Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

I have finally sussed that the two largish brightly coloured birds that have been visiting my feeder over the last few weeks are woodpeckers....im made up.
Nice one. I could be wrong but I don't think woodpeckers are common nowadays, especially in a garden. My mate has a couple visit his garden and I was lucky enough to see them feeding a few months ago. He reckons they live in Reddish Vale woods. Lovely birds close up.

BMR,...yeh mate,i was surprised myself,but when they were in my garden this morning i googled it and 100% sure they were woodpeckers.
Read up on it a bit and the lesser spotted version is popular in England,i have a bit of a country park/woods at the side of my house,so they are probably nesting there.

I am battling with house sparrows at the moment, trying to get them to feed on separate feeders and put in food for other birds that they 'dont like'. They eat everything. They're locusts. Everything else is slowly dissipating and not coming back as the sparrows mob the fuck out of the other birds.

Just a note about bird feeders in the garden, make sure you get squirrel proof ones if you have them at all.

The standard feeders will attract vermin.

Squirrels got in the loft of my Mum and Dad's a few years ago and they were attracted there due to the feeders in the garden. They were a nightmare to get rid of. And I still don't know who ran first when I first laid eyes on one of the little shits in the loft, me or it!!

Also, 2018 I saw a bloody rat going up the bird table to get on the feeders.

Not a cat in hell's chance I will have feeders again, no matter how nice it is to look out at the birds on them.

I am battling with house sparrows at the moment, trying to get them to feed on separate feeders and put in food for other birds that they 'dont like'. They eat everything. They're locusts. Everything else is slowly dissipating and not coming back as the sparrows mob the fuck out of the other birds.

We have the same problem but with starlings.

Nice one. I could be wrong but I don't think woodpeckers are common nowadays, especially in a garden. My mate has a couple visit his garden and I was lucky enough to see them feeding a few months ago. He reckons they live in Reddish Vale woods. Lovely birds close up.

Great spotted woodpeckers are becoming more common and we get them regularly although they are quite timid. The male has a red patch on the back of its head while the female doesn't. Babies/juveniles have a red crest on top of their head which gradually disappears. We saw a mother and baby feeding in the garden a couple of days ago.

The lesser spotted woodpecker isn't much bigger than a sparrow and is quite rare. The green woodpecker is a spectacular bird but we haven't seen one in our garden for years.

We have the same problem but with starlings.

aye in my old house they were rampant but not so much here, much more modest numbers. The goldfinch came back for a nosey at the sunflower hearts today, but the house sparrows, which dont even seem to like that feed much, still came down to guard it and fly around battling each other. Goldfinch obviously though "fuck this for a laugh" and pottered off.

Thr robins nesting in the hedge next to the house have been working from dawn TIL dusk bringing bugs and worms for their young. They’ve been at this for a fortnight. The young must be very near to fledging by now.

Great spotted woodpeckers are becoming more common and we get them regularly although they are quite timid. The male has a red patch on the back of its head while the female doesn't. Babies/juveniles have a red crest on top of their head which gradually disappears. We saw a mother and baby feeding in the garden a couple of days ago.

The lesser spotted woodpecker isn't much bigger than a sparrow and is quite rare. The green woodpecker is a spectacular bird but we haven't seen one in our garden for years.
They were definitely lesser spotted woodpeckers pal. Thanks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.