were quite common place in olden days due to lack of care by football clubs, not just Hillsborough, Ibrox or Burnden Park, there's countless examples. Today there isn't. I personally call that "progress".

PS Don't ignore the stupidity* of some people, also, like that surfer who had to be rescued from the sea yesterday.

*Or lack of awareness of danger.

Back onto real life as we're going round in circles, but surely the West Ham match should be rearranged for Tuesday or Wednesday of next week? The City players are due back in on Saturday

Back onto real life as we're going round in circles, but surely the West Ham match should be rearranged for Tuesday or Wednesday of next week? The City players are due back in on Saturday

Is this weekend completely ruled out? The players have had their rest now and makes sense for people travel wise. Saturday 3pm would be great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.