Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

They have had an horrendous amount of injuries in germany,they have not given tne m time to get fit,they are not used to having three months off in the middle

Good point Karen they haven't really had enough time to get fully match fit, but hopefully the training our boys have been doing at home will help us avoid injuries.

They have had an horrendous amount of injuries in germany,they have not given tne m time to get fit,they are not used to having three months off in the middle

Did they? Do you have a source? Because this was the fear people had before the matches started - but until now it does not look like there would be more muscle injuries than before.

how do you know there hasn't been a meeting of all involved and they have decided the benefits out way the risk the prem gets the pic of the dippers lifting the trophy,good news for the product,the nhs has massive amounts of spare capacity and the media can get back to work,we already knows boris wants it back to raise spirit ,see the dippers story,do you honestly think that we haven't been lied to ever since covid started? When do a government and football bodies not lie to us
also it is just not just about the players involved but they may feel we don't need to hear about everyone else like the medics etc

You are a bright chap,work it out

Of course you may be right.
The premier league may have falsified the results. These results have been quoted by politicians, and have been printed in the media.That makes it a huge story.
This revelation means that there is a massive cover up. If there are dozens of footballers, and medics walking around with the virus, and the premier league is denying it . I wonder why mcfc are part of this cover up, how many of our players have it and not telling the truth. Pep is he keeping this cover up quiet ?
Contrary to your nice words, I am not that "bright", I couldn't imagine a cover up of that scale, especially with so many Bame players, so many individuals to convince to lie, all must have no respect to the truth if indeed it is as you say, all one big cover up.
I think we must respectfully disagree on this matter.

Did they? Do you have a source? Because this was the fear people had before the matches started - but until now it does not look like there would be more muscle injuries than before.
At the moment I don't feel at all excited by the prospect of football behind closed doors. It just won't be the same without fans, and on top of that with rule changes about subs and neutral venues suddenly springing up as well. It is a very poor substitute for the real thing where I can turn up and feel part of an event and enjoy all the pre and post match ritual with mates as well as the event itself, or at least get a feel for the excitement in the stadium by watching on TV. No, it won't be the same at all and in the future the record books and commentators will always put an asterisk on the records of the 2019/20 season. It will always be the Covid season. Not a proper season. And 2020/21 is likely to be the same.

But. In recent weeks my favourite Indian restaurant has started to do takeaway meals. They're not the same quality as when you're sitting there with your Mrs and/or your mates and it comes dished up piping hot and you're having banter together and with the staff and folk at other tables. But, they are a substitute for the real thing, they keep the business going, and they're better than nothing or the curry I make myself. And when I'm eating it, although I think "this is not as good as the real thing" I don't think it is inherently wrong that the business should be trying to survive like this whilst Covid is killing thousands. And I accept the managed risk I and the staff serving or delivering the takeaway are taking.

And then again, I miss my real ale in the local and for the first couple of months there was no substitute except bottled beer with it's fizz inferior taste - only serving it very cold in the hot weather made it drinkable. But then the local started producing 5 litre kegs of real ale on Thursday to Sunday evenings. Ok, so I can't stand at the bar laughing and joking with mates and the bar staff and the regulars like I really want to. And it's not as good as the draught from a hand pump. But it's the best substitute I can get and I'm I'm supporting the business and the risk when I go to collect it is managed by Andy, the landlord, as best he can.

And every business is trying to do the same. And my reaction to their efforts is not to condemn them because Covid is still killing thousands, but to recognise that it is what people do to keep their business afloat, protect their future even if it's not normal service, not as good as the real thing.

So, we ought perhaps to recognise that football is doing what any self-respecting business is trying to do in the current strange and difficult situation. And when it puts on this inferior product, because it can secure takeaway income from the TV, we should think about the hundreds of lower paid jobs that is supporting who work at Premier League clubs and indeed in bookies around the world and in media outlets - these businesses do not just employ overpaid megastars.

