Burnley (H) Post Match Thread

Interesting squad selection - no "room" for Ake, Laporte and Aguero - and an eyebrow raising team - Foden and Sterling only on the bench and Garcia actually on it, while Mahrez had kept his place - but in the event it showed that the confidence Pep had been exuding all week was not at all misplaced. Stones had a dominant game, Mahrez was direct and decisive, de Bruyne imperious and the whole team had a real appetite but Mendy deserves special mention. I thought his career had been ruined by knee injuries and the difficulties of coming back and we can't expect him to be the player he was in 2017 too soon, but on Wednesday and yesterday he was recognizably himself and his goal was a delight. It's too soon to say that City are over their "troubles" but yesterday we were recognizable as the City of two seasons ago but this season is going to be more of a long distance race and it will be those clubs which can cope with 3 matches a week, week after week which will win the prizes and in that case Pep's squad and team selection yesterday and his ability to motivate the players may well point to a very successful season.

Mahrez seemed much more direct than usual from the very first minute when he took the full back out.

Perhaps words have been said because this is what he is capable of. And yet we do not see it enough. Keep this up.

As far as I am concerned this Burnley side can go down. They have offered the Premier League nothing other than long ball anti-football since they came up and I never enjoy watching them.

We need to regularly rotate our midfield and forwards from now on because this season is like no other. KDB's passing was excellent but I thought he still was short of his top level when running with the ball and we have to be careful with him because if we are to do anything this season we have to have our best players in a good condition come April/May

The last two performances should give us hope. Olympiakos was a step change in intensity. Today Mahrez went for his full back. Burnley though were wretched. That goal from the throw-in...

Liverpool also give me hope. Their last two performances have been as bad as I can remember. They used to be able to grind out wins. Van Dijk would ensure a clean sheet whilst Salah or Mane would ensure at least 2-3 moments of magic in a generally mediocre game but they are well down on their level too.

We have to find a way of playing with intensity this season and I think it's going to be by unprecedented rotation. Foden and Bernardo in for the next game.

Biggest problem will be maintaining scoring without Aguero. Jesus has been top quality since he came back but we'll need Torres and Sterling to weigh in too.

Hopes raised.
Burnley and Palace are two who I'd like to see go down.

It seems vital in our play that we score the first goal it draws the opposing centre halves up the field and that’s where we need them to be as they get left exposed and we could nt do that v Spurs but managed it yesterday v Burnley . We moved the ball quicker and we got crosses in the box quicker with quality which was missing in previous games. If we can get the back up players also on form I - e , Stones etc will be paramount over these 2 hectic months of football

Watched it with Mark Halsey he didn't see it either.
We were having a pop at Mahrez before kickoff he soon shut us up Mahrez different player great performance
Last time I saw Halsey he'd turned up as guest ref at a youth tournament. 30 other refs vying to be his assistants on an under 18s game, then most of them staying to watch, and wincing at the intensity of the tackles he allowed (basically using Premier League levels of tolerance for young amateurs).

Still don't know why that 1st half goal was disallowed. There are highlights on YouTube and from the cross nobody was offside. Don't know how with var that was missed and not checked by the ref. It all seemed rushed. It seems if the linesman's flag goes up then that's the end of debate.
It was checked, it was also explained, as the cross goes in nobody is offside, but Jesus and Torres both went for it, and Jesus header hits Torres head, who is by then offside. The assistant "guesses" (no way he saw it from there) and gets lucky when VAR micro check it at super slow motion speed. Another sign that these twats try and stop us at every opportunity, I'm sure they're all under instruction if there is the slightest doubt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.