Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
lfc winning last year has helped us a lot! Who would have thought!

That made me go and look on YouTube about our guard of honour. The first time I have seen it from the beginning.
Why did liverpool take so long to come out ? I bet liverpool thought they were being clever and making us wait ;) . So hows it going this season dippers. You made us wait for you, that mad City angry ;)

I have seen the Bernie clip loads of time lol still makes me laugh , a great big coat, a brew and fucks off before the end lol hero !

“Look at their bench” and “squad depth” are the two phrases I hear repeatedly ad nauseum.

Yet, both Liverpool and Utd have greater wage bills.

All teams can only name a squad of a set size. We’ve chosen to build a balanced squad over a number of years, paying sizeable transfers but not the top end fees both Liverpool and Utd have made, whilst avoiding costly errors like Sanchez.

And this allows us to contemplate a quadruple. Being involved in more comps gives us more opportunity to give all squad members ample game time. And you have to be in it to win it.

Michael Jordan in the Netflix doc echoes this same thought, telling his teammates “ to maintain dominance over our opponent, we must deny them opportunities to gain confidence”.

That’s what this Pep squad does. We take the Carabao Cup seriously because it denies others the chance to make their season look acceptable. Similarly, in each individual game, we treat the ball as ours to again prevent opposition from getting confidence.

The longer the others fail to grasp what we are quite openly doing the better.
I agree about the League Cup. It has been important to us because it usually allows us to bag an early season trophy (not this year). This gives us momentum to push for more trophies. It also sends a signal to our rivals that we are relentless. I also love the fact that Pep "doesn't do friendlies." He treats the Community Shield like a CL game. I have no respect for Managers who disrespect competitions.

You could have the best 11 on the pitch and the best bench in the world. But the champions league is a knockout competition. If the ref goes against you, if VAR goes against, if the opposition keeper has a worldie, you could be knocked out.

Fuck me liverpool must have been the luckiest winners ever the last time they won it. They played in the worse final I have every seen, bloody awful standard of football v spurs. Lost about 4 matches getting to the final ( I think ). Utter shit of a final and an embarrassment to the standard of the premier league. Both liverpool and spurs had shit loads of help to get to that final

All this crap about the champions league, going by the pundits, the premier league winners should win the league and fa cup ever year. As they are the best in the league ! How often does the premier league winner do the treble ?

We all know City are a tremendous team because the press/media keep moving the goal posts, have ti win back to back, done, domestic treble, done, now City have do the treble again and win the champions league to be a great team. Just piss off ! the press/media should be falling over City , best team every , breaking records for fun, run without dept, puts millions into East Manchester.
But the two red teams cant do anything wrong their owners take millions out every year , both have old crapy grounds, both have dept, both dont do anything for their communities.

I really hate most of the press/media in England.
This.
last few years quarter finals.
Monaco. Knocked out on away goals to a very good team. However could have been different if in the first leg, we got that early penalty and red card for their keeper. Major error against us.

Dippers. 2 of the most corrupt games I have ever seen. Pep wearing his Catalan independence pin so they give us a Spanish ref. Coach attack, corrupt officiating over both legs.

Spurs. Again narrow margins. Missed penalty 1st leg and again major incorrect decision against us in 2nd with the handball goal which they only showed the angle which clearly showed the handball after the game and our last minute winner ruled out but still not seen proof it was offsid.

Lyon. Our own fault in large but yet again a major incorrect decision for their 2nd goal and fine margins with Sterling missing a sitter to equalise.

Amazing we have had 4 errors, 5 if you include both legs v Dippers in the last 4 QF CL games all against us and nothing for us. Only heard 1 commentator mention things have gone against recently. No one looks at why we have not got passed the QF stage. Expect the same this season if we get to that stage.

Give me the PL over the CL any day. PL takes consistency where CL you need luck and fair officiating ( though we rarely get that either in the PL)

A new footballing spring. That's poetry right there, well done that man.

But it sums up what I've been trying to tell many others. mostly non-City fans for while.

Liverpool's era lasted 15 years, United's 20. Notwithstanding, that we're likely to chalk up our fifth title in last 9 years, I think we're about to embark on a similar 20 year era where we could rack up another 15 titles.

