George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
He enacted genuine change, it just always takes a few years to come into effect, and he was working against a Republican controlled House and Senate that publicly bragged about how they were going to just time him out of office.

There's an article discussing his reforms in 2016 here after another police shooting.

https://time.com/4398392/obama-police-reform-report-task-force-on-21st-century-policing/

There's a reason that the Minnesota police union chief took to the stage at a Trump rally last year and said -

“The Obama administration and the handcuffing and oppression of police was despicable,” Kroll said, an apparent reference to post-Ferguson investigations in cities with ling histories of police brutality and killings that had led to a series of Justice Department consent decrees. “The first thing President Trump did when he took office was turn that around — he decided to start let cops do their job, put the handcuffs on the criminals instead of [on] us.”

It's not because Obama and Trump are the same.

Filibustering became the buzz word of the Obama era. I have mixed feelings about Obama - I fully acknowledge those mixed feelings are on the basis of my unrealistically heightened expectations of his time in office - but I really believed he was a fully progressive politician and that was something he most certainly was not. It cannot be ignored though, that he was having to contend with a GOP controlled house and senate. He attempted things, and it was always watered down versions of what I actually wanted him to do, shich still got slapped down anyway- it was an impossible task at times.

He enacted genuine change, it just always takes a few years to come into effect, and he was working against a Republican controlled House and Senate that publicly bragged about how they were going to just time him out of office.

There's an article discussing his reforms in 2016 here after another police shooting.

https://time.com/4398392/obama-police-reform-report-task-force-on-21st-century-policing/

There's a reason that the Minnesota police union chief took to the stage at a Trump rally last year and said -

“The Obama administration and the handcuffing and oppression of police was despicable,” Kroll said, an apparent reference to post-Ferguson investigations in cities with ling histories of police brutality and killings that had led to a series of Justice Department consent decrees. “The first thing President Trump did when he took office was turn that around — he decided to start let cops do their job, put the handcuffs on the criminals instead of [on] us.”

It's not because Obama and Trump are the same.

You back my point of too "little, too late", though and the Dems had control of both Houses early on.

Anyway, talking about that guy pisses me off...

That's horrible to hear mate, sorry about that. Do you know if your aunt or most shop owners in America will have insurance for this sort of thing? I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks mate. She does thankfully, so she and the family will eventually be fine, but she supports the protests because she genuinely fears for her sons' lives every time they leave the house. George Floyd could have easily been one of her kids

Filibustering became the buzz word of the Obama era. I have mixed feelings about Obama - I fully acknowledge those mixed feelings are on the basis of my unrealistically heightened expectations of his time in office - but I really believed he was a fully progressive politician and that was something he most certainly was not. It cannot be ignored though, that he was having to contend with a GOP controlled house and senate. He attempted things, and it was always watered down versions of what I actually wanted him to do, shich still got slapped down anyway- it was an impossible task at times.

He chose to try and compromise'; to be an actual politician until the last 18 months of his tenure.

His "they go low, we go high" ideology wasn't needed at that time of office.

That's where he fucked up.

His neolib tendencies didn't help matters either as you say.

He chose to try and compromise'; to be an actual politician until the last 18 months of his tenure.

His "they go low, we go high" ideology wasn't needed at that time of office.

That's where he fucked up.

His neolib tendencies didn't help matters either as you say.

your insistent slating of Obama is irritating- he is 1000x more of a man and more of a President than Donald Trump, and it’s Trump that’s in charge of America and he is fuelling the flames and has totally lost control with the virus, with the riots , with everything .
This would not be happening under Obama

your insistent slating of Obama is irritating- he is 1000x more of a man and more of a President than Donald Trump, and it’s Trump that’s in charge of America and he is fuelling the flames and has totally lost control with the virus, with the riots , with everything .
This would not be happening under Obama

What's irritating is rose tinting Obama's tenure. The only real difference is him not fanning the flames of unrest.

The conditions of inequality were not that different.

To say, that these riots wouldn't have happened under him is unfounded.

After all the L.A riots happened under Clinton.

Thanks mate. She does thankfully, so she and the family will eventually be fine, but she supports the protests because she genuinely fears for her sons' lives every time they leave the house. George Floyd could have easily been one of her kids
That's great to hear mate. Hopefully the vast majority have insurance and these protests can mainly affect the government and establishment, but not the little people.

You back my point of too "little, too late", though and the Dems had control of both Houses early on.

Anyway, talking about that guy pisses me off...
You must be fucking raging at the shit show that’s followed then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.