And save your sympathy and your thoughts for those lower League and non-league clubs who have no substitute product to sell to TV companies. They rely on gate money and their fans have no inferior TV takeaway to consume. And now, more than ever, they will look to the FA and Premier League for any crumbs to help them survive. The cold leftovers of last night's curry washed down with some dregs of stale ale.

At the moment I don't feel at all excited by the prospect of football behind closed doors. It just won't be the same without fans, and on top of that with rule changes about subs and neutral venues suddenly springing up as well. It is a very poor substitute for the real thing where I can turn up and feel part of an event and enjoy all the pre and post match ritual with mates as well as the event itself, or at least get a feel for the excitement in the stadium by watching on TV. No, it won't be the same at all and in the future the record books and commentators will always put an asterisk on the records of the 2019/20 season. It will always be the Covid season. Not a proper season. And 2020/21 is likely to be the same.

But. In recent weeks my favourite Indian restaurant has started to do takeaway meals. They're not the same quality as when you're sitting there with your Mrs and/or your mates and it comes dished up piping hot and you're having banter together and with the staff and folk at other tables. But, they are a substitute for the real thing, they keep the business going, and they're better than nothing or the curry I make myself. And when I'm eating it, although I think "this is not as good as the real thing" I don't think it is inherently wrong that the business should be trying to survive like this whilst Covid is killing thousands. And I accept the managed risk I and the staff serving or delivering the takeaway are taking.

And then again, I miss my real ale in the local and for the first couple of months there was no substitute except bottled beer with it's fizz inferior taste - only serving it very cold in the hot weather made it drinkable. But then the local started producing 5 litre kegs of real ale on Thursday to Sunday evenings. Ok, so I can't stand at the bar laughing and joking with mates and the bar staff and the regulars like I really want to. And it's not as good as the draught from a hand pump. But it's the best substitute I can get and I'm I'm supporting the business and the risk when I go to collect it is managed by Andy, the landlord, as best he can.

And every business is trying to do the same. And my reaction to their efforts is not to condemn them because Covid is still killing thousands, but to recognise that it is what people do to keep their business afloat, protect their future even if it's not normal service, not as good as the real thing.

So, we ought perhaps to recognise that football is doing what any self-respecting business is trying to do in the current strange and difficult situation. And when it puts on this inferior product, because it can secure takeaway income from the TV, we should think about the hundreds of lower paid jobs that is supporting who work at Premier League clubs and indeed in bookies around the world and in media outlets - these businesses do not just employ overpaid megastars.

And save your sympathy and your thoughts for those lower League and non-league clubs who have no substitute product to sell to TV companies. They rely on gate money and their fans have no inferior TV takeaway to consume. And now, more than ever, they will look to the FA and Premier League for any crumbs to help them survive. The cold leftovers of last night's curry washed down with some dregs of stale ale.

Cracking post. The issue with football fans, in particular those who go to games such as myself, is that a lot of them seem to think it's their game and it owes them something. The analogy of keeping your favourite restaurant going by supporting them even though the product that you love is a great one. The problem with football fans is they think that they are more important than the game itself, when the truth is we are just one part of a cog which creates the beautiful game we all love. Clearly it will always be better with fans, the clubs aren't choosing this but are forced into it by a global pandemic. The clubs need our support more than ever.

We have a sense of fear about going out, a sense of fear about interaction, a sense of fear that is disabling for individuals and for society. At one moment it was possibly justified. We had a sound fear of the unknown. But Covid-19 is no longer unknown. It may not be finished yet but for the moment the fears expressed in this topic are, I believe, unjustifiable and an expression of the political climate of the age, a period when liberals have become the new moralists (Cummings, NY Times sacking an editor for an opinion piece).

Plus, contrary to what he said, the standard has not got better in the 3 weeks i've been watching German footy.

Tried to watch a match the first week it came back and it was hard, yet they fill their stadiums in the main which beggars belief.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.