Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saccharine, no.

Just the other point of view. And one that is more informed than most, I hope.

It's so easy to read sensationalist articles with shit stirring, deliberately misleading headlines and give no thought to the actual complexities of the subject matter. I'm not saying that Spurs' decision and action was necessarily correct. I'm just saying that it isn't nearly as black and white as so many are making it out to be.

Sadly, we live in a social media world where people are ready to work themselves into a frothing rage at the drop of the hat without either facts or understanding to back them up. Twitter is poison. I won't go near it.

By the way, Bournemouth are the latest club to have announced that they are furloughing non playing staff.
Are you seriously comparing Bournemouth to Spurs?

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure that there will be an agreement with players sooner or later. Even the PFA must realise that it will reflect very badly on them and their members if they fail to take a significant pay cut.
All clubs are run differently though it's difficult to see how anything can be imposed. At wolves the non playing staff are all being paid, so the players don't need to contribute, the players individually are donating ventilators and much needed medical supplies to hospitals instead, which may not happen if they took pay cuts.

Are you seriously comparing Bournemouth to Spurs?

Who said anything about comparisons?! In my original post on the matter, I predicted that most football clubs would follow Newcastle and Spurs eventually. Since when, Norwich and Bournemouth have indeed done so. They won’t be the last. That was my point. Not comparison.

But if you were to insist on a comparison, it would make no sense to do so on the basis of “size” or turnover - which is what, I think, you are doing. For the simple reason that clubs can no longer generate much by way of turnover for the foreseeable future. But they do still have costs. And Spurs have far, far higher costs to meet than Bournemouth.

To put it another way, cash flow is the key metric here. Not turnover. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, but cash flow is reality.

Incidentally, the Bournemouth owner is worth a cool £900m but I haven’t seen any outraged calls in the media (or social media) for him to fork out his own money for Bournemouth’s staff. Double standards.

Last edited:
All clubs are run differently though it's difficult to see how anything can be imposed. At wolves the non playing staff are all being paid, so the players don't need to contribute, the players individually are donating ventilators and much needed medical supplies to hospitals instead, which may not happen if they took pay cuts.

Sure, donating a ventilator to a hospital is a great gesture. But it’s worth considering that the cost of a ventilator probably represents no more than three or four days’ pay for the average Premier League footballer. And no matter how good the gesture, it does nothing to help the players’ employers who are faced with continuing huge costs and a near collapse in revenues.

I don’t think that a player salary cut will be imposed. It will be agreed. So differences in player contracts shouldn’t be an obstacle.

Who said anything about comparisons?! In my original post on the matter, I predicted that most football clubs would follow Newcastle and Spurs eventually. Since when, Norwich and Bournemouth have indeed done so. They won’t be the last. That was my point. Not comparison.

But if you were to insist on a comparison, it would make no sense to do so on the basis of “size” or turnover - which is what, I think, you are doing. For the simple reason that clubs can no longer generate much by way of turnover for the foreseeable future. But they do still have costs. And Spurs have far, far higher costs to meet than Bournemouth.

To put it another way, cash flow is the key metric here. Not turnover. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, but cash flow is reality.

Incidentally, the Bournemouth owner is worth a cool £900m but I haven’t seen any outraged calls in the media (or social media) for him to fork out his own money for Bournemouth’s staff. Double standards.
Agreed. Double standards. But, like it or not, Spurs are a "big club", Bournemouth aren't. And, consequently, you are judged differently. Get used to it.

They’ve asked staff to take pay cuts, but not the players. Laughable

All players should have reduced wages now

Correction: They have TOLD the staff they will have a 20% pay cut. The snidey bastards will then get the british tax payer to pay the rest of their wages.

Agreed. Double standards. But, like it or not, Spurs are a "big club", Bournemouth aren't. And, consequently, you are judged differently. Get used to it.

I’m very well used to it. No harm pointing it out, though.

Correction: They have TOLD the staff they will have a 20% pay cut. The snidey bastards will then get the british tax payer to pay the rest of their wages.

What’s “snidey” about it?

Are British Airways, a company with a £13 billion turnover, “snidey” for furloughing possibly as many as 36,000 staff? Rather puts it into perspective in terms of cost to the taxpayer.

What’s “snidey” about it?

Are British Airways, a company with a £13 billion turnover, “snidey” for furloughing possibly as many as 36,000 staff? Rather puts it into perspective in terms of cost to the taxpayer.

For a start, this is the Spurs thread not the British Airways thread. Second. I am sure they could afford the other 20% to top up what me and the rest of the taxpayers of this country are paying your staff but the main point is Spurs could afford to pay the behind the scenes people their full wage if they wanted to. As a taxpayer I object to Spurs, British Airways, Branson and any other mega rich club/person taking MY money whilst they swan about in luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.