Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Brilliant. Where most read the current situation as no return for football, you find a needle.

I have no issues with these thoughts, I have them myself as I try to work out how football could restart in the current climate, but to actively promote the return at this time, after tonight’s message, strikes that you have a financial investment in your thoughts.

Each to their own.
Football is more likely to be scuppered from within by relegation threatened clubs, only 7 votes against are required. But I'd say football's return looks more likely to return tonight. If SAGE regards primary schools as safe for kids in June,and is suggesting many workers return tomorrow I think their views on football are pretty obvious. We already know that most governments including the UK government want football to return. That doesn't mean you should too but I don't see how you can interpret tonight's statement as marking the end of the 2020 season.

To be fair he didn't actually need to refer to the Premier League specifically..

He has outlined a social distancing criteria that must be adhered to by all for the next few months.

After out lining the Criteria,it is obvious the Premier league can not resume in any capacity for the foreseeable future without breaching social distancing rules.

It is what is.

I bet there are many Football players, and their families relieved this evening.

It is not just the Victims losing out,so are we.

The 2019/2020 domestic Season will be remembered for City winning the only Silverware.
See Dan Roan on BBC football mate. Not an individual that many City fans will like but likely to be someone who has a good idea as to what is going on.

I don't doubt there are many footballers who are unsure and anxious. But we all are. They're as ever in a very fortunate and favourable position compared to many others.

See Dan Roan on BBC football mate. Not an individual that many City fans will like but likely to be someone who has a good idea as to what is going on.

I don't doubt there are many footballers who are unsure and anxious. But we all are. They're as ever in a very fortunate and favourable position compared to many others.

On Sunday, the PM said people in England will be able to "play sports but only with members of your own household".

Clearly referencing households. Football's return has already been OK'd by government. See BBC football, Dan Roan.

Sorry guys. Going to bed. See you tomorrow.
That quote is from the Dan Roan article you urged us to read - the same one that begins by saying "Prime minister Boris Johnson did not mention professional sport in unveiling plans to reopen society on Sunday."

Disagree. Sport isn’t meaningless, it brings a lot of enjoyment to a lot of people’s lives. Of course death is awful but there’s more to life than mere survival, you live for those times when you’re happy and enjoying yourself. Having some access to or hope of soon accessing sports and leisure pursuits is a big deal for a lot of people. If someone told me I could never hit another tennis ball or hit the pads or go for a run or watch a footy match my life would be immeasurably worse.
The issue isn't about 'sport' in general.

The debate is about the the premier league's desperation to somehow shoehorn the remaining games in while other far more worthy business ventures remain in limbo.

When all things are equal, yes sport does provide pleasure to thousands of people. However there is nothing normal about the current climate. Until we have an effective vaccine then I'm afraid football is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike when it comes to raising the nation's spirit.

The other thing to remember is that these new guidelines "stay alert, control the virus and save lives" is nothing more than a social experiment that enables the government to relinquish all responsibility. The tacit message from the government here is "crack on and we'll see what happens".

The government haven't got the balls to call time on the premier league so they're taking a calculated risk with the general public. A risk that many healthcare advisors have warned will lead to a significant second wave and a higher number of infections and death rates.

So in the great scheme of things the idea of a return of football is rather crass if you ask me. Let's leave all forms of sport until we're in a better place to truly enjoy them again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.