COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of the public sector are still working and on 100%. Some people being redeployed to brand new jobs on a temporary basis in a response to the crisis. I thought most teachers were working with smaller classes to key workers could work?

My daughters school has between 1 and 5 pupils per day in and therefore only skeleton staff so assume most not working. But they probably have to plan how to catch up after this is all finished. Maybe a shortened summer holiday period or longer school days for a period? Or just let it catch up naturally?

Isn’t the 80% the Govt pay net? Therefore it should be more or less the same as the net pay those workers receive through PAYE anyway?
I've thought about that myself. I would imagine it's gross and subject to tax and NI etc. Which on the face of it would seem completely ridiculous - giving you money only to take it off you again. But if we did not do that then it would need big changes to the PAYE systems and even more disruption for all of the businesses... and the HMRC. So for expediency, easiest just to lob each company a lump of money and let them pay their employees as normal... up to 80% with a £2.5k cap.

I don't know this to be the case, but it would make sense.

The rest of the public sector are still working and on 100%. Some people being redeployed to brand new jobs on a temporary basis in a response to the crisis. I thought most teachers were working with smaller classes to key workers could work?

At my daughter's school they are still working, though obviously not in the classroom (except those teaching children of key workers). They are setting the students tasks for the week and then marking them. They won't be doing the same number of hours but are still putting in a good few hours.

The tax payer will pay regardless. Giving away 20% of the country’s GDP isn’t for nothing.

Rebated or not, tax is going up when this is all done.

The government scheme isn't a wage covering scheme, it's a job retention scheme.

Taxpayers have to pay because it's a huge crisis. Companies don't have millions or billions sat around to burn away whilst employees are doing nothing.

In my company I'm okay because I can work from home and remain somewhat productive but I wouldn't bet on anyones job safety if this lasts over 6 months.

There will be lasting damage but I personally think the boom afterwards will more than pay for it.

At my daughter's school they are still working, though obviously not in the classroom (except those teaching children of key workers). They are setting the students tasks for the week and then marking them. They won't be doing the same number of hours but are still putting in a good few hours.
Talking to a teaching assistant today they 6 kids in the school and 4 teachers, I think they need to just get one big school and put them all in there. We are trying home schooling as best as possible but when they go back all the kids will be at hugely different levels, she said they may well have to redo this year as kids will not be prepared for the next level, going to be a nightmare to solve.

Thanks

That was my impression.

I’ll not name the 2 companies who have chosen this route, but if you look across the hospitality and hotel sector there are 3 main companies who occupy market share.

1 has decided to top up, the other 2 have said fuck you your are temp laid off and the government will pay you.

Some sectors of industry across the UK are coming out of this with a real shit stain.

Process and money before people.
Snappy slogan but do you understand how commerce works?

What if they can’t otherwise survive because revenue is decimated and/or cash flow bolloxed? Would you prefer them to fold? Then what happens to your precious jobs?

Some people lump every company together as evil, exploitative organisations when in actual fact they range across the spectrum.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been posted already, but this is at a hospital in New York.

Harrowing, but brings it home for people that don't know what's happening in epicentre problems.

if it doesn't play the vid, use a VPN.

You have to feel for them, they are about to be hit by a tidal wave, as is the rest of the country and they have a sociopathic **** leading them into destruction....

My daughters school has between 1 and 5 pupils per day in and therefore only skeleton staff so assume most not working. But they probably have to plan how to catch up after this is all finished. Maybe a shortened summer holiday period or longer school days for a period? Or just let it catch up naturally?

In the 1970s with the strikes some kids started in September and others in the same academic year in April for reception class /year 1. Seemed like a big disadvantage for those younger in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.