The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

I had the feeling it had all settled down a bit today. Tesco empty earlier with full shelves bar 2/3 items
Asda near me the same. Barely any people in it and shelves/fridges were full enough for me to stock up with what I need for a week or so. Feel better now, I had next fuck all this morning but Im set now

Ive been storing reserves for a while. As i see it the bulk buying isn't nessecarily a bad thing when done by ordinary people, it's more of an issue when done by low key speculators. However, whoever got fooled by the idea that "there was plenty of stocks for everyone" probably doesn't understand modern economics too well. Stocks cost money, it's not interresting for companies to keep more stock than they need and in modern times thats not much. Take in mind though that most companies can increase production above their normal utilisation and that they typically would do so if their stocks started to sell faster. So, hoarders can actually be good in such a crisis in that (in a sort of way) they offer more storage capacity to an economy that can produce more and typically enough to certaintly feed the poppulation.Its kinda good to hoard in advance before many factory's need to close to contain the spread.

Hoever borders get closed, certain country's are in quarantine and lockdown, many industry's are getting offline around the world and that hurts the food processing industry. What this should do is to create shortage's of more luxurious or scarce items in the market as more non essential companies get offline and so for example food that stores long term and is packaged trough food processing can get more scarce especially if it's more a luxury food item like say chips, candy, cakes, etc. What youre far less likely to get a shortage of is things like fresh meat,dairy products, bread, rice, corn, etc. The diet is going to get more basic if this takes a fair amount of time (which i think it will) but people shouldn't starve.

Speculators however, they will look at the market, take a calculated guess what sort of goods are going to be scarce soon and still high in demand withought say much of a subtitute good. Personally i'm surprised there are still so many cigarette's on the market, i'd expect those to be bought up in volume soon to be sold on the black market, addictions need to be served and i wouldn't be surprised if some govs banned the sale of cigarette's for a few months.

I finally lost it today. I was stood in the (very long) queue at Morrisons earlier, the woman in front of me kept turning her head and looking back over her shoulder. After a few minutes she turned to me and said "for God's sake can you move a back a bit please, have you not heard of social distancing"

I snapped back, "yeh I've heard of it love but do you really think it makes a difference in this fucking zoo, you worry about your bog roll and eggs and fucking leave me alone"

Got some disapproving looks off people but it shut her up the fat, moaning troglodyte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilko toilet rolls were all that was available today and priced @£3.50 for a pack of 18 but obviously not as firm as Andrex. If my digits poke through I shall write a strong letter of complaint to management as this happened once when we bought a pack of "my mums" in the 80's even though I washed my fingers I could smell oh de crud for hours after. If we were not in an emergency situation I would never buy shit loo rolls as it's just false economy.

The shelves haven't been empty in my immediate area, thankfully people don't seem to be panic buying in the particular Aldi I shop at. There was even bog roll today.

The thing that annoyed me - the elderly were wandering around, not observing social distancing, and they have been given designated hours to shop yet were still wandering around outside those hours. What is the point of taking all these fucking precautions when the most vulnerable still come out and take risks?

Wilko toilet rolls were all that was available today and priced @£3.50 for a pack of 18 but obviously not as firm as Andrex. If my digits poke through I shall write a strong letter of complaint to management as this happened once when we bought a pack of "my mums" in the 80's even though I washed my fingers I could smell oh de crud for hours after. If we were not in an emergency situation I would never buy shit loo rolls as it's just false economy.

latest scientific advise is that shit kills the virus and if in the event your fingers have gone through, not to wash them.

It also goes on to say dont eat anything with your fingers for a while.

Just to let you all know, stupidity is not confined to the UK. Our daughter and family live in NZ and they are all at it as well.

I finally lost it today. I was stood in the (very long) queue at Morrisons earlier, the woman in front of me kept turning her head and looking back over her shoulder. After a few minutes she turned to me and said "for God's sake can you move a back a bit please, have you not heard of social distancing"

I snapped back, "yeh I've heard of it love but do you really think it makes a difference in this fucking zoo, you worry about your bog roll and eggs and fucking leave me alone"

Got some disapproving looks off people but it shut her up the fat, moaning troglodyte.

very socially responsible of you.
Plank.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.