How good was Maradona?

His goal against Belgium at the World Cup was absolutely breathtaking .(Dont know how to put it on here).
His goal against England in the previous World Cup was equally or more brilliant.
He is one of the players that supporters of any team would pay hard earned money to watch.
I've watched lots of Maradona games on TV and YouTube etc and he still amazes me over 30 years later.
I've watched the best of the current crop play against us in Champions League at Etihad and often wondered how he would fare today, especially with the protection of modern referees.
Sadly I never got to see him live.
Greatest footballer ever.

His goal against Belgium at the World Cup was absolutely breathtaking .(Dont know how to put it on here).
His goal against England in the previous World Cup was equally or more brilliant.
He is one of the players that supporters of any team would pay hard earned money to watch.
I've watched lots of Maradona games on TV and YouTube etc and he still amazes me over 30 years later.
I've watched the best of the current crop play against us in Champions League at Etihad and often wondered how he would fare today, especially with the protection of modern referees.

Were they not at the same World Cup?

I got to see him play in the flesh,once.
Was just after the 86 world cup at wembley.
It was a football league v the rest of the world.
Biggest cheer that day was when he hand balled it and the ref blew up.
Many,many players have tried to fool the ref over the years....its just that he got away with it that its talked about so much.
Like you,for me....the greatest player ever.

Phenomenal footballer, deeply flawed as a person. Won the world cup for Argentina and 2 league titles for Napoli virtually on his own while being off his head and getting involved with the mafia.

He played at a time when pitches were shit and defenders were lining up to kick 7 shades of shit out of him.

If he was playing now in his prime and without the drug use he would score 50 goals plus every season. He was that good.

What I remember most about him was in Italia 90 when Argentina played Brazil. Down to 10 men he picked the ball up around the half way line, rode about 5 Brazilian tackles then off balance played the perfect though ball to Caniggia who rounded the keeper and scored the winner. Absolute genius.

Just found the clip

Messi played in a team that had players like ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o, henry, David villa, xavi, inesta, neymar, Suarez etc always surrounded by best players of the time. Not trying to discredit his brilliance but surly helps. Not many of the best players surrounded maradona but he brought the best out of above average team around him. Messi not done as well playing for Argentina.

Messi played in a team that had players like ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o, henry, David villa, xavi, inesta, neymar, Suarez etc always surrounded by best players of the time. Not trying to discredit his brilliance but surly helps. Not many of the best players surrounded maradona but he brought the best out of above average team around him. Messi not done as well playing for Argentina.
Nor the Portuguese Ronaldo.
Both are great players but there is a huge question mark at international level for both.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.