George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgetting everything - Maybe America, the president, the governors and certain Police states in America now know that the next time a Police guy unjustifiably murders a black guy without reasonable charge - they won’t be met with peaceful protests - they will be met with complete chaos, anarchy, rioting and looting.

the ball is in the court of the America police to not tread this line

No, the police can't police themselves. It's not even in the court of the politicians that have allowed police to exact open warfare at times.

It's in the court of the people that vote in the same kind of politician, year in, year out cos that's what they're told by the establishment of the parties, who frame this to the MSM. The middle and upper class that want to maintain the status quo cos their bank balance looks good, even if the politician in front of them is a shit heel. The older Black demographic that keeps hoping the Democrats do something for them, this time, maybe...

The apathy of the voter who thinks, these politicians don't represent me as nothing ever changes.

No, it's in the court of the people at the ballot box to truly force change and make the US the truly 'great' country it promised to be.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Aww, thanks, girlBob!

I think what makes me hesitate is watching my wife's head always cranked down to her phone as she peruses FB.

I don't wanna be that guy!

So, I tend to dip my foot in and out of tw@er by googling incidents and reading the threads.

If you are going to sign up, don't do what a lot of people do, and just follow the people you like and already agree with you broadly speaking. I did it that way, thinking why would I want to pollute my timeline with nonsense I vehemently disagree with but as it turns out, I ended up creating a bubble and an echo chamber if you will, and thus always being shocked to the core to find that people vehemently opposed ideas that I considered completely logical and reasonable, and held positions that I found to be utterly vulgar.

So now I follow just enough right leaning people to keep up with the crazy ideas that gaining traction.

I just got word that my aunt's shop, her pride and joy that she started 15 years ago, in Minneapolis is among the many properties that have been burned to ashes.

If you are going to sign up, don't do what a lot of people do, and just follow the people you like and already agree with you broadly speaking. I did it that way, thinking why would I want to pollute my timeline with nonsense I vehemently disagree with but as it turns out, I ended up creating a bubble and an echo chamber if you will, and thus always being shocked to the core to find that people vehemently opposed ideas that I considered completely logical and reasonable, and held positions that I found to be utterly vulgar.

So now I follow just enough right leaning people to keep up with the crazy ideas that gaining traction.

Interesting!

I really haven't decided on it yet! I was more convinced I would, earlier... And then I thought about how long I would last on it. All the noise pollution, the nonsense, the uselessness of the majority of it.

FB lasted... 48hrs at most!

A sad as it is mate, we'll all be saying this the next time it happens, and the time after that etc.

We will, as this is still a bit of lemonade riots and won't change a lot, will be forgotten in some time. It's good step and first one of resistance, but won't cause the real big change. But as long as the reaction is even stronger and yes, more violent, next time(s), one of those will be the real last straw. Either the oppressors will see they can't go the same way forever as other side strikes back, or they will go to full open oppression and then everybody will know what's going on and someone will need to win the final fight.

The problem is that the Democrats bring in changes which the next republican then repeals.

This article pretty thoroughly details all of the Obama police reform policies that Trump with Sessions and Barr's help has destroyed.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...rotests_n_5ed11aa0c5b6228cdfe1b4cf?ri18n=true

Sorry I missed this!

I understand Obama's stuff has been repealed, but that has nothing to do with Obama militarising police forces with superior weaponry when he was in charge as @mat reminded me. It has nothing to do with the amount of Black deaths under Obama's watch and did no forced reform changes at the time.

What he did, or tried to do, was too little too late.

Sorry I missed this!

I understand Obama's stuff has been repealed, but that has nothing to do with Obama militarising police forces with superior weaponry when he was in charge as @mat reminded me. It has nothing to do with the amount of Black deaths under Obama's watch and did no forced reform changes at the time.

What he did, or tried to do, was too little too late.

He enacted genuine change, it just always takes a few years to come into effect, and he was working against a Republican controlled House and Senate that publicly bragged about how they were going to just time him out of office.

There's an article discussing his reforms in 2016 here after another police shooting.

https://time.com/4398392/obama-police-reform-report-task-force-on-21st-century-policing/

There's a reason that the Minnesota police union chief took to the stage at a Trump rally last year and said -

“The Obama administration and the handcuffing and oppression of police was despicable,” Kroll said, an apparent reference to post-Ferguson investigations in cities with ling histories of police brutality and killings that had led to a series of Justice Department consent decrees. “The first thing President Trump did when he took office was turn that around — he decided to start let cops do their job, put the handcuffs on the criminals instead of [on] us.”

It's not because Obama and Trump are the same.

Last edited:
Interesting!

I really haven't decided on it yet! I was more convinced I would, earlier... And then I thought about how long I would last on it. All the noise pollution, the nonsense, the uselessness of the majority of it.

FB lasted... 48hrs at most!

To be fair, initially I just followed and interacted with foorball fans, Chelsea fans mostly, but I became more politically aware/active as time went on. It was also in the early days of Twitter, nearly a decade ago.

If I was signing up now, knowing full well what social media can be like, I'd be more prepared to separate the fact from the nonsense.

I just got word that my aunt's shop, her pride and joy that she started 15 years ago, in Minneapolis is among the many properties that have been burned to ashes.
That's horrible to hear mate, sorry about that. Do you know if your aunt or most shop owners in America will have insurance for this sort of thing? I'm not sure how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.