Car Detailing.

Thanks for the assistance. Here is a picture as near as I can recreate for now. Her car in direct sunlight is no where near as bad as this but the effect is similar. I just read is could be a buffer hologram cause by incorrect use of a buffer no less. I was under the impression a buffer restored paint work not turned it into the hall of mirrors.

UqCANh8.jpg

A file picture recreating buffer holograms ?

If it's like that(same effect just not a much) it will need a machine polish to get out.

I wouldn't trust it to anyone who hasn't had experience.

Even if you had an idiot proof buffer it can still go wrong if you use the wrong head/paste/polish.

I would also say it's nothing you have done. It's sanding marks from the factory that they haven't polished out. Not all cars go through rigorous paint control and with black it just shows up more. If the car was white for example you would never see this even in the sun.

It's not down to the cost of the car either. I have worked on cars worth over £3m that have had similar issues direct from the factory. Many detailers will do a paint correction finish to cars before they have even left the showroom to be delivered to customers. It is not an uncommon issue.

4wuzFr6_d.webp

Just looked through my camera roll to see if I had an example and this is the front of an 812 Ferrari superfast that I picked up straight off the truck (delivery mileage)

Last edited:
Not had that done myself but it's something I'm looking into.
From seeing on YouTube etc it appears that when applied properly (on top of 100% clean and contaminant free paintwork) a ceramic coating is a godsend. It's a bit like wax x1000.

It puts a micro thin layer of ceramic on top of the clear coat which lasts for years and is really hydrophobic so water and dirt 'sit on top of' the bodywork and are really easily rinsed away.

What's putting me off is it seals in whatever is on the paintwork so I'd need to do a full body decontamination , then polish which to do properly would take hours and truth is I can't be bothered.

What I would say though is I'll have it on my next car straight after I've bought it.

Check out YouTube there are some really great channels on there dedicated to this stuff. If you're anything like me though, you'll lose hours just watching them.

If you've got it on you're all set. When you wash I bet it looks gleaming. One tip though, never ever wash with a sponge. Ever. They trap dirt and grot which you could easily transfer back to your paintwork and scratch the coating. Use a microfibre mitt or preferably a lambawool mitt.
I have a microfibre mitt mate, use it on the bikes, but thanks for the tip.
I've already started watching that channel you recommended lol. Thanks for that, that's my viewing sorted for next week.
I must admit the car does come up lovely with minimal effort, the water even beads off when I'm rinsing it, which just seems bloody strange considering I've never waxed it. I expected the effect to "wear off" after a few washes but it hasn't so far so there must be something good going on. I was sceptical at first as you would imagine

With ceramic coatings.

Watch out there is snake oil about.
Its tricky as fuck to apply.
If you get it wrong it will look horrendous.
It takes a full heavy machine polish to rectify. £££

I have a microfibre mitt mate, use it on the bikes, but thanks for the tip.
I've already started watching that channel you recommended lol. Thanks for that, that's my viewing sorted for next week.
I must admit the car does come up lovely with minimal effort, the water even beads off when I'm rinsing it, which just seems bloody strange considering I've never waxed it. I expected the effect to "wear off" after a few washes but it hasn't so far so there must be something good going on. I was sceptical at first as you would imagine

A ceramic coating should last for 2-5 years before wearing out, if applied correctly.

The post directly below yours is also correct. If not done properly they are the devil's own job to rectify, hence why I've been holding off on it.
Sounds like yours is good though so nothing to worry about.
The big thing is that you don't ever really have to worry about waxing for a while at least as your ceramic gives you all the protection you need.

Just a prewash, rinse, wash, rinse, dry and quick detailing spray. About an hour or so and tour car will come up like new every time.
Jobs a good in

As others have said, it's a bit of a slog but well worth it.

- spray body work with a tar removing spray and rinse off.
- then spray with an iron remover and rinse off.
- wash car as normal with good car shampoo.
- clay paintwork all over the car. Use straight strokes, up/down not too much pressure.
- rinse again.
- dry car thoroughly with a good drying towel.
- using a DA polisher, and something like meguiars medium compound, go over the whole car, one panel at a time. Use the cross hatch method (left to right, then up to down). When the body work hazes use a good quality , plush microfibre towel to buff off.
- by now it should be miles better but to finish off nicely, apply a good wax. Paste is brilliant but a bit of a pain to apply. Or use a decent liquid wax. I use meguiars ultimate wax. You can apply this with a DA polisher as well if you don't want to do it by hand.
- a few hours later go over the bodywork with a good quick detailer (autoglym do a nice one, or meguiars maybe). This will really lift even more gloss out of the paintowrk for a showroom finish.

This is a big process but only needs doing twice a year. In between times you can just wash with the 2 bucket method and also use an aqua wax to keep the wax levels topped up.

I also use autoglym polar series for my weekly wash. Snow foam, snow shampoo and snow sealant. All applied via foam cannon. Quick, easy and effective.

Good luck.

Excellent piece Kazzy so I went onto you-tube and found this called a day in the bay with a detailer. ..

Also I think I know what the ghosting is and believe it to be buffer trail from an inexperienced operative using an orbital polisher incorrectly and at an angle instead of flat on. I will buy a good quality DA and extension lead, some detailer claybar and some ultimate compound and polish and some canuba wax and hopefully job done. I may be wrong but reading the posts on here it looks like the two pack clear coat is in need of urgent attention.
As mentioned I will take pics of defect tommorow if the sun is out. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Excellent piece Kazzy so I went onto you-tube and found this called a day in the bay with a detailer. ..

Also I think I know what the ghosting is and believe it to be buffer trail from an inexperienced operative using an orbital polisher incorrectly and at an angle instead of flat on. I will buy a good quality DA and extension lead, some detailer claybar and some ultimate compound and polish and some canuba wax and hopefully job done. I may be wrong but reading the posts on here it looks like the two pack clear coat is in need of urgent attention.
As mentioned I will take pics of defect tommorow if the sun is out. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Good luck mate. It'll be a long job but once you get started it is really therapeutic and relaxing I find.
And when it's done and your car is gleaming and blemish free you can stand back and think "I did that". It's a great feeling. I love it. I actually get a bit pissed off that I'm not driving much in lockdown cos my car is staying too clean so I can't clean it as much.

Good luck mate. It'll be a long job but once you get started it is really therapeutic and relaxing I find.
And when it's done and your car is gleaming and blemish free you can stand back and think "I did that". It's a great feeling. I love it. I actually get a bit pissed off that I'm not driving much in lockdown cos my car is staying too clean so I can't clean it as much.

The therapeutically relaxing bit will come when my daughter drives it away into the sunset.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.