Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're better off not reading it TBH.

'Such a club’s success is also football’s problem for allowing almost free rein in terms of ownership.'

It's got his usual racist undertones throughout.

He also gets his usual 'it's not fair that FFP doesn't apply to them' line in. If you question him on Twitter he can never explain how that works exactly, just like the idiots who claim we have a bigger squad than everybody else.

Spot on, he always reverts to this....

"The deeper reasons (for city's success) warrant deeper discussion"

Yet he never outlines what these "deeper reasons" are.

There's a simple reason why we have a more expensive squad and better players than most other teams. We've now played 10 consecutive CL campaigns and will have earned something like £550m from doing that after this season. No other PL team has managed that, not United, Chelsea or Liverpool (who've only been in 4 CL campaigns in the same time).

That's where the money comes from. Yes - we've earned it.

Last edited:
He's not 29.

A quick look at his linkedIn page says he started university in 2000 which makes him 39 at the youngest.
Linkedin is generally only available to others in that organisation l think. Henry Winter is the only football journo who seems to have a wiki entry.
All these twats seem very reluctant to give info out about themselves to the general public but love to say whatever they want about others.

There's a simple reason why we have more a more expensive squad and better players than most other teams. We've now played 10 consecutive CL campaigns and will have earned something like £550m from doing that after this season. No other PL team has managed that, not United, Chelsea or Liverpool (who've only been in 4 CL campaigns in the same time).

That's where the money comes from. Yes - we've earned it.

And we've spent it on the club.

I agree that you should be very selective in how you react to things. But over many years Delaney has repeatedly claimed we are state-owned and state-backed which is false (and proven to be false by three judges at CAS). Our accounts have been independently audited for more than a decade.
I am hopeful that behind the scenes we have complained privately to senior people at the Independent though given the nature of its Russian and Saudi owners that might be a hopeless task.
I believe that, within the media, City are known as a "soft touch" compared to other clubs and it is important that journalists understand that, if required, we will take action. It is about how we are perceived. Meanwhile I actually think our coverage has improved since CAS.
I am in complete agreement that Delaney is the worst kind of hypocritical scum and I wouldn't dream of reading any article the carried his name. We all know that he spouts a pack of lies and that his motive is essentially to comfort his employers and the supporters of clubs who are finding it increasingly difficult to keep pace with us, in particular ... From what I gather, as they find it more difficult to keep up his fiction gets wilder and wilder. The problem is that we are collectively very oversensitive on the question of club ownership and finance because we know that our owners observe all the barmy regulations put in place scrupulously and every comment made by the lunatic Delaney arouses anger and raises blood pressure. That's what wind up merchants rely on. If we took it to court, as some (not you, I know) would like, I suspect the court would find it incredible that we even felt insulted at an "accusation" that we were state owned or had owners who invested in the club. They may decide that the real remedy was to challenge FFP in the courts, which wouldn't be welcomed at all by our owners. The press council would agree it was a factual error and might order the independent to print a retraction which would appear in small print somewhere in the online edition. If the club has "put pressure" on the Independent I hope it has some effect but it could be that less emphasis on state ownership and more on state backing is the paper's answer. The real problem is that Delaney's rag is owned by Russians and Saudis, whose commitment to journalistic integrity is ....

Last edited:
I am in complete agreement that Delaney is the worst kind of hypocritical scum and I wouldn't dream of reading any article the carried his name. We all know that he spouts a pack of lies and that his motive is essentially to comfort his employers and the supporters of clubs who are finding it increasingly difficult to keep pace with it, in particular ... From what I gather, as they find it more difficult to keep up his fiction gets wilder and wilder. The problem is that we are collectively very oversensitive on the question of club ownership and finance because we know that our owners observe all the barmy regulations put in place scrupulously and every comment made by the lunatic Delaney arouses anger and raises blood pressure. That's what wind up merchants rely on. If we took it to court, as some (not you, I know) would like, I suspect the court would find it incredible that we even felt insulted at an "accusation" that we were state owned or had owners who invested in the club. They may decide that the real remedy was to challenge FFP, which wouldn't be welcomed at all by our owners. The press council would agree it was a factual error and might order the independent to print a retraction which would appear in small print somewhere in the online edition. If the club has "put pressure" on the Independent I hope it has some effect but it could be that less emphasis on state ownership and more on state backing is the paper's answer. The real problem is that Delaney's rag is owned by Russians and Saudis, whose commitment to journalistic integrity is ....
Agreed. Legal action for defamation is rarely the right course of action for many reasons. The only one we should have sued over was the Rob Harris (AP news agency) public accusation after the treble that suggested Pep had been paid "off books" either to dodge tax or FFP rules. That was a public allegation of criminality against Pep. It was a personal attack and if we had sued then (as in all defamation cases) Harris would have had to prove it was true. It would never have gone to court but would have shut the poison down from a lot of sources and finished the career of Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.