Rationale. Post pandemic we are admittedly fortunate that our owners aren't subject to market forces in the same manner as others, nor we as reliant on matchday income. Our nearest rivals are having to compete financially with us and reinvest to match up against a squad which is as close to complete as it gets, with a style of play embedded through the club down to junior academy players.

United are a cash cow for their owners. The leveraged buy-out is an ever-tightening noose around their neck. Their owners core business is retail malls. In recent weeks comparable commercial property owners have written down book value of assets by, in one case, as much as 85%. Money is travelling one way back to the US from Old Trafford, itself a ground that looks beyond dated and requires tens of millions spending on it.

Liverpool have a business model that demands a return on investment. Moneyball approach has done well to identify a player such as Robertson but they can't game the system indefinitely and this approach has a limit i.e. having to sign the world's most expensive defender and goalkeeper. Major stadium work still required and anything they do is still going to look 20th Century compared to their neighbours plans.

Realistically, until United and Liverpool find new owners any challenge they pose will be fleeting based on players having a breakout season. United's owners will probably float the company entirely, as they've started the drip feed onto the stock market already. Liverpool's most likely suitor, which will be the irony of ironies, will come from the Middle East, probably Saudi, oil money, dodgy human rights, buying success etc..

Chelsea will have sporadic success but manager churn prevents any sustainability. Spurs are beyond skint and have gone cap in hand to the government. Their business plan has been decimated due to lockdown and an eye-wateringly expensive, high-spec stadium to pay for. If Arsenal sort out their boardroom squabbles and back their manager then, with their stadium development complete, they could be best placed to challenge out of all of them.

It's strange then that no journalist dares point out what is staring them in the face. Unfortunately, the furthest they'll attempt to look ahead is the often risible season predictions each August. Christ, they all thought Spurs were winning the league in November!

Onwards. The new footballing spring!

They all know what is in the wind, hence the rhetoric in last couple days.

Tebas demanding a salary cap, Solskjaer admitting they don't have the cash to splurge like other clubs this summer.

Pundits bemoaning the lack of quality in the league and City making a mockery of it.

It's all pre-emptive to rachet the narrative that if we sign Messi and Haaland this summer, not only is it morally unacceptable during a pandemic, it will take us to a different planet.

It's done to smear what they have long dismissed as a possibility.

Manchester City FC being the dominant team in England and Europe for the rest of this decade.

It's fucking delicious. Taste the salty tears, collect them up with all the trophies we amass.

They thought this was as bad as it could get with City.

They tried to bury us but Pep and Khaldoon ensured the seeds were always going to bloom.

A new footballing Spring.

I do wonder what the club will do to knock this media narrative on the head. In 2018, Klopp's Liverpool arrived and distracted people from the "City domination inevitable" moral panic, but this time they might not.

As fun as it would be for fans, I don't think the hierarchy want City to be seen as this country's PSG or Bayern winning by default with the most expensive squad and the most money spent every year. I don't think it's a coincidence that our gross transfer spend and the amount of transfer fees invested in the squad are so neck and neck with Chelsea and United, nor that our wage bill is right in the same ball park as United and Liverpool's. They've found ways to push spending without actually jumping miles ahead.

Pep's said multiple times in press conferences how much United have spent, and what our net spend was last summer, which are things he's been told or looked up specifically to use, it's not an accident. Pep can joke about it, but they do care.

If we do win a quadruple and follow it up with Haaland and Messi, there is going to have to be some move to counter the idea that the competition is dead.

More academy players coming through and being relied on would help - it not only reduces the numbers but also, it's impossible to deny you're doing the world a favour by bringing kids through. A big sale to hang our hat on perhaps.

A key part of what made Barcelona an attractive model to copy was that they achieved dominance and admiration equally. Domestically we can't do that, but I also don't think they want to be hated like United in the 90's by everyone who isn't a fan.

The rumoured move away from Etihad might be a good start, but it's not a great environment to go sponsor shopping.

Just heard a Sky radio advert where the guy says: “And the noisy neighbours,Man City,take on Man Utd”. Can’t help themselves indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.